The Student Room Group

Dundee Medicine 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redddddd
I can't have facebook and I don't wanna miss out if you guys make one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. I'm super excited to start the premedical year. I look forward to meeting everyone in septmeber.
Would anyone reccomend private halls such as marketgait apartments?
Any one else got any offers yet? Still waiting
Reply 883
Original post by Nicola97
Any one else got any offers yet? Still waiting

Still waiting as well :/
Hope they still have offers to give out
Is anyone having troubles getting on eVision? :frown: I can't get on it, as it writes to me that I am not authorised to use the system... It is incredibly weird, because I was using it every day for at least 5 times (to check for an answer) and I even checked it this morning and everything was alright :frown:
Original post by Da_Don_1997
Fair enough. I'm super excited to start the premedical year. I look forward to meeting everyone in septmeber.

I am more excited then ever too because I know that you guys will be in my class :smile: can't wait
Is it possible to make like a whatapp group or something? We can make a group message here and then add each others phone numbers?? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Da_Don_1997
So, how many people are doing the widening access premedical year including me? I got my offer on 11th march. Perhaps we should create a group chat on facebook so we can get to know each other better and discuss things like accomodation.

@redddddd @medap123 @charmedwonderer @fazugfx @Da_Don_1997 and me
I think that's it?(People who are doing(or thinking of doing) the WA course)
I can't have facebook and I don't wanna miss out if you guys make one :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry I don't use Facebook too :/
A massive distraction lmao
Original post by kcampbell893
Junioh - first of all congratulations! so happy for you :smile:

Regards accomodation - most people take halls for first year and then move out and flat share in 2/3rd year when you get to know people better and know who you want to live with. You would be living with mostly medics and life scientists.

The Pre-med year only takes about 6-7 people because you guys are incorporated into the Life Sciences degrees for the first year and that is the maximum number of pre-meds people life sciences takes. My friend did it and was with us for the first year and then having passed was allowed to progress to medicine. I do believe they have changed/are aiming to change the pre-med year a bit though and have now got a few extra more clinical based things for you guys as that was a major complaint but I could be totally wrong.

Thank you k! You've been a massive help and I really appreciate it :smile:
Yeah regarding accommodation, I know this sounds silly, but I'm trying to not rely on parental support(which is gonna be really really hard!), so if I take out the maximum student loan(£5750), the majority will go to accommodation.. Do you think it's really anti-social if I just move to private rent in first year?
I don't know much about the pre-med year, having researched online, there is no much info/experience regarding the course! If I can't make it to the applicant visit then I will definitely bombard the med admin with questions(which I already have but they're so slow at replying :frown:
Original post by kcampbell893
SAAS opens for applications around the 30th of April. I suggest doing that sooner rather than later because the paperwork can be stupidly tedious and their customer service department is a joke if you need help. They have to have your funding and loans in place if you do it by 30th June so you have 2 months to do it to be guaranteed :smile:

Okay thank you :smile:
Original post by PazKan
YAYYY JUNIOHH I knew you could do it!! See you in September :smile:

I will be the year below but thank you paz! Wish you the best and see you this September!
Original post by GretaPat
Is anyone having troubles getting on eVision? :frown: I can't get on it, as it writes to me that I am not authorised to use the system... It is incredibly weird, because I was using it every day for at least 5 times (to check for an answer) and I even checked it this morning and everything was alright :frown:

I've just logged on and it seems fine?
It can crash sometimes
Original post by JS98
Still waiting as well :/
Hope they still have offers to give out

Good luck JS!
:crossedf:
Original post by Junioh

Yeah regarding accommodation, I know this sounds silly, but I'm trying to not rely on parental support(which is gonna be really really hard!), so if I take out the maximum student loan(£5750), the majority will go to accommodation.. Do you think it's really anti-social if I just move to private rent in first year?

There'll be quite a few people living in private or home accommodation for the first year, for example grads such as myself who don't have the luxury of spending extra on halls, and have already rented for several years and understand the upsides and downsides. If you haven't lived alone before, renting privately can be stressful, because you have to deal with landlords, bills, letting agents, etc.

However, from a social point of view, I'm firmly of the belief that student life is what you make it. You can be living in halls and have a crap time, or you can be living in a flat share (or at home or in lodgings or by yourself) and have an epic time. You just have to decide for yourself how it's going to be!
Reply 894
rejected,, never mind, off to Edinburgh for medical science. good luck everyone else.
Original post by prospectivemed56
There'll be quite a few people living in private or home accommodation for the first year, for example grads such as myself who don't have the luxury of spending extra on halls, and have already rented for several years and understand the upsides and downsides. If you haven't lived alone before, renting privately can be stressful, because you have to deal with landlords, bills, letting agents, etc.

However, from a social point of view, I'm firmly of the belief that student life is what you make it. You can be living in halls and have a crap time, or you can be living in a flat share (or at home or in lodgings or by yourself) and have an epic time. You just have to decide for yourself how it's going to be!

Yeah halls are so expensive god! I'm gonna be broke :erm:
I have shared flat with people before, bills can be a big problem! Really depends on who you share the flat with :/ I'm trying to find the ones including bills.
I agree with you! I've decided! I'm gonna try to find private accommodation!
thank you for your lovely advice :h:
Original post by nsr97
rejected,, never mind, off to Edinburgh for medical science. good luck everyone else.

Sorry to hear :frown:
I applied to medical sciences at Edinburgh too, the course seems pretty good and Edinburgh is a beautiful, buzzing city! If you still wanna do medicine, you can apply for the transfer at yr4.
Good luck!
Reply 897
yeah, done a tour last week and found it to be excellent. Also told that if the grades A,A, B are achieved you can opt to go straight into year 2 meaning only having to do 3 yrs on this course, then apply for medicine which again is 4 yrs. I think it is a good way to go if no medical uni offers and it gives a good knowledge prior to medicine. Standard 4 yr medical science course requires A,B,B
Anyone else on here going to do medical science in Edinburgh.??
Original post by Junioh
Thank you k! You've been a massive help and I really appreciate it :smile:
I don't know much about the pre-med year, having researched online, there is no much info/experience regarding the course! If I can't make it to the applicant visit then I will definitely bombard the med admin with questions(which I already have but they're so slow at replying :frown:

Junioh you have me hahah I'll be living at home. We can both be anti-social together hahaha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am more excited then ever too because I know that you guys will be in my class :smile: can't wait
Is it possible to make like a whatapp group or something? We can make a group message here and then add each others phone numbers?? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mind. If the other premed students are happy with it then it should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest