Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how much does everyone here write about the researched business? I tend to either write few 5-6 lines or I end up writing a huge chunk of a story (ect the merge between chrysler and diamler story)

ReputationRep:
    I need a low C of 63 UMS to get A overall in Business, but im so worried for this exam tommorow!!

Anyone else think an Essay on Retrenchment might come up on Section B ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunty27)
    What grade does 60 ums =
    C

(Original post by snowster)
    Ok so I need 50 UMS to get a B overall. I need less than half marks to get that? Damn!
    It depends every year. But for june 2012 and june 2011, they had the same boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAhmedd)
    I made a fatal error on not re-siting Unit 3 oh how I regret that decision :/ and I re-sat Unit 2 and yes as you've said it was a DREAM i'm hoping for full ums . My grade is business studies (Most likely C ) will stop me from going UCL and my insurance QM :rolleyes: going to be re-sitting unit 3 next year
    Why did you choose to resist unit 2 instead of unit 3? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeb123)
    I need a low C of 63 UMS to get A overall in Business, but im so worried for this exam tommorow!!

Anyone else think an Essay on Retrenchment might come up on Section B ?
    I think it's quite likely..

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone researching for retrenchment??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadster)
    Why did you choose to resist unit 2 instead of unit 3? :confused:
    Because I make really dumb decisions and now im going to be regretting that decision come results day

ReputationRep:
    what example did everyone use for competitive environment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james2557)
    What is everyone researching for retrenchment??
    Sony Royal Mail Thorntons

ReputationRep:
    For Retrenchment ive used:

Nokia - 40,000 Job Losses

Sony - 10,000 Job Losses

Tesco - Leaving the US market with their Fresh & Easy Stores due to Net Losses

Starbucks - Selling 61 out of 80 stores in Australia, as the market their is too competitive and their products are too expensive compared to their competitors

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any idea of predicted questions that might come up?

Also, what should I revise??
    I'm just a bit lost as to what to focus on because theres quite a lot, what do i NEED to know??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zeb123)
    For Retrenchment ive used:

Nokia - 40,000 Job Losses

Sony - 10,000 Job Losses

Tesco - Leaving the US market with their Fresh & Easy Stores due to Net Losses

Starbucks - Selling 61 out of 80 stores in Australia, as the market their is too competitive and their products are too expensive compared to their competitors
    Which of those 4 would I use FOR retrenchment and which would I use AGAINST? x

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone post the questions that came up in 2013 jan. for both section a and b. won't let me go on past paper and I don't even no what there research theme was. Surely whatever came up in jan won't come up now...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadster)
    For section B, i haven't really picked a number of businesses and researched everything about them in detail like with section A, but rather found several examples that fit in with each of the different topic areas that could come up e.g. retrenchment, csr and ethics, globalisation, economic climate etc etc
    What other topic areas should I get examples for other than them 4? Im guessing its a case of name dropping and outlining the effects etc on the company? sorry for all the questions haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofiax0)
    here are my notes on them
    These notes are amazing! :O It's a lot to ask but would you be able to upload a few more? Maybe a few for Section B if you can ?

ReputationRep:
    Because I make really dumb decisions and now im going to be regretting that decision come results day
    Aw don't say that. I'm sure your unit 2 mark has gone up to at least 115 if not full UMS and you could get around 90 in this exam, giving you an A overall

ReputationRep:
    You could use Nokia for retrenchment as it enabled them to focus on the lumia which over Christmas showed really good sales

ReputationRep:
    Sony Royal Mail Thorntons
    Me too!!! Tutor2u have a lot of awesome research stuff on retrenchment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicejackson95)
    Which of those 4 would I use FOR retrenchment and which would I use AGAINST? x
    Starbucks and Tesco are showing that retrenchment is the best strategy to use

Nokia to an extent is the same however you can say technological firms such as Nokia should develop new products instead of cutting too much, Nokia new Lumia is having good sales so its improving

Sony are cutting back and changing their business strategy and focus, they have developed the new PS4 which has had good pre-orders and is expected to have good sales so you can argue, yes retrenchment may work however they should also develop new ideas and change the culture, strategy to still be successful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbr118)
    What other topic areas should I get examples for other than them 4? Im guessing its a case of name dropping and outlining the effects etc on the company? sorry for all the questions haha
    Hmm strategies, missions, aims and objectives, impact of technological changes, legislation, government intervention etc (:
    Don't just name drop, make sure you include facts and figures and properly apply any examples you include. That way you'll max your app marks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.