Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayMasterio)
    I have a question.

During polymerisation of an amino acid, how do you know if you're forming a dipeptide or if you're polymerising the amino acid itself?
    a dipeptide would have closed bonds and the NH2 and COOH groups at the end, but a polymer would have open bonds and NH/CO at each end?

ReputationRep:
    "for carbon-13 soectra the carbon peak from CDCl3 are removed from the spectrum" then whats the point of using it? isnt it so it won't produce a signal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no CDCL3 is used as a solvent because you need your sample to be a solution in NMR but its removed for C13 NMR because there is a carbon in it and it produces a peak
    (Original post by ranz)
    "for carbon-13 soectra the carbon peak from CDCl3 are removed from the spectrum" then whats the point of using it? isnt it so it won't produce a signal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's done 2015 NMR question, why is there a peak on the 13C spectrum furthest to the left at around 168-169ppm? What is it representing? It doesn't seem to add up...

ReputationRep:
    guys for nmr, do u guys first look at splitting, integeration etc and then look at chemical shifts,
    or do u guys do it simultaneously?
    thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazmin123)
    no CDCL3 is used as a solvent because you need your sample to be a solution in NMR but its removed for C13 NMR because there is a carbon in it and it produces a peak
    ah i see okk! thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bulkybros100)
    Anyone who's done 2015 NMR question, why is there a peak on the 13C spectrum furthest to the left at around 168-169ppm? What is it representing? It doesn't seem to add up...
    That's exactly my thought!
    I asked my teacher and this was his response
    The answer is in the hydrogen NMR. Look at the structure and identify the peaks due to the 4 hydrogens given in the molecule. The aromatic is size 7 so there must be another aromatic ring with 4 hydrogens on it. Then look at the info about a peak H-C=N. it is size three so must be a methyl group. The answer should fall out easily. The C13 spectrum is really just used to make sure your answer has 14 carbon environments

If anyone has better insight into this, it'd be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suibster)
    That's exactly my thought!
    I asked my teacher and this was his response
    The answer is in the hydrogen NMR. Look at the structure and identify the peaks due to the 4 hydrogens given in the molecule. The aromatic is size 7 so there must be another aromatic ring with 4 hydrogens on it. Then look at the info about a peak H-C=N. it is size three so must be a methyl group. The answer should fall out easily. The C13 spectrum is really just used to make sure your answer has 14 carbon environments

If anyone has better insight into this, it'd be great
    I'm also interested, it confused me when doing the question for the first time, was always thinking about a C=O

Although using all of the other info on the proton NMR and 7 environments, you can kinda figure it out. it confused me in the time conditions of the mock we did though

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465733827.161466.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465733844.551277.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  37.2 KB

guys for a q like this how would u know whether 2 ch3 attached to same carbon or its an overall symmetrical compound?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)

guys for a q like this how would u know whether 2 ch3 attached to same carbon or its an overall symmetrical compound?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The top one would be a singlet, because it's symmetrical. The bottom one wouldn't be a singlet, but a multiplet because the hydrogen is adjacent to 6 protons. But the 2xCh3 would produce a doublet because they're adjacent to a carbon with 1 proton

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayMasterio)
    The top one would be a singlet, because it's symmetrical. The bottom one wouldn't be a singlet, but a multiplet because the hydrogen is adjacent to 6 protons. But the 2xCh3 would produce a doublet because they're adjacent to a carbon with 1 proton
    but hwat if the compound was ch3ch3ch3 is symmetrical and would also produce a multiplet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    I'm also interested, it confused me when doing the question for the first time, was always thinking about a C=O

Although using all of the other info on the proton NMR and 7 environments, you can kinda figure it out. it confused me in the time conditions of the mock we did though
    ^^My thoughts exactly, especially when the Proton NMR had a peak in the C=O region 2.4ppm as well !

God I HATE Chemistry - so inconsistent and illogical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think about it simply. The top one, the CH3s are in the same environment, right? Therefore the top one is a singlet (adjacent to no hs) (let's pretend X is a ketone). Whereas the bottom is a multiplet (2xCH3) as it isn't in the same environment :/ Get it?

ReputationRep:
    I just did this question earlier and had the same problem, I think its because of the C=N carbon environment, but it doesn't have a chemical shift value on the insert, so its purely there for confusion

ReputationRep:
    That's the shift for the C connected to the N via the C=N bond, the shift for which is not listed on the data sheet. You don't need to use any information from the 13C spectrum to do the question, other than the fact that there are 14 peaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioman)
    That's the shift for the C connected to the N via the C=N bond, the shift for which is not listed on the data sheet. You don't need to use any information from the 13C spectrum to do the question, other than the fact that there are 14 peaks.
    that seems a bit ridiculous? On Tuesday should I be thinking about ignoring peaks that aren't listed on our data sheet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    that seems a bit ridiculous? On Tuesday should I be thinking about ignoring peaks that aren't listed on our data sheet?
    Read the question carefully - in June 2015 it tells you to "use your answer to (c)" (14 peaks) and "the chemical shifts and splitting patterns in the 1H NMR spectrum". Although it doesn't say it outright then it's heavily hinting that the main clues to the structure are in the 1H spectrum rather than the 13C spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    but hwat if the compound was ch3ch3ch3 is symmetrical and would also produce a multiplet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, with an RPA of 9

ReputationRep:
    My problem with the June 2015 paper was which environment caused the peak. Like the NH bond never crossed my mind, i thought it was a carbonyl compound because it has the same chemical shifts.

How would you overcome this problem?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  412.4 KB

Can anyone explain this question? Like how do you know the position of the double bond in the third monomer?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.