Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I can't believe clubs don't have any non alcoholic drinks except from water! I thought I'd try to blend in by going out clubbing like everyone else has been doing but earlier on a flatmate tried to force a drink down my throat even though I constantly told him that I don't drink! Looks like I'll stop trying to blend in with the rest and just be who I am and hopefully someone will be able to accept me for just being me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    I can't believe clubs don't have any non alcoholic drinks except from water! I thought I'd try to blend in by going out clubbing like everyone else has been doing but earlier on a flatmate tried to force a drink down my throat even though I constantly told him that I don't drink! Looks like I'll stop trying to blend in with the rest and just be who I am and hopefully someone will be able to accept me for just being me!
    Good on you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    I've found an economist!!
    You're the first one I've found as well! I don't have a Facebook so making an account here is pretty much the first interaction I've had with anyone going to York. Surprised I found someone on my course so quickly!

(Original post by em_cart)
    There's about 6 of us on here I think! This is good news .

I think all the colleges have got daytime activities and alternative evening events too. I'm in James and apparently the info for that is released tomorrow. There will be talks and tours and stuff so you might meet other people through that who don't want to go clubbing .
    I'm glad I'm not alone which was my biggest fear! I'm fine with people drinking if they want to but it's nice to know there are others who don't.

Hopefully my college will do the same soon. I haven't bought any tickets for anything as it seemed to be just for the partying & such but I'll look into them if they have alternative events included. I'm sure I'll be okay once societies start and stuff I'm just nervous about that first week! Freshers seems to be mostly focused on drinking & stuff whereas for the rest of the year I'm hoping it is just a part of a bigger picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TroyAndAbed)
    You're the first one I've found as well! I don't have a Facebook so making an account here is pretty much the first interaction I've had with anyone going to York. Surprised I found someone on my course so quickly!

I'm glad I'm not alone which was my biggest fear! I'm fine with people drinking if they want to but it's nice to know there are others who don't.

Hopefully my college will do the same soon. I haven't bought any tickets for anything as it seemed to be just for the partying & such but I'll look into them if they have alternative events included. I'm sure I'll be okay once societies start and stuff I'm just nervous about that first week! Freshers seems to be mostly focused on drinking & stuff whereas for the rest of the year I'm hoping it is just a part of a bigger picture.
    That's exactly how I feel as well!! I'm at York too, James College doing English. I think that within a couple of days it might calm down and I don't think (hope) that people would look down on anyone if we don't go on the clubbing nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissElMo)
    Oh right. Yeah I think so! I'm not sure about the alternative events-I'm sure I read somewhere on Facebook that there could be bowling and laser quest, but I'm not sure. I hope the ticket includes the alternative events! I'm not sure which of the evening events I'll do, but I'll probably do one or two. Haha, yes! I'm glad I found people on this thread!! Are you on the facebook pages?

Bowling and laser quest are always good, hopefully we'll find out the other events soon. And I'm on the B block accommodation page but I don't think I'm on any of the uni freshers' pages.

ReputationRep:
    Don't they sell coke? I was relying on that!

And good for you!! . Not a very nice flat mate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Natalie21)
    Don't they sell coke? I was relying on that!

And good for you!! . Not a very nice flat mate!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They probably don't as they were only using it to mix with some vodka or Jaegermeister, however I don't like coke so yeah, quite unfortunate for me :-/

Well he's alright when he's sober but just doesn't listen when he's had a few drinks, then again that's probably the same with most people who drink

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't get an email like that.

I'm on Saturday too.

So so nervous.
    Its good because it doesn't matter so much if I'm a bit late.

Its having to wait, particularly in these last few days that makes it even more nerve racking! Anyway, its amazing to be going to York, I'm sure it will be better once there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fward)
    Hey I'm another non drinker going to Surrey. I'm staying in Manor Park studying law with criminology.
    (Original post by zafrin)
    Hey I'm going to Surrey too and also staying in Manor Park, studying Politics and International Realtions and I'm not a drinker either

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay, hey there you guys! Lets hope we do get that non-drinkers club going then, looks like there's a few of us!

ReputationRep:
    Derwent but Eden's court.
    Have you got the fresher ticket thingy for Derwent?

ReputationRep:
    They probably don't as they were only using it to mix with some vodka or Jaegermeister, however I don't like coke so yeah, quite unfortunate for me :-/

Well he's alright when he's sober but just doesn't listen when he's had a few drinks, then again that's probably the same with most people who drink
    I'm pretty sure you can get just get a soft drink mixer with no alcohol in most clubs. There's usually taps of Red Bull, Sprite, Coke, orange juice etc. I sometimes get non-alcoholic drinks if I feel like I'm going over the edge and the bar staff are more than happy to provide.

Just a word of warning though, you might get charged quite a lot of just a soft drink. A vodka + mixer is about £2-£3 depending on the club, so be prepared to pay around that much for just a mixer! Water of course is free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerShortcake)
    Have you got the fresher ticket thingy for Derwent?
    Yes, to be fair not sure if I'll enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, to be fair not sure if I'll enjoy it.
    Bingo sounds good and the ceilidh sound good Might have to resort to tea drinking in my room if everyone goes off clubbing!

ReputationRep:
    Bingo sounds good and the ceilidh sound good Might have to resort to tea drinking in my room if everyone goes off clubbing!
    I love a bit of tea.

What's ceilidh?

ReputationRep:
    I love a bit of tea.

What's ceilidh?
    Hehe, tis good
    A bit like a barn dance thingy... Sort of a dance See you around!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, tis good
    A bit like a barn dance thingy... Sort of a dance See you around!
    Well this is going to be awkward...

I don't think I've ever danced in my life let alone wear a cowboy kind of costume.

ReputationRep:
    Well this is going to be awkward...

I don't think I've ever danced in my life let alone wear a cowboy kind of costume.
    Haha, I think it is just casual dancing!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I think it is just casual dancing!
    Oh my bad, still don't know how to dance but oh well hopefully everyone else will be too drunk to realise.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my bad, still don't know how to dance but oh well hopefully everyone else will be too drunk to realise.
    Most people can't dance - including me!!

ReputationRep:
    Most people can't dance - including me!!
    Sure sure! That's what everyone says and then it turns out I'm the only one who can't dance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.