Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

• Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Liked the characters and the Doctor's argument with himself. I [think] I like how the Doctor fancies Clara. But the plot overall was a bit 'meh' and didn't really see the point of having the children there. Also, I don't know why the cybermen were supposed to be scarier: personally, I thought they had baby faces!
    I loved the new design on the cybermen. I definitely feel like it made them seem more sophisticated and, thus, scarier!

I concur on the "fancying Clara" thing. Although that might just be because I fancy her myself.

ReputationRep:
    Something about Clara thats just like *swoon*

I didn't think this one was very good. Clara was incredibly annoying. I don't believe her or relate to her character at all

ReputationRep:
    It was alright. I feel like the episode had a lot more potential than that though. There were a few points I liked (the chess, the doctor's internal debates, Clara questioning which 'doctor' it was, the cyberman and the remnants of the war), but the plot and the character interactions felt a bit butchered. I think it was intended to be a more serious episode (which could have worked) but the execution just wasn't there on some levels.

The next episode looks good though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Clara is River Song?

We see River's grave, in the tardis it's almost like River knows what she is about to do, we know he whispered River his name when they married.
    In the trailer, River and Clara are talking at the same time. Hence, Clara can't be River.

And besides, if anyone recalls, from the first time we met River in "Silence of the library" and "Forest of the dead", River dies, but is saved by the doctor, (David Tennant) when she lives on in the dream universe. So perhaps her gravestone in the trailer has something to do with that?

ReputationRep:
    Personally feel you guys are being over-critical of DW, in fact, a lot of fans of the show just seem to be nitpicking at everything. Instead of criticising the writing, why not sit back and just enjoy it for what it is. It isn't the same mess it was during the Amy Pond era.

I think this was actually a really good episode, the Cybermen were actually terrifying for once and for the first time since the reboot I felt as though one Cyberman would be enough to destroy a planet. The Cybus ones from DT era were terrible in comparison because the only scare factor they had was their reputation. The ability for them to just upgrade any weaknesses was good too, however, maybe a bit unsustainable.

The emperor was actually quite a good character too, in my opinion. That being said, that girl was annoying and a bit unrealistic. A ~7 year old randomly finds out that her babysitter is a time traveller then decides to blackmail her into letting her go on a trip rather than being in awe. Just to top it off, when she gets taken to another planet she seems so apathetic and isn't grateful at all.

It was nice how at the end of the episode the camera panned up to show a spaceship remaining near the planet though, means they can avoid coming out of nothing when all of them had been wiped out - like they've often done with the Daleks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by rhw)
    That being said, that girl was annoying and a bit unrealistic. A ~7 year old randomly finds out that her babysitter is a time traveller then decides to blackmail her into letting her go on a trip rather than being in awe. Just to top it off, when she gets taken to another planet she seems so apathetic and isn't grateful at all.
    Oh God. This annoyed the hell out of me, too. ***** you just travelled through time and space to another planet, with a theme park that has been recreated to look like the moon overlooking the Earth, with exploded galaxies in the sky and surrounded by technology you'll never see ever in your lifetime. That **** is ****ing amazing; when I was 7 I would **** myself with excitement to see a lion in the zoo! Piss off back to doing your times tables if that isn't interesting enough for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    That being said, that girl was annoying and a bit unrealistic. A ~7 year old randomly finds out that her babysitter is a time traveller then decides to blackmail her into letting her go on a trip rather than being in awe. Just to top it off, when she gets taken to another planet she seems so apathetic and isn't grateful at all.
    I didn't find her a useful addition to this episode at all, to be honest. The start of the episode in general felt really fake and rushed, a bit unnatural for DW. The boy got only a couple lines, and as someone else said, the girl's acting wasn't very good.

But it is next episode (the finale) on May 18th I both anticipate and dread for depending how it goes, it could either help or hinder the series a lot.

I'm in the middling camp...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhw)
    The emperor was actually quite a good character too, in my opinion. That being said, that girl was annoying and a bit unrealistic. A ~7 year old randomly finds out that her babysitter is a time traveller then decides to blackmail her into letting her go on a trip rather than being in awe. Just to top it off, when she gets taken to another planet she seems so apathetic and isn't grateful at all.
    The girl was not ~7, she was more like 13. The boy was probably about 7.

WRT the doctor fancying Clara, I don't think he does. I think the cyberthing assumed he did because so much of his brain was taken up with thinking about her.

