** Official Investment Banking Spring Week 2017 Thread **

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladiatorsword)
    Welcome to the thread pal.
    You weren't part of a big4 school leaver programme were you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks GW. Nah I wasn't, it was much smaller firm on a rotational scheme and then I moved into an Analyst position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylouisetommo)
    idk what RBS are doing this year, the new progression route was explained when I was there in summer 2015, but it seems to have all changed again!

I'm not feeling too bad about this year's cycle, I've already got a few apps submitted - hopefully I've put enough work in over the last year to make them good ones, and (doubly) hopefully managed to keep my maths skills passable How about you?
    Lol same, they're being so haphazard with their recruiting.. I don't even think they'll be hiring any grads/summer interns in front office this year. That said, still enjoyed the insight programme there - met a lot of cool people.

Fingers crossed for you then! I remember you saying a few months ago that you were doing a four year course, do you think that extra year of prep you've had has helped bolster your application this time round? Weighing up whether to apply this year or wait til next since I'm considering a year abroad.

For me, short of the disaster of exams/unexpected change of uni, I think I've matured a lot on this gap year I've just come off of. So hopefully that's reflected in my interviews and applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BusMan21)
    Hi team

Just thought I would introduce myself to this thread as I have been stalking it over the last couple of weeks. I am probably going into Uni from a slightly different perspective as I have spent a couple years working in finance after finishing college to get some experience, but now I am joining everyone in their first year in applying for Spring Weeks.

I have to say, I am absolutely scared of the numerical tests, I have a couple of applications that I am ready to submit but I am just scared of submitting them as I expect a numerical test request near enough instantly. So I thought I would try and get some practice in before I think I am ready to submit. But now I am hearing some firms are not submitting numerical tests?

Anyway, good luck to everyone.

P.S - I made some calls and found out Barclays is opening in November and Citi in the next couple of weeks.
    Welcome to thread!

Where in finance did you work?

Oh don't mind the tests really, all it takes is just practice and brushing up on the basic ratio, percentage etc stuff.

And yes, Goldman and JPM have no tests in their process. Barclays does have a mixed personality/situational judgement and numerical 'challenge' but it's untimed.

Best of luck with your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Welcome to thread!

Where in finance did you work?

Oh don't mind the tests really, all it takes is just practice and brushing up on the basic ratio, percentage etc stuff.

And yes, Goldman and JPM have no tests in their process. Barclays does have a mixed personality/situational judgement and numerical 'challenge' but it's untimed.

Best of luck with your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Worked in Asset Management. And yeah you're right, just upset that a whole application could just come down to whether I am in the top quartile of a maths test.

Practice, practice, practice...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol same, they're being so haphazard with their recruiting.. I don't even think they'll be hiring any grads/summer interns in front office this year. That said, still enjoyed the insight programme there - met a lot of cool people.

Fingers crossed for you then! I remember you saying a few months ago that you were doing a four year course, do you think that extra year of prep you've had has helped bolster your application this time round? Weighing up whether to apply this year or wait til next since I'm considering a year abroad.

For me, short of the disaster of exams/unexpected change of uni, I think I've matured a lot on this gap year I've just come off of. So hopefully that's reflected in my interviews and applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, their insight programme was great - just wish applying to them was a little easier!

I think the extra year has definitely been a good thing - having had a full year in uni (when most have had only a few weeks) is probably an advantage if you use it well. Networking, for one thing. Although I'm sure most places will appreciate the experiences of your gap year too.

ReputationRep:
    Does HSBC have a numerical/verbal reasoning/situational judgement test? Haven't been sent one when i sent it off

ReputationRep:
    With regards to SEO.. Just got an email an opportunity to attend Barclays Master Class??

Is this worth it, will it enable a competitive edge when applying to Barclays..

ReputationRep:
    Im starting first yr of economics at a non-target uni with no work experience and a pretty weak CV. Is there any point applying to SWs or should I try and bulk my CV and apply for summer internships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimmyF)
    Im starting first yr of economics at a non-target uni with no work experience and a pretty weak CV. Is there any point applying to SWs or should I try and bulk my CV and apply for summer internships.
    I would say apply anyway, if you apply to enough places you might get 1 interview plus you would know how a application cycle works so you will be more prepared next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apply bro, nothing to lose you can still bulk up anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The logic doesnt follow, because you need to bulk your CV with Spring Weeks/Insight days to get a competitive Internship.

Most people on Internships have probably got hired through Spring Weeks also. So really you need to be applying for them (you have nothing to lose?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BusMan21)
    The logic doesnt follow, because you need to bulk your CV with Spring Weeks/Insight days to get a competitive Internship.

Most people on Internships have probably got hired through Spring Weeks also. So really you need to be applying for them (you have nothing to lose?).
    Not true, the vast majority won't have done any spring weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2nd year of a 3 year degree but I plan to do a masters somewhere else. How do I show this on application/CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yngblckby)
    2nd year of a 3 year degree but I plan to do a masters somewhere else. How do I show this on application/CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you have an offer already? If not, then just indicate it somewhere on the application form (e.g additional information etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yngblckby)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless there is an option to add masters (there is only on a few apps) then just write your graduating in 2019, they could just ask you in the interview and you can just tell them ur plans. (This is what an analyst told me to do)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a bad idea to postpone applications to the end of October? My original idea was early October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RWiz)
    Would it be a bad idea to postpone applications to the end of October? My original idea was early October.
    Nope sensible. Summer and grad threads are moving slowly this year, so we might not see any action until later on anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What tests does CS have after submitting please? Thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    What tests does CS have after submitting please? Thanks 😊
    Verbal followed by Numerical.

For UBS it's just a Numerical one but it's a bit longer and more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jker)
    Verbal followed by Numerical.

For UBS it's just a Numerical one but it's a bit longer and more difficult.
    Thank you!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.