The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myah_94
I don't get 1)a) answer on the specimen paper..is there anyone who understands it and can explain?

I've literally just done that one, well in replication, you know the DNA strand unzips right? So split the strand into two and you'll have two single strands, then a new strand joins onto the old strands (remember semi conservative replication so one original strand and one new strand), and so just join those half strands with their complimentary base pairs and you'll end up with two identical strands like the markscheme asks for
I have a quick question regarding the potometer q in the specimen paper. In the specimen paper it says the students recorded the time and distance of the air bubble every 30 secs and asked what else they could measure to compare water loss between different plants. The answer was the surface area of the leaves because different leaves have different surface areas.

Why couldn't the measurement have been mass because the greater the reduction in mass, the more water was being lost?
Original post by Magenta96
ugh I know, it's a good thing they're quite generous with the grade boundaries though

exactly. like out of ALL the things they could ask us, its has to be about shrimp eyes....... wtf.........

anyway, does anybody know what it means to 'carry out reciprocal crosses'? It's to do with breeding apparently. Thanks!
Original post by Layontheland
Well the answer is 8.
If you look at the diagram
pictureee.png
You can see 3 sets of identical chromosomes. Due to there being three different chromosomes you can identify how many different combinations you can form. 2^3 = 8 different combinations of paternal and maternal chromosomes.

Where exactly does the 2^3 some from?
Does anyone know the answer to this question in Jan 2012 question 3b???? ( http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL2-QP-JAN12.PDF )
Its the question about 'how many different genera are shown in this diagram'? How would you work it out? Cheers
Original post by FLYINGSPANIARD
Does anyone know the answer to this question in Jan 2012 question 3b???? ( http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-BIOL2-QP-JAN12.PDF )
Its the question about 'how many different genera are shown in this diagram'? How would you work it out? Cheers

Genera is the first name - as in Felix tiger , Felix would be the genera , so you just count the no of first names in the diagram

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers! Iv been wondering about that one for ages!
I know roughly everything for this, just need to go through everything again quickly over tonight, then will start papers from tomorrow morning :biggrin:

anyone else doing chem2 aswell?
Reply 888
Original post by PoorLoser
I know roughly everything for this, just need to go through everything again quickly over tonight, then will start papers from tomorrow morning :biggrin:

same here :smile: I do chem2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by homefind
same here :smile: I do chem2 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

how are you feeling for chem2?
I think I'm slightly more prepared for chem2 than biol2, or come to mention it, psychology unit 2.

Completely unprepared for psychology :frown:
Reply 890
Original post by lettucesoap
has anybody done the January 2011 paper?
this **** is hard

I have.its horrible isn't it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 891
I think I'm slightly more prepared for chem2 than biol2, or come to mention it, psychology unit 2.

I'm more prepared Chem 2 then psychology unit 2 then biol2.Biol2 is just not going in.im getting the most obvious things wrong :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chelley2
I'm more prepared Chem 2 then psychology unit 2 then biol2.Biol2 is just not going in.im getting the most obvious things wrong :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully, I should be OK with CHEM2. But those damn equations just aren't going in! :frown: (metal extractions and the hundred other formulas i have to memorise :/)

With BIOL2, I've downloaded the notes from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2212505

I'm planning to just keep reading them :P

and for psychology unit 2, I just found some notes I made for stress and social influence. I'm making some revision card thingys for abnormality and then I'll start memorising that over tonight :biggrin:

first, I need to fix my printer to print these biol2 notes :/
Reply 893
Hopefully, I should be OK with CHEM2. But those damn equations just aren't going in! :frown: (metal extractions and the hundred other formulas i have to memorise :/)

With BIOL2, I've downloaded the notes from here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2212505

I'm planning to just keep reading them :P

and for psychology unit 2, I just found some notes I made for stress and social influence. I'm making some revision card thingys for abnormality and then I'll start memorising that over tonight :biggrin:

first, I need to fix my printer to print these biol2 notes :/

Same here .equations for metal extraction are starting to annoy living shatt out of me.theres just tooo many.
I just need a bit more practise in biol2 hopefully I'll be ok :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow you're extremely prepared :smile: i'm still making notes lol i'm doing chem2 as well, how you feeling about it? btw did you sit bio1 last week?
Original post by Tee Logan x
Oh wow you're extremely prepared :smile: i'm still making notes lol i'm doing chem2 as well, how you feeling about it? btw did you sit bio1 last week?

I have to be prepared, I've got chem2, Biol2 and psya2 as well as C4 maths im completely not prepared for lol

fairly confident for chem2, just the equations i need to memorise, they don't seem to want to stay in my brain :frown:

yeh I did Biol1, was an OK paper imo, I quite liked most of the questions, except a few including the active transport one as well as one talking about units or something. Other than that, it was fine. I failed my ISA for biology so i need to do super well for this exam as well as biol2!
Reply 896

WOOP we do the same subjects haha!

Ye i feel equally prepared for the sciences, however, sciences have definitely been at higher priority than psychology unit 2 but im not panicking over it... yet! i have covered most of psyb2 material now :tongue:
Reply 897
Does anyone know where a Jan 2013 paper for Bio Unit 2 is available? Please, it'd really help me out
Reply 898
heres a challenge: does anyone have the june 2009 mark scheme? cant find it anywhere :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jay95
heres a challenge: does anyone have the june 2009 mark scheme? cant find it anywhere :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here you go:

http://wbs.eu.com/index.php/folders/category/181-unit-2?download=738:aqa-biol2-w-ms-jun09

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending