Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by orlrighty)
    Yes, but you're French so you probably do mean that.
    Of course I mean it, I refuse to harm a fellow Jew.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by hamix.forllz)
    people dont need teasons to do things...

Why?

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Higher education will never be free as someone has to pay for it. It makes perfect sense that the people who are receiving it should be the ones to do so.
    More people with higher education benefits everyone and discouraging people from educating themselves is, as a country, shooting yourself in the foot. At the very least STEM degrees at good universities should be free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Why?

:lol:
    Human nature.....get with it...
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Human nature.....get with it...

Why is it human nature?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study_smart786)
    Some men do call it a man crush and r straight. .. whether you like it or not
    Some men like to get rammed from behind but would still consider themselves to be straight.

ReputationRep:
    Paying taxes is stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuvertion)
    More people with higher education benefits everyone and discouraging people from educating themselves is, as a country, shooting yourself in the foot. At the very least STEM degrees at good universities should be free.
    The idea that university tuition fees discourages people from higher education is not in tandem with the hard fact that the number of people attending university had risen since they were introduced. It doesn't discourage people from higher education and there's no good reason why those directly benefitting from the education they receive should pass the bill to the taxpayer instead of paying for it themselves when in a position to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Drama shouldn't be a degree
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The idea that university tuition fees discourages people from higher education is not in tandem with the hard fact that the number of people attending university had risen since they were introduced. It doesn't discourage people from higher education and there's no good reason why those directly benefitting from the education they receive should pass the bill to the taxpayer instead of paying for it themselves when in a position to do so.
    Because education isn't a commodity. Unless you planning to go into an industry like banking, your higher level of education is going to feed back into society. A society that believes in the intrinsic importance of education and which hence has an educated workforce is so much more advanced than a society which treats education as some kind of commodity that's a simple question of cost-benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Drugs that enhance the amount of the brain we can use should be allowed to be tested on humans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Because education isn't a commodity. Unless you planning to go into an industry like banking, your higher level of education is going to feed back into society. A society that believes in the intrinsic importance of education and which hence has an educated workforce is so much more advanced than a society which treats education as some kind of commodity that's a simple question of cost-benefit.
    I agree. In practice, however, nothing that you're saying is of any relevance, because more people are going to university now than did before tuition fees were raised again - you have drawn a false dichotomy between believing in the intrinsic importance of education/having an educated workforce and treating education as a commodity that has to be paid for by someone. The most reasonable way to pay for it is not to lump it on the taxpayer but to have the people directly benefitting from it and who will be better qualified to work in higher paying jobs doing so themselves when they are able to.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I agree. In practice, however, nothing that you're saying is of any relevance, because more people are going to university now than did before tuition fees were raised again.
    You have drawn a false dichotomy between believing in the intrinsic importance of education/having an educated workforce and treating education as a commodity that has to be paid for by someone. It is

aving an educated workforce
    I'm not saying that increased tuition fees are putting people off higher education. As you rightly point out, more people are going into it than ever before. What I am saying is that this is incredibly unfair. Given that the jobs that tend to benefit society the most tend to have lower salaries and the jobs that are more harmful are generally the ones with the highest wages, the current system is saddling ordinary people whose work genuinely contributes back into society with a debt they're going to carry until they're close to the point of considering retirement whilst the people who work in harmful industries with high wages (or those born into wealth) won't have to worry about it at all. That is absolutely outrageous in my view, I can't see how anyone could agree with that.

Somebody has to pay for it. Let the people who have a huge abundance of money in the first place pay for it rather than extorting those who don't have a lot of wealth.

ReputationRep:
    " Let the people who have a huge abundance of money in the first place pay for it rather than extorting those who don't have a lot of wealth."

Why? Why should people who have - or whose families have - earned, gambled, invested or saved be penalised to pay off the chumps?

ReputationRep:
    I believe that evangelism should be made illegal, it's fine to marry for money and we should be out of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    if hypocrites want to go to jail, so be it... And liberal democracy doesn't work.... I'd say only people from groups not oppressed should publically air bigoted beliefs.

SO you want to imprison people for hypocrisy.

It has? Or the current pope only has? It should at the very least apologise for all it has done....

So it's gone down from the gov't banning the religion to just the Pope saying sorry. I would agree that there are many things Catholics should apologise for, that it not particularly controversial.

Jesus himself mentioned the sins of the father...

He lived 2000 years ago, and he didn't advocate punishment for these sins.

Because our country dismissed a German effort to end the naval race. The causes of WWI are a LOT more complex than just "the Germans started it.." Perhaps if you project such smartness, you should realise life situations aren't black and white...
    By saying Austro-Hungary, Serbia and Russia I was agreeing Germany may not necessarily be to blame. Seriously why do you quote 'the Germans started it' when I said no such thing. The naval race was one of a large number of tensions brewing in Europe, others such as the Franco-Prussian 1870 war had obviously been going on for decades.

