1.16%
    Argentina win on penalties
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Messi? Wait what?!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Messi looks so mad walking up again haha.

ReputationRep:
    Messi got golden ball. They need to get messi's cawk out their *******s.

ReputationRep:
    Messi best player in the wc? Are you serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Sorry, I'm a little distracted. I meant to say 'World Cup Final', not 'World Cup'.

Agree wholeheartedly with the second part. To end the debate, here are two hypotheticals:

Player A (let's call him Messi/Ronaldo/whatever you will) scores a hat-trick in the final. His team loses 4-3 with a couple of own goals, one keeper howler, and one refereeing decision that was just wrong. Never wins World Cup.

Player A does little in final. Game goes to penalties. Perhaps scores his penalty, does nothing more. Team wins World Cup.

Assume all other details of player's career are the same, consistently excellent, lots of other trophies, etc.

It is ludicrous that in scenario A, player A's quality as a footballer is somehow less valid than in player B's scenario. Sure, they are extreme examples - but they do indicate how silly the 'winning the World Cup' obsession can be.
    Yep completely agree but then obviously hundreds of millions of casual fans watch the world cup who take no interest in club competitions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Messi got player of the tournament? What the ****? The bias around Messi is at insane levels.
    He was the best player at the tournament. Was below his best but still above the rest for the most part. I would have liked to see mascherano get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    IMO, Messi has done enough to be up there with Pele and Maradona. Maldini never won the World Cup, yet he's widely recognised as one of (if not the) best defender ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    loooooooool this is exactly what im saying...he wasn't best player of the tournament and arguably NAVAS should have got golden glove
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    He was the best player at the tournament. Was below his best but still above the rest for the most part. I would have liked to see mascherano get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The likes of Muller, Rodriguez and Neuer were easily better than him. Stop kidding yourself.

ReputationRep:
    **** this Messi cult man, it's out of control

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K_o_46)
    What an epic fail
    Taking pleasure in someone's loss? Weirdo.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wtf are you serious?????? He wasn't the best player in this WC i would easily say it was Rodriguez

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They've been listening to the dopey pundits trash him all day. Carried an average team (if that) to the final. The only other top class players (who were fit for the tournament) that they have are Zabaleta and probably Mascherano.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisychain_)
    Messi looks ecstatic
    (Original post by interact)
    messi's a beady eyed sore loser
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    Messi? Wait what?!
    (Original post by DivinityA)
    Messi looks so mad walking up again haha.
    (Original post by jam278)
    Messi got golden ball. They need to get messi's cawk out their *******s.
    (Original post by Stopmessing)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow that's 6 Messi's in a row.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I AM A BIG FAN OF MESSI BUT HOW DID HE GET BEST PLAYER?

lolololololololololololololololo lol
    GERMAN PLAYERS DESERVED IT.
    Muller :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to hear Germany's national anthem again at the end of this?

ReputationRep:
    Hate to say it, but those photographers looked like they were giving nazi salutes as the German players walked up

ReputationRep:
    Messi getting player of the tournament is a complete joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    IMO, Messi has done enough to be up there with Pele and Maradona. Maldini never won the World Cup, yet he's widely recognised as one of (if not the) best defender ever.
    Ach, I have no idea where this "you have to win the world cup to be a legend" comes from. It's such a false assumption.

What if bale becomes even better than he is and become a the best player in the world, he might not even make it to a world cup finals tournament never mind win it. But that wouldn't be his fault he doesn't play for an amazing national team.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He definitely wasn't. Mascherano would have been a much better pick.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 16, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.