Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh ok thank you. I have a 2.1 in physiology so I meet that criteria. Doing my UKCAT in 3 weeks so I'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Did my UKCAT today and finished with an average score of 637.5 (500, 760, 610, 680). I am going into my third year of my Biomedical Science degree currently sitting on a 1st.

I totally understand that 4 year UKCAT programmes are out of reach and my A-levels - BCC (B in Chemistry, Cs in Biology and Maths) don't favour most A-level dependent 5 year courses but how risky would it be to apply to solely 5 year programmes that take the UKCAT?

Fortunately, I will have a medical interview at my existing university for their 5 year programme and this will be one of my 4 choices.

I understand that the GAMSAT is an option for the remaining three but I initially planned to focus my time in August on planning my 3rd year dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chqr)
    Hi everyone. Did my UKCAT today and finished with an average score of 637.5 (500, 760, 610, 680). I am going into my third year of my Biomedical Science degree currently sitting on a 1st.

I totally understand that 4 year UKCAT programmes are out of reach and my A-levels - BCC (B in Chemistry, Cs in Biology and Maths) don't favour most A-level dependent 5 year courses but how risky would it be to apply to solely 5 year programmes that take the UKCAT? I have identified Leicester, Barts and Southampton.

Fortunately, I will have a medical interview at my existing university for their 5 year programme and this will be one of my 4 choices.

I understand that the GAMSAT is an option for the remaining three but I initially planned to focus my time in August on planning my 3rd year dissertation.
    I think undertaking a 5-year medical degree is a significant financial investment even if you are unsuccessful for GEM in your first application. People are known to improve significantly on multiple attempts of the UKCAT so it may be worth holding out for another year to reapply (in which case you will only have to pay £3465 or so in your first year only, rather than £9000 in tuition every year for 5-year courses).

If money is no issue then it's certainly worth applying, at least, to those courses you mentioned. Worth a shot (and it costs you little to send off an application).

But my logical advice would be to wait another year. Some of us spend many years getting into GEM (first time I sat the UKCAT I got around 600 by the way!) so 1 year out of your degree isn't a huge deal breaker for most people.

As you mention the GAMSAT is an option, especially if you're from a science background as that makes preparation easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I think undertaking a 5-year medical degree is a significant financial investment even if you are unsuccessful for GEM in your first application. People are known to improve significantly on multiple attempts of the UKCAT so it may be worth holding out for another year to reapply (in which case you will only have to pay £3465 or so in your first year only, rather than £9000 in tuition every year for 5-year courses).

If money is no issue then it's certainly worth applying, at least, to those courses you mentioned. Worth a shot (and it costs you little to send off an application).

But my logical advice would be to wait another year. Some of us spend many years getting into GEM (first time I sat the UKCAT I got around 600 by the way!) so 1 year out of your degree isn't a huge deal breaker for most people.

As you mention the GAMSAT is an option, especially if you're from a science background as that makes preparation easier.
    For sure, it is something I have considered and I first sat the UKCAT back in 2012 as a Sixth-former and scored 610.

My back-up plan was and still is to take a Masters and have another crack at applying.

Its just, right now, whether or not I should pursue the GAMSAT.

On a side note, congratulations on your place at Warwick. I do stalk threads quite a lot and very pleased for you once you finally heard news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chqr)
    For sure, it is something I have considered and I first sat the UKCAT back in 2012 as a Sixth-former and scored 610.

My back-up plan was and still is to take a Masters and have another crack at applying.

Its just, right now, whether or not I should pursue the GAMSAT.

On a side note, congratulations on your place at Warwick. I do stalk threads quite a lot and very pleased for you once you finally heard news.
    I'd definitely recommend the reapplication route. What resources did you use for the UKCAT? I found Medify and the 600Q books pretty sufficient but also bought a random VR one (general, not just UKCAT) off Amazon which was quite helpful. Will have to hunt it down and let you know.

The GAMSAT is expensive, but if money isn't an issue it's a very good shot. If you do well on it the ratios for interviews are much more pleasant.

