Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    I, at first, thought that was something to do with James Dyson and it was gonna be this giant hoover sucking up energy or something.
    And it'll cost seven times more than what a normal energy-sucking hoover would cost.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    As others have stated, nuclear power is necessary until we can effectively move to renewable alternatives.

I do agree that we need to act swiftly, however, as nuclear power will soon run out.
    I know, I support it, I was replying to Milibanter's weird comment above.

Theres enough u-235 for it to be a sustainable source of energy. Though it wont last forever neither will our sun, or the wind, or the tides.
    The Sun will last for a few million years, unlike uranium, which will run out in about 200 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    And it'll cost seven times more than what a normal energy-sucking hoover would cost.
    But you won't have to plug it in and it'll suck up more energy than the others.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I, at first, thought that was something to do with James Dyson and it was gonna be this giant hoover sucking up energy or something.
    A) it's a vacuum cleaner not a 'Hoover' the later is a brand.
    B) due to mass-energy all VACUUM CLEANERS 'suck up' energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    A) it's a vacuum cleaner not a 'Hoover' the later is a brand.
    B) due to mass-energy all VACUUM CLEANERS 'suck up' energy.
    Language changes. 'Hoover' has become acceptable usage, just like you can use 'coke' to refer to any cola drink.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    I know, I support it, I was replying to Milibanter's weird comment above.

The Sun will last for a few million years, unlike uranium, which will run out in about 200 years.
    Not saying it's accurate but this site is interesting
    Also you are ignoring plutonium and thorium.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Language changes. 'Hoover' has become acceptable usage, just like you can use 'coke' to refer to any cola drink.
    However Hoover is still a brand, my old tumble dryer was a Hoover and it seems to me that calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover is like calling Homebase own-brand paint 'Dulux'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    However Hoover is still a brand, my old tumble dryer was a Hoover and it seems to me that calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover is like calling Homebase own-brand paint 'Dulux'.
    It's different, because nobody calls paint generally 'Dulux'.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It's different, because nobody calls paint generally 'Dulux'.
    Yes but it's the same concept. Hoover caught on because the band had a monopoly on the British market. It is now barely a player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes but it's the same concept. Hoover caught on because the band had a monopoly on the British market. It is now barely a player.
    It's not the same concept. Language is defined by usage.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thank you! IRL it's a very stressful time for me, therefore I can't remain active here. I'm sure you'll find more members from somewhere, and I expect they'll be more beneficial than I've been!

I'd love to return when everything blows over, but this place changes so quickly...
    I completely understand and I'm sure the other members do as well. I hope you can resolve the difficult issues.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Diachronic language, chaps. Read yo' Chomsky
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    It's not the same concept. Language is defined by usage.
    But that is why we made the dictionary. Because we all spoke and spelt things differently across the country we couldn't understand eachother. Obviously I accept that language evolves and changes, however I would argue that there is a limit. For example before Hoover caught on and the first people started calling any vacuum cleaner a Hoover should their error have been pointed out? If so and this was an error why don't we stop it now? And if not why do we have a uniform language? Why not go back to every part of England speaks it's own language and spells things differently and no one can understand eachother?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    But that is why we made the dictionary. Because we all spoke and spelt things differently across the country we couldn't understand eachother. Obviously I accept that language evolves and changes, however I would argue that there is a limit. For example before Hoover caught on and the first people started calling any vacuum cleaner a Hoover should their error have been pointed out? If so and this was an error why don't we stop it now? And if not why do we have a uniform language? Why not go back to every part of England speaks it's own language and spells things differently and no one can understand eachother?
    Yes, the error should've been pointed out, but no, it's not an error any more. And we do still have colloquialisms which aren't incorrect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I completely understand and I'm sure the other members do as well. I hope you can resolve the difficult issues.
    Thank you. I just need time to clear my head and relax.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Yes, the error should've been pointed out, but no, it's not an error any more. And we do still have colloquialisms which aren't incorrect.
    At what point does it stop being an error?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    At what point does it stop being an error?
    It's not necessary to define a specific point. It becomes less of an error over time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is there not a Geordie dictionary?
    Or a Yorkshire one?
    Or one for Cockney rhyming slang for your monce pies, which has not got any phrases Pete Tong?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Is there not a Geordie dictionary?
    Or a Yorkshire one?
    Or one for Cockney rhyming slang for your monce pies, which has not got any phrases Pete Tong?
    Probably the only one, but Slang.ie - The Irish Slang Dictionary.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with nuclear power?
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    It's not technically renewable. And produces a bit of waste.

Feckin hippy.
    (Original post by Aph)
    No, but it's a good stopgap until we can build a Dyson Sphere.
    It's better then coal.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not serious about the Dyson sphere.
    As others have stated, nuclear power is necessary until we can effectively move to renewable alternatives.

I do agree that we need to act swiftly, however, as nuclear power will soon run out.
    ergh, the most common misconception is that nuclear is needed before we can move to renewables. Renewables are ALREADY cheaper than nuclear, what sense is there in using a more expensive source of energy as a 'stopgap'?

As for the 'danger' aspect, whilst the risk of failure is very low, that risk is still there (albeit less so in a country like ours which has very few natural disasters) and a single failure makes an entire swathe of land uninhabitable for a very long time. If there was no alternative to coal, oil, gas etc, then I would say yea go for it, but the fact is that it's simply unnecessary to take that risk when renewable sources are the same price, let alone cheaper.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.