Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    As edited, I could get a 2.5% interest rate redeemable in 2065, and given that the revenue on the housing scheme is 2.5% the government breaks even on it.
    I think it's compound interest, although I'm not certain. There is also the matter of how the revenues change in real terms.

EDIT: readings the article again, it isn't compound

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think it's compound interest, although I'm not certain. There is also the matter of how the revenues change in real terms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm just yet to see how the plan couldn't be financed from the revenues, with the savings as a cherry on top.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm just yet to see how the plan couldn't be financed from the revenues, with the savings as a cherry on top.
    You would need to issue the gilts at a rate lower than the returns, however the going rates are higher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You would need to issue the gilts at a rate lower than the returns, however the going rates are higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But if we offer 30 year gilts at 2.5% which is better than a 50 year GILT at 2.5% as I've seen on the DMO, then we break even and have the savings as a cherry on top, then there's the private sector having to compete with these 500k new homes with rents of £400PCM which improves economic activity in the housing market and also there's the fact that we improve the UKs housing situation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But if we offer 30 year gilts at 2.5% which is better than a 50 year GILT at 2.5% as I've seen on the DMO, then we break even and have the savings as a cherry on top, then there's the private sector having to compete with these 500k new homes with rents of £400PCM which improves economic activity in the housing market and also there's the fact that we improve the UKs housing situation.
    You keep talking about savings, what savings, and on such a long gilt I suspect you're not going to get so much, the value of gilts is ultimately determined by the base rate and what is expected to happen, there was a reason that gilt coupons crashed with the financial crisis and that's because the BoE rate crashed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You keep talking about savings, what savings, and on such a long gilt I suspect you're not going to get so much, the value of gilts is ultimately determined by the base rate and what is expected to happen, there was a reason that gilt coupons crashed with the financial crisis and that's because the BoE rate crashed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    However the BOE rate at the moment is at 0.5% which isn't too bad at all.

Savings to housing benefit which is a massive chunk of the Welfare budget.

Current inflation is 0.3% which also isn't too bad at all.

Short term gilts are at 0.5% to 1.5% and long term gilts are still under 3% so I don't know where the 3.5% figure you stated earlier came from.

I may not know much on the subject but as the discussion continues I'm becoming less and less convinced that you're being sincere.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Short term gilts are at 0.5% to 1.5% and long term gilts are still under 3% so I don't know where the 3.5% figure you stated earlier came from.

I may not know much on the subject but as the discussion continues I'm becoming less and less convinced that you're being sincere.
    3 1/2 % 2045, third page

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Also need to ask whether they're index linked or not, if index linked the percentage is the amount above inflation, if not that is all the interest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 1/2 % 2045, third page

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But even at 3.5pc that means interest repayments of £571m, and given that the housing plans would save about £300m in housing benefit, that's over 50% of the funding needed.

ReputationRep:
    Also need to ask whether they're index linked or not, if index linked the percentage is the amount above inflation, if not that is all the interest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's conventional
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But even at 3.5pc that means interest repayments of £571m, and given that the housing plans would save about £300m in housing benefit, that's over 50% of the funding needed.
    3.5% means that each year's gikt issue pays £700m interest, or more if index linked, where does the 300m figure come from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3.5% means that each year's gikt issue pays £700m interest, or more if index linked, where does the 300m figure come from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The difference in the average benefit payout to a private tenant and a social tenant inEngland, which is about £950 per year.

-edit- the GILT you're referring to is a conventional one, which is just one out of several. I maintain that the plan could be financed by a 50 year 2.5% conventional GILT
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The difference in the average benefit payout to a private tenant and a social tenant inEngland, which is about £950 per year.

-edit- the GILT you're referring to is a conventional one, which is just one out of several. I maintain that the plan could be financed by a 50 year 2.5% conventional GILT
    so how did you get £300m from £950 each?

And I'm still skeptical on 2.5% 50 year given that I doubt many potential investors expect the BoE rate to stay low enough for long enough for that to be a wise investment, even if longer GILTS are less related to the BoE rate than shorter ones.

ReputationRep:
    PetrosAC and Saracen's Fez you can fund the housing plan with a 50 year 2.5% GILT, which means that it breaks even with the revenues and involves a saving of around £300m in housing benefit.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: png GILT 50 year.png (47.9 KB, 9 views)

ReputationRep:
    so how did you get £300m from £950 each?

And I'm still skeptical on 2.5% 50 year given that I doubt many potential investors expect the BoE rate to stay low enough for long enough for that to be a wise investment, even if longer GILTS are less related to the BoE rate than shorter ones.
    The difference is £936, and the costing is based on an average over 5 years of the scheme

I attached it to the post above
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The difference is £936, and the costing is based on an average over 5 years of the scheme

I attached it to the post above
    As I recall each year you wanted 100,000 homes built, last I checked 100,000*936 is not £300m, it's only £93.6m

You're also still busy looking at the wrong data

ReputationRep:
    As I recall each year you wanted 100,000 homes built, last I checked 100,000*936 is not £300m, it's only £93.6m

You're also still busy looking at the wrong data
    (93.6 + 187.2 + 280.8 + 374.4 + 468) / 5 = 280.74
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (93.6 + 187.2 + 280.8 + 374.4 + 468) / 5 = 280.74
    (700m+1400m+2100m+2800m+3500m)/5=2100m

You're doing dodgy/misleading/unnecessary accounting again

ReputationRep:
    (700m+1400m+2100m+2800m+3500m)/5=2100m

You're doing dodgy/misleading/unnecessary accounting again
    Dodgy/misleading is unfair. Over the course of the 5 year house building plan, the average saving on housing benefit would be £280.8m, that's what I was referring to.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Dodgy/misleading is unfair. Over the course of the 5 year house building plan, the average saving on housing benefit would be £280.8m, that's what I was referring to.
    The average revenues would be £1.5bn and the average interest £2.1bn

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.