And thanks! Took a while but got there in the end

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Just did my UKCAT and achieved
    VR 580 (annoying)
    QR 750
    AR 750
    DA 640

Overall 680

Will the universities give any indication of cut off points before we send off our applications?
    I'll be sitting the GAMSAT but just not sure whether to waste any applications on a UKCAT based GEM university right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I'd definitely recommend the reapplication route. What resources did you use for the UKCAT? I found Medify and the 600Q books pretty sufficient but also bought a random VR one (general, not just UKCAT) off Amazon which was quite helpful. Will have to hunt it down and let you know.

The GAMSAT is expensive, but if money isn't an issue it's a very good shot. If you do well on it the ratios for interviews are much more pleasant.

And thanks! Took a while but got there in the end
    Kaplan course, 600Q and Kaplan Score Higher Book. I just had a bad day doing VR and AR.

Certainly appears as if DA is a lot harder this year.

ReputationRep:
    DA seems to be a lot harder this year and it is my best section! What's different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably using the confidence ratings for the first time? Best guess. Traditionally it's been the easiest section so they've probably clamped down on it haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Probably using the confidence ratings for the first time? Best guess. Traditionally it's been the easiest section so they've probably clamped down on it haha.
    The UKCAT website says

"UKCAT is trialling the use of Confidence Ratings in this subtest. Results will not contribute to your score and will not be communicated to the Universities to which you apply. "
    So I don't think it's that.

From the scores coming in this year I don't think I've seen anyone score above 750 on DA, so maybe they've changed their scoring algorithm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    The UKCAT website says

From the scores coming in this year I don't think I've seen anyone score above 750 on DA, so maybe they've changed their scoring algorithm.
    Still? Jesus they've been trialling for 3 years. Can't be a great measure if they're still uncertain on it.

I suspect in that case the questions have just been made harder to compensate for the above-average scores in the past couple of years then. Similar to what they did with VR last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand Pepito)
    Will the universities give any indication of cut off points before we send off our applications?
    That's impossible. The cutoff scores are based on how everyone who applied to the uni did, so before people have applied they have no idea where the cutoff will be. For example, if everyone who applies scored between 600-700 then the cutoff will be somewhere in that range, but if everyone who applied scores 700-800 then the cutoff will be in that range.

Put another way, they look at the scores of all of their applicants, put the applicants in order then take the top x%. The UKCAT score of the lowest scoring applicant selected for interview is the cutoff score.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! First post on this thread. Currently a 2nd year Biomedical Science student. I've just finished sitting the UKCAT today and scored 740 average.

I'm looking at applying to Warwick and KCL, but I'm not too sure if KCL is a smart choice since I hear they have ridiculously high cutoffs.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm applying for GEM 2016 entry. I have just graduated (4 days ago!) with a first and will be starting my MSc in September. Last year I got a disastrous UKCAT score but am hoping that this year will be different as it would appear I finally have a handle on AR. I'm thinking of applying to Southampton, Barts, Birmingham and Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natha_Lite)
    Hey! First post on this thread. Currently a 2nd year Biomedical Science student. I've just finished sitting the UKCAT today and scored 740 average.

I'm looking at applying to Warwick and KCL, but I'm not too sure if KCL is a smart choice since I hear they have ridiculously high cutoffs.
    Well done on your score! 740 is great. I am not sure about Kings cut off but i am also interested in this so maybe someone else on here can help us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    The UKCAT website says

I got 870 for DA this year so don't think that's the case :/

Is there anywhere on TSR yet with a poll for people's average UKCAT score? So we can get a rough idea if there's been a change in how well people are scoring this year? I think there was a poll last year...

Good luck to everybody who's still yet to sit their UKCAT! (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura143)

Is there anywhere on TSR yet with a poll for people's average UKCAT score? So we can get a rough idea if there's been a change in how well people are scoring this year? I think there was a poll last year...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow well done! I guess for you it was ok. Just seen a fair few who said it was there best section going on but then they don't get as high as they'd have liked. What did you average?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I stand corrected

The poll thread is here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3464129

Not many people have put their score in yet though.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know about TSR but last year the UKCAT website published national averages, which was handy. Some (reasonably accurate) preliminary averages came out end of August I think, with final results being a bit later when the tests were done. Far as I could tell those with a 9th decile and above score had a shot at GEM interviews.

Good luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstieW)
    I'm going to apply to Cambridge, Swansea and Birmingham for GEM and then Sheffield for their 5 year course. Completely different to you ha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    why swansea may i ask

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.