Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    we can now book the skills test it seems:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/...0/registration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Right, thank you. That's probs what they meant in the email they sent me then. It's a bit unfair though isn't it.. Like to be looked at more favourably just cos you've passed the tests prior to the interview. But I guess it's easier for them to decide whether to give someone an offer lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to know. Btw, MMU is Manchester Metropolitan University, right?

ReputationRep:
    Just been reading through the PGCE prospectus of one of the unis I want to apply to, which has only just been updated for this year, and been hit with this :

"While working as a teacher assistant or cover supervisor is useful, we still expect 2 full days’ observation from those who have had such employment, to be done in a different school, focused on the one subject, to show breadth of vision and openness to learning."

Now I'm in a complete panic! How am I meant to do this when I work full time in a school, which is not going to allow me the time off to do it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_box)
    Just been reading through the PGCE prospectus of one of the unis I want to apply to, which has only just been updated for this year, and been hit with this :

"While working as a teacher assistant or cover supervisor is useful, we still expect 2 full days’ observation from those who have had such employment, to be done in a different school, focused on the one subject, to show breadth of vision and openness to learning."

Now I'm in a complete panic! How am I meant to do this when I work full time in a school, which is not going to allow me the time off to do it?!
    I don't "work" as a TA. I volunteer as language assistant. And I always have observations before and after working with the pupils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    I don't "work" as a TA. I volunteer as language assistant. And I always have observations before and after working with the pupils.
    I'm confused, did you mean to quote me?

I'm worrying as I hadn't planned on needing additional observation time in another school. I have been working for 1 year as a TA primarily in the subject/age range I wish to teach, previous to that I had 5 days of observation in my old secondary school (with the new head of department for my subject), 2 weeks volunteering in a special school and took part in a Uni volunteer project giving workshops to kids in local secondary schools.

Re-reading this I hope I don't come across as whiny as that wasn't my intention. Just will have to hope I can arrange for unpaid leave to do this additional observation I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Quick Question, can somebody provide me a link of where to register for the QTS exams and how much they cost? Thanks

ReputationRep:

I'm worrying as I hadn't planned on needing additional observation time in another school. I have been working for 1 year as a TA primarily in the subject/age range I wish to teach, previous to that I had 5 days of observation in my old secondary school (with the new head of department for my subject), 2 weeks volunteering in a special school and took part in a Uni volunteer project giving workshops to kids in local secondary schools.

Re-reading this I hope I don't come across as whiny as that wasn't my intention. Just will have to hope I can arrange for unpaid leave to do this additional observation I guess!
    Yeah, kinda of.

Maybe that requirement is specific to that university. Btw, which university was that?
    - 1 Year TA
    - 5 days observation
    - 2 weeks volunteering in a SEN school
    - Workshops to kids
    It sounds like plenty of experience to me.

ReputationRep:

I'm assuming that the school you currently work in isn't your old secondary?
    If so and you have 5 days in your old secondary school then you meet the requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the ratio of applications to interviews to offers? I'm a bit of a stats freak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Same. 3rd year plus PGCE apps equals stress meltdown
    Snap. Then add to that four children under 10 and you have my life right now. But i'll get there - we all will!

I'm quite annoyed about the date being pushed back because I just want to get things done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Snap. Then add to that four children under 10 and you have my life right now. But i'll get there - we all will!

I'm quite annoyed about the date being pushed back because I just want to get things done!
    Wow, I keep forgetting that many people have kids to look after too. Good luck! Hopefully they'll help prepare you for teaching, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madl24903)
    Does anyone know the ratio of applications to interviews to offers? I'm a bit of a stats freak.
    I would love to know this too. I know courses are competitive, but it would be nice if the stats werent as scary as people might think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ]
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I'm assuming that the school you currently work in isn't your old secondary?
    If so and you have 5 days in your old secondary school then you meet the requirement.
    They go on to add that the observation cannot be in your old secondary or a school you are employed by, or a special school...

I've calmed down now, sorry for any dramatics I just had a bit of a panic as I thought I had everything sorted.

ReputationRep:
    ]

They go on to add that the observation cannot be in your old secondary or a school you are employed by, or a special school...

I've calmed down now, sorry for any dramatics I just had a bit of a panic as I thought I had everything sorted.
    What uni is that? I have not seen that requirement in any of the unis I have checked. They seem to be unnecessarily strict.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madl24903)
    (Original post by neonlj)
    I would love to know this too. I know courses are competitive, but it would be nice if the stats werent as scary as people might think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know the year before I did my primary PGCE at uea they had ~500 applications, ~250 interviews and ~150 places iirc. But remember that factors in everyone even people who may have not researched writing PS at all, or not had the min experience etc. This year I'd say there will be many more applications but there will also be a much higher chance of getting in on a reserve list or similar as they will have to wait for people to decide after giving out offers.

]

Don't panic! That does seem odd, I can see why they would say no to a reference (kind of) and I know some primaries won't allow ex pupils to observe (dunno why!) But realistically your old secondary may be the only one near to you!

I would just, pretty much, beg for the time off. Be flexible if you can, so they may prefer four afternoons over 2 days. And just emphasise how important this is and how much it means to you. I know they will be pushed with staffing but hopefully they will want to support you in your ambition.

Good luck!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good to know. Btw, MMU is Manchester Metropolitan University, right?
    Yeahh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Same. 3rd year plus PGCE apps equals stress meltdown
    Tell me about it. Today I had an impromptu cry at university, because one of my course mates said I was "over organised" and "pinning my hopes on a 'yes' too much." I've gone from not sleeping panicking about my PS to not sleeping because I'm writing my dissertation in my head.

The sooner this year and PGCE year are over, the better!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SNichol)
    Tell me about it. Today I had an impromptu cry at university, because one of my course mates said I was "over organised" and "pinning my hopes on a 'yes' too much." I've gone from not sleeping panicking about my PS to not sleeping because I'm writing my dissertation in my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The stress is an awful feeling, but if I was you, I'd see being over organised as a good thing! Good luck and try not to get too upset about it

I'm nervous I won't get a place and trying to do as much as I can, but with working, volunteering and everything else, it is so hard to keep motivated and concentrated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SNichol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh god, this bit sounds familiar, I've been doing this with my personal statement for months.
    I wouldn't worry about your course mate, it sounds like they're jealous... being highly organised is a good thing and I wish I was.

ReputationRep:
    What uni is that? I have not seen that requirement in any of the unis I have checked. They seem to be unnecessarily strict.
    It's St Mary's in Twickenham.

(Original post by kpwxx)

Don't panic! That does seem odd, I can see why they would say no to a reference (kind of) and I know some primaries won't allow ex pupils to observe (dunno why!) But realistically your old secondary may be the only one near to you!

I would just, pretty much, beg for the time off. Be flexible if you can, so they may prefer four afternoons over 2 days. And just emphasise how important this is and how much it means to you. I know they will be pushed with staffing but hopefully they will want to support you in your ambition.
    Thank you I'm going to go and have a chat with my Head after half term. None of my other unis have this requirement and there are a few more options I'm considering as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.