Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    June 14 FP2 paper
    Question: https://gyazo.com/7465ec0794cc7e5591ff6c1cf5c9c738
    Mark scheme: https://gyazo.com/05340a73e15953bf33df8feb2fd276b5
    My question: e^-x is part of the complementary function, so why did they not use Axe^-x as the particular integral instead? Because from what i've learnt if the particular integral occurs in the complementary function then you'll have to times by x

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Patrick2810;65461003]but what is the equation of the circle C? (after the transformation)[/QUOTE

its (u- 9/8)^2 + v^2 = 9/64

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerrad)
    June 14 FP2 paper
    My question: e^-x is part of the complementary function, so why did they not use Axe^-x as the particular integral instead? Because from what i've learnt if the particular integral occurs in the complementary function then you'll have to times by x
    It's because in the complimentary function it doesn't have a constant in front of it. It has Acos3x or Bsin3x in front of it. If the complimentary function was of the form Ae^-x +Be^-3x then yes you test xe^-x because both the CF's and PI's e^-x have a constant in front of it and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    It's because in the complimentary function it doesn't have a constant in front of it. It has Acos3x or Bsin3x in front of it. If the complimentary function was of the form Ae^-x +Be^-3x then yes you test xe^-x because both the CF's and PI's e^-x have a constant in front of it and nothing else.
    But why?

ReputationRep:
    If you expand the bracket into A(e^-x)sin(3x) + B(e^-x)cos(3x) doesn't that makes it "have a constant in front of it" ?

ReputationRep:
    June 14 FP2 paper
    You can't use e^-x for the PI because it is an invalid solution. You would get 9 = 27 essentially. If you make the the PI y = ke^x you get a valid solution. ke^x wouldn't work IF it gave LHS = 0. This would be invalid because you can't have a solution that satisfies LHS = 0 and LHS = 27e^x at the same time. Only in this situation would you use
    y = kxe^-x

(I used k as a constant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyslocke)
    You can't use e^-x for the PI because it is an invalid solution. You would get 9 = 27 essentially. If you make the the PI y = ke^x you get a valid solution. ke^x wouldn't work IF it gave LHS = 0. This would be invalid because you can't have a solution that satisfies LHS = 0 and LHS = 27e^x at the same time. Only in this situation would you use
    y = kxe^-x

(I used k as a constant)
    You might wanna rephrase your answer because I don't think i understand what you're saying

ReputationRep:
    If you expand the bracket into A(e^-x)sin(3x) + B(e^-x)cos(3x) doesn't that makes it "have a constant in front of it" ?
    The point is that it's still being multiplied by other non-constant functions

ReputationRep:
    But it also has sin3x or cos3x attached to it. It's not Ae^-x on its own.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit unrelated to the thread but is there a way to remove the UCAS clearing pop-up notification? It comes up every time I refresh or click through a few pages. It's quite annoying ^^

ReputationRep:
    Just had a thought because no matter how much you differentiate A(e^-x)sin(3x) + B(e^-x)cos(3x) it'd always be a product of 2 functions, never a function of e by itself, which was the explanation i needed...

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit unrelated to the thread but is there a way to remove the UCAS clearing pop-up notification? It comes up every time I refresh or click through a few pages. It's quite annoying ^^
    Ad block probs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Ad block probs
    Can't have it on my phone.

ReputationRep:
    Just had a thought because no matter how much you differentiate A(e^-x)sin(3x) + B(e^-x)cos(3x) it'd always be a product of 2 functions, never a function of e by itself, which was the explanation i needed...
    True that is a much better way of explaining it

ReputationRep:
    stuck on fp2 june 09 question 6 where I can't get the correct circle equation, can someone have a look please!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatapanydude)
    stuck on fp2 june 09 question 6 where I can't get the correct circle equation, can someone have a look please!!
    |-iw| = |w|

To further explain:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    |-iw| = |-1| \times |i| \times |w|

|-1| = 1
    |i| = 1

\therefore |-1||i||w| = 1 \times 1 \times |w|

\rightarrow  |w|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    |-iw| = |w|

To further explain:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    |-iw| = |-1| \times |i| \times |w|

|-1| = 1
    |i| = 1

\therefore |-1||i||w| = 1 \times 1 \times |w|

\rightarrow  |w|
    Thanks mate, I could originally see where the -1 went but not the i, but I understand it know. Thanks again!!

ReputationRep:
    anyone have a link to the 2013 withdrawn paper, the one on pmt has a big watermark on, see https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.