Chess games

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrospective)
    I'm alright fanks, and yourself?
    Haha good. Yeah I'm alright too thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    And there was also the notable Anand vs Smirin where again Anand spent almost 2 minutes (this was blitz btw) on his 4th move which was very standard... unless we're talking about the same game?

Yeah a lot of chess videos makes it so that you know what you're aiming for when playing chess; you know how the top players play and you aim to replicate the thought processes etc. whereas if you didn't watch any videos/study at all you'd probably improve much more slowly from practice.

I never play e5 either lol, always c5 like you. But maybe I'd benefit from practising e5 since it's so universal; there must be a lot of chess to learn from such positions. Usually my games don't even go into normal openings because I generally play quite weak players and they never play mainlines (like you'll always see Bowdler attack and pushing rook pawns unnecessarily etc.), which is largely the reason why I want to get to a higher rating.
    Yeah, either it happened twice or I'm mixing up two games. Swear I remember Kasparov on the other side of the board though...

Indeed videos, or just doing some study in general, are possibly superior to playing at the lower levels, at least blitz or bullet.

e4-e5 theory is terrifying (not that sicilian theory is much better, but I tend to feel less on edge with it) so I try to avoid it. But certainly many of the resulting positions are rich and instructive, from what I recall of watching great games from said positions. A good tip is to go into custom and change your minimum to -50, it, obviously, increases the probability of getting somebody higher rated than you, and if they are lower rated than you it won't be by a lot. But yeah honestly I swear Bowdler is the most common response I face. Nf3 is probably second lol. Mainlines seem more common when I play d4, most people go for typical set-ups.

ReputationRep:
    I would PM but he's banned too. :rofl:
    ...can I haz semi-final in that case

ReputationRep:
    https://lichess.org/2ZnT2Kbk open game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    ...can I haz semi-final in that case
    I'll track him down first, so don't get too excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yeah, either it happened twice or I'm mixing up two games. Swear I remember Kasparov on the other side of the board though...

Indeed videos, or just doing some study in general, are possibly superior to playing at the lower levels, at least blitz or bullet.

e4-e5 theory is terrifying (not that sicilian theory is much better, but I tend to feel less on edge with it) so I try to avoid it. But certainly many of the resulting positions are rich and instructive, from what I recall of watching great games from said positions. A good tip is to go into custom and change your minimum to -50, it, obviously, increases the probability of getting somebody higher rated than you, and if they are lower rated than you it won't be by a lot. But yeah honestly I swear Bowdler is the most common response I face. Nf3 is probably second lol. Mainlines seem more common when I play d4, most people go for typical set-ups.
    That's true, by avoiding e5 I'm dodging Ruy Lopez, King's Gambit, Scotch, Danish, Italian and all that malarky. Maybe I'll just stick with c5 now that I think about it XD.

It is a bit embarrassing though that the most common opening we play against is the Bowdler, shows how good some of our opponents are lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'll track him down first, so don't get too excited.
    My game didn't happen, because when i clicked to play i got hit by a denial of service attack, which may or may not be related to the opponent, and after that he has ignored all of my messages.

Do you think it is worth setting up a new tournament?

John....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    My game didn't happen, because when i clicked to play i got hit by a denial of service attack, which may or may not be related to the opponent, and after that he has ignored all of my messages.

Do you think it is worth setting up a new tournament?

John....
    Oh okay, strange.

Is it okay if we finish this one, you can win by default. (:

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, strange.

Is it okay if we finish this one, you can win by default. (:
    okay i will pm my opponent again, and if he doesn't reply by another day or so i will take the win, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    okay i will pm my opponent again, and if he doesn't reply by another day or so i will take the win, thanks.
    Okie dokes. (:

ReputationRep:
    Okie dokes. (:
    Okay i have told him, i will let you know what he says.....

ReputationRep:
    Okay i have told him, i will let you know what he says.....
    Okay cool, lemme know tomorrow. There's only a few "matches" left

ReputationRep:
    I wanna play too🤗

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samerf)
    I wanna play too🤗
    https://lichess.org/TfbV0Onk
    I'll play you xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I'll play you xD
    I'll wait 5 mins before joining anyway

ReputationRep:
    Extremely angry at myself, saw a basic game winning tactic the split second I missed it and played another (stupid) move: https://www.chess.com/live#g=1711666727
    After back rank check Bh7+ obviously wins. I can't play that frustrated with myself, so I resigned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I'll play you xD
    Aww thanks 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks 🙂
    🙂
    Currently playing LifeIsFine atm, but I'll play when I'm next free.

ReputationRep:
    Aww thanks 🙂
    https://lichess.org/f6E9ssz4 join here if you want to play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I'll play you xD
    XOR_ nm about the rematch.
    Gonna call it a day now lol.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.