St George's
    5.58%
    Other
    25.72%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Seeing everyone else is posting theirs...

Grades:
    GCSE - 9A*, 2A
    As Level - 4As
    A Level Predictions - Probably A*A*A
    UKCAT Score - Band 2, 723.

Work Experience/Volunteering:
    1x Week in a Dementia Day Care
    1x Week at local GP
    1x Week On Surgical Ward
    1 1/2 Years volunteering with local cubs group.
    3x Months Geriatric Ward (Feeding and talking with patients)
    A lot of lectures

Extracurricular Activities:
    Grade 7 (Almost 8) Ukulele - done a few concerts
    Charities Team at school
    Run a youtube channel producing educational videos about medicine (Simple, bare bones explanations of disorders and diseases).
    I really like books... and hate sport

My application feels so weak compared to others but, then again, this is TSR
    Your extracurriculars are very impressive! Any advice on how I myself could try and gain similar experience? Do you email the hospitals/departments involved, or give them a call? I've tried, but many don't really answer, or are too busy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dohaeris)
    So is nobody here thinking about Manchester?

Also, if anyone can help me out, are my uni choices too risky? I didn't do too well on my GCSEs, but I'm applying with achieved A level grades of A*A*A in Bio, Maths and Chem, along with 760 average in the UKCAT...

I was thinking Manchester, Keele, Leicester and Barts. I know Manchester are willing to compensate bad GCSEs with achieved A levels, but I'm not sure whether any of the last three are considered GCSE-heavy?

I'm also okay-ish with extracurriculars. A year working with children with special needs (autism and the like), a few months volunteering at an educational institute's clinic, a couple weeks shadowing a neurologist, school football team and the student council.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I don't think Barts look at your GCSEs beyond whether or not you have the minimum they ask for, but I think you'll have a good chance there.
    Keele require a lot of volunteer work and work experience, so if you don't feel you have a lot, it may not be wise to apply there...
    Leicester Have their scoring system which I think overlooks GCSEs if you have achieved A-Levels, but I'm not certain - they have their scoring system available on their website, though!

You may want to apply to UKCAT heavy schools (like Newcastle, UEA, Plymouth, Exeter, Southampton, etc.), because yours is absolutely amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I don't think Barts look at your GCSEs beyond whether or not you have the minimum they ask for, but I think you'll have a good chance there.
    Keele require a lot of volunteer work and work experience, so if you don't feel you have a lot, it may not be wise to apply there...
    Leicester Have their scoring system which I think overlooks GCSEs if you have achieved A-Levels, but I'm not certain - they have their scoring system available on their website, though!

You may want to apply to UKCAT heavy schools (like Newcastle, UEA, Plymouth, Exeter, Southampton, etc.), because yours is absolutely amazing!
    Thank you! Yeah, I had a look at the Leicester scoring document, and I would probably get something around 43/48. I'm not sure what that actually translates to, however, as in I don't know whether it's good or not. Do you have any clue whether or not Leicester have ever said what the score was for the lowest-scoring applicants who were accepted?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Yeah, I had a look at the Leicester scoring document, and I would probably get something around 43/48. I'm not sure what that actually translates to, however, as in I don't know whether it's good or not. Do you have any clue whether or not Leicester have ever said what the score was for the lowest-scoring applicants who were accepted?
    It's actually a new scoring system, so it can't really be compared to previous years, which is annoying, but i think it's quite a good score. I'm not completely certain, though
    If you feel confident it's a good score, definitely apply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarrisonGCSE)
    Jesus... i thought i had a lot of work experience. Just a question, but do you have medical links in the family (i.e. Parents consultants)?
    Nope, none at all, unfortunately.
    All of my work experience and volunteering was self sourced

(Original post by Selgomez11)
    What did you get in GCSEs for the two English and maths and double science? This is used to determine how high of a ukcat is needed to get an interview at University of Birmingham.
    I got A*s in all the fundamental subjects. My As were in Drama, ICT and an iGCSE that I voluntarily took up.

I'm pretty certain I'll get an interview at Birningham seeing as I get 7/7 in regards to GCSEs and about 2.67/3 or 3/3 for my UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    Your extracurriculars are very impressive! Any advice on how I myself could try and gain similar experience? Do you email the hospitals/departments involved, or give them a call? I've tried, but many don't really answer, or are too busy...
    Just apply to everything you see I must have applied to about 100 things now, and i've gotten into 4. Its tough, but you can do it

ReputationRep:
    Where can I realistically apply for undergrad to with a 743 average UKCAT

VR - 640
    QR - 890
    AR - 700
    SJ - Band 1

If I meet all of the other requirements (as I'll be applying as a graduate with plenty of experience).

ReputationRep:
    Received by really poor ukcat score yrd...

Average: 663 (480 in VR ) with SJ band 1

not sure wt medical school I should apply to now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betweenalaska)
    Received by really poor ukcat score yrd...

Average: 663 (480 in VR ) with SJ band 1

not sure wt medical school I should apply to now...
    That isn't a poor UKCAT score...
    Avoid Plymouth and Exeter, though, since they look at individual subsection scores.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help? I really want to do medicine and have done some volunteering, work experience and have a decent amount of extra curricular activities but I am really struggling with the UKCAT. I have the exam next week and I just know I am not going to do very well.

