Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    I'm going to be going to Tokyo from the 6th August to the 20th August. For the first week, I'll be staying with my friend in Minato-ku, then for the second week I intend to do some adventuring on my own, either to other cities in Japan like Kyoto, Osaka etc., or just explore Tokyo even more. I can't bloody well wait!

Who are you going with and for how long?
    I had better learn some useful terms, any you'd like to share?
    Ah that sounds like a plan!
    I'd get lost in such a large country, I'm going with my family for 3 weeks. I'm going to make the most of it.

(Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    How long you going for?
    3 weeks! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bossa Nova)
    I had better learn some useful terms, any you'd like to share?
    Ah that sounds like a plan!
    I'd get lost in such a large country, I'm going with my family for 3 weeks. I'm going to make the most of it.

3 weeks!
    If you see an arcade game with taiko drums called 太鼓の達人 then you must play it because it is insanely fun + addictive. (oh the 100 yens I wasted on that game)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atheistwithfaith)
    If you see an arcade game with taiko drums called 太鼓の達人 then you must play it because it is insanely fun + addictive. (oh the 100 yens I wasted on that game)
    I definitely will, If I come across it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Then I recommend "Purikura" to you You can find it at game centres.
    It is a picture seal ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I've never heard of Berlitz. I never used one of the 'Pimsleur' or 'Assimil' or whatevers, so I'm not that knowledgeable about all of that. I can highly recommend Heisig's method for learning the kanji, it's what I used to great success. However! You don't need to buy the book. This website plus a few others (namely this and this) are more than sufficient for your kanji needs. If you need any help, holler and I'd love to get involved.

Yes, Linguistics at Queens'. The interview was so fun! I had a great time there and fell even more in love with the college. Oh awesome, that'd be great if you could sign up to the Japanese class. Personally I'll keep Japanese as my thing-on-the-side, but I definitely want to study some languages at The Language Centre and in my second year (if I have time), I'd be keen to do a certificate in a language as well. Hope to see you in the Japanese Society there.
    Thank you for the website recommendations! It's really great that there are so many kanji resources online. I'm still keen to buy a book though - I'm sort of the kind of person who likes to have something they can take with them easily. However I suppose I should be getting a laptop soon. :p: If I ever need help with something I appreciate your offer.

I didn't even realise that there was a Japanese society! I should probably research what societies exist in Cambridge. It sounds like a good thing to join to keep up an interest in the language. I hope I have time for language learning as well as my degree. I know of someone who took German as an extra class but dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetra3)
    Thank you for the website recommendations! It's really great that there are so many kanji resources online. I'm still keen to buy a book though - I'm sort of the kind of person who likes to have something they can take with them easily. However I suppose I should be getting a laptop soon. :p: If I ever need help with something I appreciate your offer.

I didn't even realise that there was a Japanese society! I should probably research what societies exist in Cambridge. It sounds like a good thing to join to keep up an interest in the language. I hope I have time for language learning as well as my degree. I know of someone who took German as an extra class but dropped out.
    Not a problem; as I said a few posts above, if you ever want to talk about Japanese, just give me a shout, I am more than happy to discuss anything, and if I can help, then that's even better.

Yeah, I think there is a Japan Appreciation (which will be brimming with otaku) and a Japanese-speaking society. I think. I haven't checked in a while. You should holler when you're in the 'bridge and we can go for a coffee.

(Original post by Sinley)
    Then I recommend "Purikura" to you You can find it at game centres.
    It is a picture seal ...
    プリクラが好きだよ。友達と一緒にロンドンへ行くたびにプリクラをす るよ。超ー楽しいと思う。

ReputationRep:
    プリクラが好きだよ。友達と一緒にロンドンへ行くたびにプリクラをす るよ。超ー楽しいと思う。
    Wow does prikura exist in London!?!?!?!?? :O

ReputationRep:
    Wow does prikura exist in London!?!?!?!?? :O
    はいはい、チャイナータウンで見つけた。:D

ReputationRep:
    I intend to take up Japanese as the next language that I learn outside school, and I wish to attain fluency in it (this will be the third language I learn on my own outside of school, following Mandarin and Arabic; I also did this in Hindi, Bengali (I learnt these two from birth and I know them as well as I know English), Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Sanskrit and Marathi, which I learnt from special lessons). Could you suggest any resources I could use to build me up from scratch as regards learning Japanese (I am well aware that I need to learn the building blocks first before even nearing native-level fluency)?

ReputationRep:
    in chinese we use 同性恋 rather than 同性爱. LOL!

ReputationRep:
    莱斯特?haha, you are in Leicester. it's simply chinese. hahaha. in ancient times japanese came over to learn our advanced culture such as japenese is derived from chinese characters. so many japanese words are the same as chinese but we use different expressions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 薇薇公主)
    莱斯特?haha, you are in Leicester. it's simply chinese. hahaha. in ancient times japanese came over to learn our advanced culture such as japenese is derived from chinese characters. so many japanese words are the same as chinese but we use different expressions.
    (Original post by 薇薇公主)
    in chinese we use 同性恋 rather than 同性爱. LOL!
    Yup - Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese or Wu or Hakka or..?

