Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    I though that too. On the website it does not mention what countries it does business with, so I cannot say how it would benefit them outright. I really do want to mention it though, but dont really know how to go about it.
    I don't really think that languages constitute much added extra that is worth mentioning on an application unless either (a) you are fluent in a number of languages, or (b) you are fluent in Mandarin/Arabic.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for another question kids! But, is it feasible to say that if one speaks another language this could potentially attract new business to the firm? or will recruiters think that's ridiculous?
    Could come across across as incredibly deluded imo.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the critical reasoning test for CMS Cameron McKenna? Do they know who the test provider is, and is it timed? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liarpoker)
    Could come across across as incredibly deluded imo.
    It varies from firm to firm, but having an extra language is only a slight bonus. Bringing in business is for partners to worry about, not trainees or vac schemers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, unless there have been recent developments that would change the outcome or influence it in another way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Please don't write this on application unless you are certain that the firm wouldn't have any current staff that use that language. It's going to have to be either a very small firm or a very unique language to you have any chance of that.

Plus as a trainee you are rarely in charge of winning new business anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for another question kids! But, is it feasible to say that if one speaks another language this could potentially attract new business to the firm? or will recruiters think that's ridiculous?
    (Original post by Unsworth)
    I don't really think that languages constitute much added extra that is worth mentioning on an application unless either (a) you are fluent in a number of languages, or (b) you are fluent in Mandarin/Arabic.
    I agree with Unsworth - but if you have experience of using your extra language in a professional capacity, then you can use it to demonstrate your ability to develop relationship-building skills on an international level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    Just that it's the Monday and the HR teams will be returning to work!
    Ah, right you are. I've enjoyed the last few days of blissful ignorance...

ReputationRep:
    Clifford Chance Vacation scheme question.

''Please list the activities outside of academic study that you have been involved in during the last three years, detailing your contribution. Please also give details of any positions of responsibility you may have held during this time.''

Please list?

So list the activities and your role ie

I was social sec of history society etc etc

I tutored a secondary school child. Here I etc

Or write as you would do so in the other question ''Please tell us why your qualities...''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mj43)
    Clifford Chance Vacation scheme question.

''Please list the activities outside of academic study that you have been involved in during the last three years, detailing your contribution. Please also give details of any positions of responsibility you may have held during this time.''

Please list?

So list the activities and your role ie

I was social sec of history society etc etc

I tutored a secondary school child. Here I etc

Or write as you would do so in the other question ''Please tell us why your qualities...''
    Yeah, that's the way to approach it.

If it was 100-150 words then an actual list would probably be what they were looking for.

Try and link the skills you've gained to their core competencies.

ReputationRep:
    'please use this section to supply us with additional information relevant to your application'

anyone know what I should write for this?

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty. ..I feel really intimidated by some people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Please don't write this on application unless you are certain that the firm wouldn't have any current staff that use that language. It's going to have to be either a very small firm or a very unique language to you have any chance of that.

Plus as a trainee you are rarely in charge of winning new business anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seem to give out very good advice. Are you a traineee/lawyer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    No - I used to work in legal recruitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    No - I used to work in legal recruitment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

Do you think applying for a vac scheme a week before it's deadline is too late?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any info on what Travers Smith's first interview is like?

ReputationRep:
    Is "What is it about our business that interests you most and why" basically just another way of phrasing "why the firm"? I've not really come across an app that has asked this before.

ReputationRep:
    Do we address a cover letter with the graduate recruiter's full name or just their first name, or should it be Mr/Mrs?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidLocked)
    Hi there,

Do you think applying for a vac scheme a week before it's deadline is too late?

Thanks!
    Depends how long it's been open.

They are still open, so your form will be reviewed. If they like it, even if they have filled the vacancies, they will tell you so and at least you'd be in a strong position for a future vacancy. They might even offer you an alternative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    Is "What is it about our business that interests you most and why" basically just another way of phrasing "why the firm"? I've not really come across an app that has asked this before.
    Yes - just another way of wording it

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.