Right, time to look for the prequel :teeth:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by aoxa)
    In the trailer, River and Clara are talking at the same time. Hence, Clara can't be River.

And besides, if anyone recalls, from the first time we met River in "Silence of the library" and "Forest of the dead", River dies, but is saved by the doctor, (David Tennant) when she lives on in the dream universe. So perhaps her gravestone in the trailer has something to do with that?
    You need to spoiler your post.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was thinking a regeneration of her, when it comes to Time Lords they can always make sure there;s a final regeneration. Hmmm..

Do we know which planet the library is on?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Forgot another thing that I liked: the shoutout to this bad boy.

ReputationRep:

[SPOILER] I was thinking a regeneration of her, when it comes to Time Lords they can always make sure there;s a final regeneration. Hmmm..

[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the spoiler thing

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not sure about the regeneration thing - River's not a Time Lord?

And the library wasn't on a planet, it was a planet in its own right - the Lux family built it for CAL (Charlotte Ann Lux, if memory serves correct)

I don't think your spoiler tag worked either :/

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was thinking a regeneration of her, when it comes to Time Lords they can always make sure there;s a final regeneration. Hmmm..

You need to spoiler it in your quote too

Spoiler:
    Show
    But she gave up her regenerations to save the Doctor, so it can't be that.
    And I think it was just called The Library :dontknow:

(Original post by rhw)
    Personally feel you guys are being over-critical of DW, in fact, a lot of fans of the show just seem to be nitpicking at everything. Instead of criticising the writing, why not sit back and just enjoy it for what it is. It isn't the same mess it was during the Amy Pond era.

I think this was actually a really good episode, the Cybermen were actually terrifying for once and for the first time since the reboot I felt as though one Cyberman would be enough to destroy a planet. The Cybus ones from DT era were terrible in comparison because the only scare factor they had was their reputation. The ability for them to just upgrade any weaknesses was good too, however, maybe a bit unsustainable.

It was nice how at the end of the episode the camera panned up to show a spaceship remaining near the planet though, means they can avoid coming out of nothing when all of them had been wiped out - like they've often done with the Daleks.
    Really? I didn't think they were that scary at all

ReputationRep:
    What is it with this series and underwhelming endings? Activating a bomb and then teleporting to safety is not an exciting ending, it's extremely anti-climatic. Once the bomb was set how hard would it have been for the writers to limit the tech the empire ship had so that The Doctor and everyone else had to get to an extraction point to get teleported into the ship? If that was the case they would have had to find a way to slip past the cybermen to get there, this would have made the cybermen a lot more relevant and dangerous, as it was the cybermen didn't really do much other than to serve as a distraction to pad out the chess match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherlockedd)
    I thought Neil Gaiman did this ep...? I agree with what you said though, essentially the cybermen were good but everything else was either mediocore or bad. Although I didnt like the pacing much...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh, my bad!

well, 'a spin' anyway!

ReputationRep:
    thought Warwick Davis was quite a good edition for one episode - it wasn't too bad an episode but the kids were irritating (especially the girl). next week has the potential to either be really good or just a massive anticlimax

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    What is it with this series and underwhelming endings? Activating a bomb and then teleporting to safety is not an exciting ending, it's extremely anti-climatic. Once the bomb was set how hard would it have been for the writers to limit the tech the empire ship had so that The Doctor and everyone else had to get to an extraction point to get teleported into the ship?
    That would be a bit similar to Asylum of the Daleks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluester)
    thought Warwick Davis was quite a good edition for one episode - it wasn't too bad an episode but the kids were irritating (especially the girl). next week has the potential to either be really good or just a massive anticlimax
    The girl was written literally the worst possible way. Previous episodes hadn't indicated she was surly at all, but in this one all of a sudden she's a grumpy teenager not excited about anything, and even throws out this hate for Clara out of the blue.

Pretty shoddy work from the Writer. Wasn't impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    The girl was not ~7, she was more like 13. The boy was probably about 7.

WRT the doctor fancying Clara, I don't think he does. I think the cyberthing assumed he did because so much of his brain was taken up with thinking about her.
    Right, time to look for the prequel :teeth:
    I assumed that too, until the last scene where Clara left the Tardis and the Doctor said something like "an impossible girl who wears skirts a bit too tight..." And is clearly thinking about Clara in a tight skirt (or lack of). :sexface:

The prequel is out btw.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.