The direct cause was the Serbs wanting a greater Serbia, and the Austro-Hungarians wanting to protect their archaic Empire from this threat. The other major powers were drawn in by a set of alliances which forced war upon them. It is true however that the one country who actively wanted a European war for self-advancement was Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ignitus7)
    Horses still have metal in their mouths. Scientists have tested the strength and impact of bits in the horses' mouth, the average pull from a 13 year old boy equalled to 300kg of pressure per sq cm on the horses' mouth. A 'yank' on the bit, exerting even more pressure - say when a rider pulls a horse to the side to stop it running around a jump - causes an entire neuro chronic shock through the horses' head. If this was done to a human, it would cause temporal blindness. Horses could be running blindly at jumps and the rider doesn't even know.

Unfortunately, even the removal of the bit is bad for the horse, for the straps on the bridle press on sensitive face tissue, tearing tissue on the horses' nose.

Whenever you see a ridden horse, say in the sport of dressage, in 'collection', it is a false collection. Horses 'collect' naturally when a stallion is exerting his presence in a herd - he puffs his entire body up to make his front half appear larger and more powerful, bringing his hind legs underneath him, neck up in the air, and his head may drop vertically. When a horse is ridden, all the rider does is pull on the bit/bridle to bring his head down and in. This tears the horses' poll tissue and causes extra bone to grow. We may think we are riding horses in 'correct', 'natural' collection when our horses start to adapt this position themselves, when in reality it is just muscle memory - painful muscle memory. Pain in the poll or pain in the mouth when you stick your head up to avoid said pain, and the rider pulls on your mouth to bring it back down? A horse can only stay in true natural collection for 45 seconds - this may extend to two minutes as the horse matures and becomes stronger. An average exercise session for a horse is an hour. Tell me, the bit does not exert such pain, how is a small, fragile human able to force a horse into such a position?

When you consider just how riders are able to manipulate horses into doing things a horse would never consider doing, it makes complete sense that the only way we could coerce such a heavy, powerful creature into doing these things is through pain - pain in the most fragile part of a creatures body - the mouth.

Horses are not physiologically designed to carry humans. It is rather bizarre that this kind of thing is still allowed - just imagine people's reactions if this was done to a dog?

I could go on forever about horse riding - not to mention the pressure a rider on a horses' back exerts on its muscles - but I'll stop here to answer the family pet question.

Of course I have no problems with keeping horses - but I don't agree with stabling horses. Even before really reading into scientific research, I could never get my head around why people think its okay to confine such an animal in such a small space. Especially when a horse is designed to be constantly moving and grazing. People wonder why horses' get colic, lameness, stiffness… it's really not rocket science… I've also heard stupid things like 'well, it's cruel to leave it outside at night in the cold'. :facepalm: My own horse has the option of going in a stable or standing outside in his field. He will always roam outside in the rain or snow rather than stand in his stable. This is because a horse's natural instinct to graze, and move, overrides the weather. Besides, he grows a winter coat, and even has the luxury of wearing rugs. Horses, believe it or not, are adapted to living outside. :eek: They have to keep moving to keep their digestive system going, or else they develop illnesses.

If a tiger was kept in a cage at a zoo the same proportion as a horse to its stable, the amount of complaints would rocket. Why is it okay for horses?

Of course, there are people that ride and really do love their horses, as opposed to those that use them for sport and materialist gain.

I do try and be open minded about it. But personally I struggle to ride horses now
    Screw you for opening my mind Sadly I don't ride anymore, I wanted to pick it up again when I was older I guess that's not happening now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Screw you for opening my mind Sadly I don't ride anymore, I wanted to pick it up again when I was older I guess that's not happening now
    Ugh, omg I'm really sorry! Trust me, I wish it wasn't true myself!!! I feel so alone with this knowledge… :/ tbh I was expecting you (or someone else) to start an argument with me over it
    On a lighter note, here's a guy who successfully trains horses without the use of equipment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkR5-mrxbjw

I am really surprised at the amount of people abroad who train horses in different ways to ours. We are really close-minded and competition-driven in the UK - we are not a 'horse-loving nation', we are a 'horse-sport' loving nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    I firmly believe in concentration camps being the best thing... Not for Jews though, I couldn't do that to my people
    Why not for jews?

ReputationRep:
    I support a regressive taxation system ie: the middle classes pay more, and then the richer you get, the LESS you pay in tax. So tax becomes sorta like a curve, instead of a diagonal line upwards.

Like this:

Except maybe a bit more radical in that I'd have the regressive line start to curve a bit quicker.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.