Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    Please help me!!!
    i need help on how much I need to write and how to structure my response
    what are the things I should comment on in section a and in section b?

Thanks ever so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radhikagulati)
    hopefully it is the Putnams :crossedf:

and i dont think it will be Danforth, he was done a couple of years ago i think, unless they decide to do it again

i think it may be a question on a theme, maybe justice?

(Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    I havent seen any danforth questions on any pastpapers?
    Here's a list I've compiled using past papers -

Jan 11-
    F- Parris; end of act 3
    H- Parris; madness of trials

June 11-
    F- Danforth; frightening play
    H- Abigail; hysteria

Jan 12-
    F- Abigail; Salem witch trials
    H- Hale; freedom

June 12-
    F- Mary Warren; guilt
    H- Giles Corey; attitudes to the court

Jan 13-
    F- ?
    H-Mary Warren; building of tension in each act

June 13-
    F- ?
    H- Danforth?

ReputationRep:
    For The Crucible, is there any likelihood that John Proctor will come up for Higher tier since he is quite an easy character?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsIge)
    Ironically I did a small paragraph on Slim yesterday, can I get some feedback on it please

When we are first introduced to slim there are a number of words which infer Slims supremacy, nobility and power. Words like "majesty - royalty - master - prince" are used in conjunction with his introduction, this infers to the reader already that Slim is a character that is greatly looked up to and respected. The author uses Slim to create a father figure on the ranch, this is because ranch hands sprang from ranch to ranch as a result leading lonely lives, therefore Slim almost creates comfort for the ranch hands as they feel like they can talk to him. The author does this to emphasise the effects of the Great Depression as men attempted to work towards the American Dream they were forced to lead lonely lives with no family and no friends, only the men they met on ranches, furthermore Slim is used to fill the void in the lives of the ranch hands as he is a strong figure who is highly valued, just like a father. Moreover from the use of those four words in the description of Slim the reader can infer that Slim is not like other ranch hands as we the reader later find out in the play. Additionally, at the time of the Great Depression size and strength were very important. "A tall man stood in the doorway" .........

- btw I added the ellipses at the end because I did not know how to explain the quote, any ideas?
    sorry to be pedantic but shouldn't it be imply/suggest instead of infer, the writer implies but the reader would infer the writer's implication

I'm not actually doing omam but it'll make you look like a stronger candidate to the examiner if you use words like this correctly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hassyk)
    Please help me!!!
    i need help on how much I need to write and how to structure my response
    what are the things I should comment on in section a and in section b?

Thanks ever so much
    In section 'a' you'll most likely be given a short extract and then ask to comment on it, for section 'b' you'll be asked to think about the novel as a whole for a certain theme (e.g. for Of Mice and Men, it could be disability, sexism, dreams etc).

You can get 30 marks for both sections, and the distribution isn't split half way, so I like to write 2 thirds of my response to section 'a' and one third on section 'b' - simply because in section 'a' they pretty much give you the answer, and 'b' is pretty vague.

So if you can write quickly, write about 2 pages for 'a' and 1 page for 'b'. If not, just try and keep the ratio I told you earlier, but test it first to see if you like it (write double for 'a'). Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Im doing An Inspector Calls and I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Eric.. does anyone have some good quotes they can give me for Eric??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    sorry to be pedantic but shouldn't it be imply/suggest instead of infer, the writer implies but the reader would infer the writer's implication

I'm not actually doing omam but it'll make you look like a stronger candidate to the examiner if you use words like this correctly
    Oh thank you its just i get bored of using suggest all the time but thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    For The Crucible, is there any likelihood that John Proctor will come up for Higher tier since he is quite an easy character?
    somehow I doubt it as all the questions on the paper for the other novels need to be of a similar standard and I have a feeling it would be unlikely to use such a main character broadly
    However, I could imagine there being a very specific question on him to do with his relationships maybe?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a comparision of poems from Character and Voice from the Anothology book Moon on the Tides and one unseen poem plus on that same day I'm doing Physics P3 woohoo (!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    Here's a list I've compiled using past papers -

Jan 11-
    F- Parris; end of act 3
    H- Parris; madness of trials

June 11-
    F- Danforth; frightening play
    H- Abigail; hysteria

Jan 12-
    F- Abigail; Salem witch trials
    H- Hale; freedom

June 12-
    F- Mary Warren; guilt
    H- Giles Corey; attitudes to the court

Jan 13-
    F- ?
    H-Mary Warren

June 13-
    F- ?
    H- Danforth?
    The other higher question for jan 2013 was to do with building tension at the end of each act

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibland)
    Im doing An Inspector Calls and I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Eric.. does anyone have some good quotes they can give me for Eric??
    Look around the thread, you have 45 pages worth of information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersson)
    In section 'a' you'll most likely be given a short extract and then ask to comment on it, for section 'b' you'll be asked to think about the novel as a whole for a certain theme (e.g. for Of Mice and Men, it could be disability, sexism, dreams etc).

You can get 30 marks for both sections, and the distribution isn't split half way, so I like to write 2 thirds of my response to section 'a' and one third on section 'b' - simply because in section 'a' they pretty much give you the answer, and 'b' is pretty vague.

So if you can write quickly, write about 2 pages for 'a' and 1 page for 'b'. If not, just try and keep the ratio I told you earlier, but test it first to see if you like it (write double for 'a'). Good luck
    Thanks
    that really helped
    gonna do some PP's now
    how do you structure you response? And how many paragraphs do you think I should write?

ReputationRep:
    What are the main points about Gerald if we were asked to write about him?

He is probably the character I understand the least!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorwichCityFC)
    Hi,

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me some ideas about OMAM natural setting - I really have no idea as we haven't studied this in class at all!

Thank you, please!!!!
    I am doing OMAM too. What do you mean "natural setting"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    :shoot:
    Me----------Eng Lit
    Just imagine, this time tomorrow we will never have to do English Literature again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NorwichCityFC)
    What are the main points about Gerald if we were asked to write about him?

He is probably the character I understand the least!
    Already came up..

ReputationRep:
    GUYS THIS AN INSPECTOR CALLS BOOKLET IS REALLY GOOD I SUGGEST YOU USE IT!

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/a...lls_full_notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha792)
    Just imagine, this time tomorrow we will never have to do English Literature again!!
    Unless you're taking it for A-level, like me :chaplin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    How long do you spend on each text during the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    45 minutes on first one
    45 minutes on second one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha792)
    I have another Lit exam on Thursday :emo:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.