Yeah, Japanese has relied heavily on Chinese in the past. I like to think of it as similar (but not in the same way) as English roots and cognates that can be found in Latin.

ReputationRep:
    このスレが死んじゃうのが不安。皆忙しいかな?

ReputationRep:
    僕は大学生でいつでも忙しくないが、火曜日に初めての就職を始めるの だ。ajattが出来ないようになるんで不安。サピエンティアさんが 就職してるんだっけ?いつ日本語の勉強を出来る時間があ るのか?

数日前ファイナルファンタジー13の日本語版をやり始めた。ゲーム自 身がまあまあだけど(笑)日本語を学ぶには何と言っても役立つと思う 。ダイアログとかがたくさんあるし。とにかくストーリー が面白い!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azimuth)
    僕は大学生でいつでも忙しくないが、火曜日に初めての就職を始めるの だ。ajattが出来ないようになるんで不安。サピエンティアさんが 就職してるんだっけ?いつ日本語の勉強を出来る時間があ るのか?

数日前ファイナルファンタジー13の日本語版をやり始めた。ゲーム自 身がまあまあだけど(笑)日本語を学ぶには何と言っても役立つと思う 。ダイアログとかがたくさんあるし。とにかくストーリー が面白い!
    仕事見つけておめでとう〜

はい、私は仕事をしています。どうやって仕事場に行くの?僕はバスで 行くので、日本の音楽を聴いたり、日本語で書かれている*本を読んだ りするのが簡単。週末にはゲームをやったり、ヒマは日本版のサイトを 読んだりする。時間の問題ではなく、動機づけの問題です。(「動機づ け」より適当な言葉、知ってるかな?)

あ!FF13だ。面白そう。バトルシステムは本当に前の方とは違って るじゃない?僕はFF12の方が大好きだ。さ、君が言った通り、ダイ アログがあれば満足だよね。どんな話題でも〜:D

*(書かれているか書いてある?どっちでもいいと思うけど、アジマス の意見は?)

ReputationRep:
    仕事見つけておめでとう〜

はい、私は仕事をしています。どうやって仕事場に行くの?僕はバスで 行くので、日本の音楽を聴いたり、日本語で書かれている*本を読んだ りするのが簡単。週末にはゲームをやったり、ヒマは日本版のサイトを 読んだりする。時間の問題ではなく、動機づけの問題です。(「動機づ け」より適当な言葉、知ってるかな?)

あ!FF13だ。面白そう。バトルシステムは本当に前の方とは違って るじゃない?僕はFF12の方が大好きだ。さ、君が言った通り、ダイ アログがあれば満足だよね。どんな話題でも〜:D

*(書かれているか書いてある?どっちでもいいと思うけど、アジマス の意見は?)
    「動機づけ」よりも「やる気」の方が、自然な日本語だと 思うよ
    私はよく、受験生の時に、「時間の問題ではなく、やる気の問題」とい う言葉を、聞きました

I think it is more natural to use "yaruki" than "douki-zuke" in this situation.
    When I was a student priparing for the university entrance exams,I ofen heard the phrase
    [It's not about time, it's about your motivation!]

ReputationRep:
    「動機づけ」よりも「やる気」の方が、自然な日本語だと 思うよ
    私はよく、受験生の時に、「時間の問題ではなく、やる気の問題」とい う言葉を、聞きました

I think it is more natural to use "yaruki" than "douki-zuke" in this situation.
    When I was a student priparing for the university entrance exams,I ofen heard the phrase
    [It's not about time, it's about your motivation!]
    やる気、やる気。そういう言葉はもうわかるのに、忘れた!ありがとう ございます。

はい、時間の問題ではなく、やる気ですね。

時々、やる気に満ちているような気がする、僕は。けどさぁ、今日は一 日中日本語で何かをしようとしていたのに、非常に疲れている今は、眠 りたいだけです。

脳を消す方法知ってるの?(>-_-)>

ReputationRep:
    やる気、やる気。そういう言葉はもうわかるのに、忘れた!ありがとう ございます。

はい、時間の問題ではなく、やる気ですね。

時々、やる気に満ちているような気がする、僕は。けどさぁ、今日は一 日中日本語で何かをしようとしていたのに、非常に疲れている今は、眠 りたいだけです。

脳を消す方法知ってるの?(>-_-)>

脳を消す????:confused:

ReputationRep:
    If I am correct, he is saying "Do you know of a way to turn off one's brain?".
    脳を消す = to switch one's brain/memory off ・ to make one's brain/memory disappear/erase, etc.

Well, that's what I thought but.. I'm not confident in my abilities, if I'm honest. Ha ha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    If I am correct, he is saying "Do you know of a way to turn off one's brain?".
    脳を消す = to switch one's brain/memory off ・ to make one's brain/memory disappear/erase, etc.

Well, that's what I thought but.. I'm not confident in my abilities, if I'm honest. Ha ha
    Oh I see...thanks! If he meant that he forced his brain to overwork, all he had to do was go to bed ...then ...in that case, I would say...脳を休ませる. So interesting....

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.