I got AAAB in my AS levels and predicted AAA in A2.
    My GCSEs aren't that impressive: 6A*, 3A, 1B

Do I have any chance of getting any offers? If so, where would be best to apply?
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshgirl7)
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help? I really want to do medicine and have done some volunteering, work experience and have a decent amount of extra curricular activities but I am really struggling with the UKCAT. I have the exam next week and I just know I am not going to do very well.

I got AAAB in my AS levels and predicted AAA in A2.
    My GCSEs aren't that impressive: 6A*, 3A, 1B

Do I have any chance of getting any offers? If so, where would be best to apply?
    Thanks in advance
    It's very difficult to say without your UKCAT score.
    Also, you may be surprised by your result, so come again and ask us after you get your UKCAT score. For now, all I can really say is to avoid Cardiff, Oxford, Edinburgh and probably Nottingham, Birmingham and Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just looking for some advice really as to where to apply? I did my ukcat today and got an average of 703 (VR-590,QR-850 and AR-670) so I am aware I can't apply to universities that look at the subsections, but I got sjt band 3 are there many universities that don't take sjt into consideration? I have 7A*(not including English) and 5A at GCSE and I'm hoping to be predicted A*AA. I would like to apply to imperial and Manchester, but not sure on the rest, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maya_jadee)
    Hi, I was just looking for some advice really as to where to apply? I did my ukcat today and got an average of 703 (VR-590,QR-850 and AR-670) so I am aware I can't apply to universities that look at the subsections, but I got sjt band 3 are there many universities that don't take sjt into consideration? I have 7A*(not including English) and 5A at GCSE and I'm hoping to be predicted A*AA. I would like to apply to imperial and Manchester, but not sure on the rest, thank you.
    Imperial requires BMAT so your UKCAT doesnt matter that much. Back in my days Manchester was very strong on personal statement, they had some screening tool which looked for key words in your PS and if you didnt have them, rejected you.
    In terms of your UKCAT, it really isnt that bad of a score

also guys, if you have any questions about Nottingham (just not about the admission, I have no idea how they do it now) feel free to message me . Good luck with probably the worst year of your lives hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    Imperial requires BMAT so your UKCAT doesnt matter that much. Back in my days Manchester was very strong on personal statement, they had some screening tool which looked for key words in your PS and if you didnt have them, rejected you.

also guys, if you have any questions about Nottingham (just not about the admission, I have no idea how they do it now) feel free to message me . Good luck with probably the worst year of your lives hah
    Ah thank you! Yeah I only want to apply to one bmat university so I think that's my preference,I will definitely have a look into what Manchester want
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by maya_jadee)
    imperial is all about your BMAT so they dont care about the UKCAT! Manchester need a high UKCAT as well as a good personal statement so they also sound good. Look into places such as UEA, Liverpool, Aberdeen, Dundee, SGUL and double and triple check that they do not use the SJT band at all (or if they do make sure it is only to exclude band 4!)

Manchester now rank UKCAT to exclude lower scorers, and the top UKCATS have their personal statement viewed to select the best applicants, it has got much more complex now haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)

Manchester now rank UKCAT to exclude lower scorers, and the top UKCATS have their personal statement viewed to select the best applicants, it has got much more complex now haha.
    admission to med school gets more complex every year....I remember the glorious days where BMAT was only for the gunners and Birmingham didnt require UKCAT at all. I thought we had it bad but its certainly getting worse every year :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    admission to med school gets more complex every year....I remember the glorious days where BMAT was only for the gunners and Birmingham didnt require UKCAT at all. I thought we had it bad but its certainly getting worse every year :P
    My year was the last before it all got changed (year after your admissions cycle I believe if your now in 3rd year!) and It was brilliant being able to apply to birmingham, cardiff, lancaster, liverpool and bristol and they didnt require the UKCAT, they all now do haha. And yea the BMAT was only for the proper gunners, also now a lot of places are A*AA for entry.. how times have changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    My year was the last before it all got changed (year after your admissions cycle I believe if your now in 3rd year!) and It was brilliant being able to apply to birmingham, cardiff, lancaster, liverpool and bristol and they didnt require the UKCAT, they all now do haha. And yea the BMAT was only for the proper gunners, also now a lot of places are A*AA for entry.. how times have changed.
    yep, i was 2014 entry. The time flies by so quickly...I still remember being hyped about getting an offer and now im about to start 3rd year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Nope, none at all, unfortunately.
    All of my work experience and volunteering was self sourced

I got A*s in all the fundamental subjects. My As were in Drama, ICT and an iGCSE that I voluntarily took up.

I'm pretty certain I'll get an interview at Birningham seeing as I get 7/7 in regards to GCSEs and about 2.67/3 or 3/3 for my UKCAT.
    That's very impressive! Well done. I have noticed that you have lots of work experience so you do need to figure out which ones are the best to justify the reasons on what you learnt during work experience and put them on your personal statement. The thing is University of Birmingham really emphasis on doing a lot of volunteering and they really like if people did help the elderly, disabled and sick people. Also they appreciate any part time work because it shows that people are well rounded individuals. I talked to a few people who got rejected from UoB and they were told they weren't doing enough extracurricular activities, eg just saying I play basketball sometimes doesn't count. But other than that you have a very strong application! Are you considering Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    So i got Avg, 620 Band 2
    GCSEs 5 A* 4A
    A levels A*A*A(A)

Where should i apply?
    Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.