Do you use 273 or 273.15 to convert between temperatures
AwesomeSauce#1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexParmenter)
Do you use 273 or 273.15 to convert between temperatures
i normally use 273 because in the mark scheme it doesn't mention 273.15, but can't believe that they would mark you down for being more accurate. Who knows, they might even bring in a question about the triple point of water which would need that accuracy.
I Persia I
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think potential energy is greatest in solids and decreasing until gas which there is assumed to be none(?) (Ideal gases?) I remember reading something like Internal energy = Kinetic energy in gases therefore there is 0 potential energy or negligible or whatever verbose way you wanna put it. I hate how unclear OCR exams are with stuff like this.
Raizel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kateyl)
Not sure if it's just me but I think I saw a similar question in another paper, and the mark scheme said you had to write that the PE wasn't increasing as the temperature was increasing :/

My teacher said that you could get around the problem of whether or not to say PE is increasing by saying that "there is a negligible increase in potential energy" but I honestly don't know if they would give the mark for that lol
OCR and their mark schemes...
indiaharding
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tazmain)
I don't think they are released, tried finding them online. Just finished it, how'd you do?
Only got 71 in the specimen, quite a hard paper to be fair, how have you done on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Raizel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think everyone should go over the june 2014 paper, it was a difficult paper.
I didn't know how to answer the last question relating to pressure and density, so it should be good practice.
neverseenanalien
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guys please help me!!!!!!

It says that in a circle, when weight provides the centripetal force the astronaut feels weightless, I though Centripetal is constant and is the same at every point, Could you please explain.
papayarama
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do I lose marks if I don't quote in the same number of sig fig as stated in the mark scheme? say if I quoted to 1sf more than what it says in the markscheme for Accuracy mark?? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oraeng
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone know anything about changes in 'order of particle arrangement' during a change of state? What does it mean?

Also are you supposed to say 'state' or 'phase' or does it not matter?
Oraeng
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by papayarama)
do I lose marks if I don't quote in the same number of sig fig as stated in the mark scheme? say if I quoted to 1sf more than what it says in the markscheme for Accuracy mark?? 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher told us to always quote your answer to 3 sig. figs and you will never lose the mark
Tazmain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by indiaharding)
Only got 71 in the specimen, quite a hard paper to be fair, how have you done on it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, got somewhere between 70%-77%. Some of those marking points were vague so It was a bit difficult mark it accurately. I agree it was kinda tough, but I made some stupid mistakes along the way. All in all good practice.
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm so confused I thought potential energy increases as you go from solid to Liquid to gas? So on a heating curve there is positive gradient as a solid heats up which is the increase in kinetic energy then when the solid melts the gradient goes to 0 as the potential energy increases but kinetic energy stays the same hence the temperature don't increase? Or are you all talking about something else
rachelc142
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
anyone got june 14 paper and ms please?
Tazmain
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by papayarama)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any 2sf or 3sf answers are fine. If you write to 1sf I think you get penalised once throughout the whole exam. I'd stick to 3sf if that's what you're using now. You may lose marks if you write to a greater sf than 3sf in some occasions, but I'm not sure about that.
SomeGuy96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlexParmenter)
I'm so confused I thought potential energy increases as you go from solid to Liquid to gas? So on a heating curve there is positive gradient as a solid heats up which is the increase in kinetic energy then when the solid melts the gradient goes to 0 as the potential energy increases but kinetic energy stays the same hence the temperature don't increase? Or are you all talking about something else
The potential energy of something decreases as it goes from solid to gas state. Think about the graph you are describing; the gradient would still go to zero even if the potential energy was decreasing, as it depends solely on the temperature of the object, which the potential energy plays no part in.
imusti96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rachelc142)
anyone got june 14 paper and ms please?
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...9WRDZRa2dJQkE#
rachelc142
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ty very much!!
Makashima
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
in shm motion, one oscillation is actually 1/4 of the time period?
Raizel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guys can someone go explain why it is (m/M) for question 6c on the june 2014 paper https://drive.google.com/folderview?...9WRDZRa2dJQkE#
Alex621
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SomeGuy96)
The potential energy of something decreases as it goes from solid to gas state. Think about the graph you are describing; the gradient would still go to zero even if the potential energy was decreasing, as it depends solely on the temperature of the object, which the potential energy plays no part in.
In the textbook is says molecules in steam have far greater random potential energy than those in boiling water

Also if the curve is energy against temperature, and the temperature isn't increasing, the substance is still absorbing heat so that heat would be used to increase the potential energy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.23%
No - but I will (80)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (497)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise