Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    Met Skinner, got a photo with Corbyn, talked to the chair of London Young Labour and met some other delegates. That and the free wine has made tonight pretty good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Met Skinner, got a photo with Corbyn, talked to the chair of London Young Labour and met some other delegates. That and the free wine has made tonight pretty good.
    I'm honestly not sure which of those 3 things must have been worse for you. The raving old guy, the extremist who's managed to become leader of the opposition or the Momentum stooge who probably thinks the straight while male should be castrated.

ReputationRep:
    Junior doctors have withdrawn from the 5-day strike action in light of staffing concerns during the strike (oh the irony)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm honestly not sure which of those 3 things must have been worse for you. The raving old guy, the extremist who's managed to become leader of the opposition or the Momentum stooge who probably thinks the straight while male should be castrated.
    You must have never met Ben Butterworth he is certainly no momentum member aha, voted Liz Kendal last year and Owen this year.

I've also met Richard Angell, leader of progress, Emily Thornberry, Angela Eagle, Ben Bradshaw and one or two other MPs at the gay club LGBT Labour are hosting their annual club night at this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    London Young Labour is notoriously Blairite - most of young/student Labour is although obviously starting to become less so now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 41% (-)
    LAB: 26% (-2)
    UKIP: 14% (+1)
    LDEM: 8% (-1)
    GRN: 4% (-)
    (via ICM)

Lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    (via ICM)

Lol
    Still 3 points off their lowest opposition polling

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (via ICM)

Lol
    The one thing that stands out to me as odd about all the polling is that they've consistently got the Greens on 3-5%. Have they really gotten more popular since the last election with no media attention and Labour moving right into their territory? Will there REALLY be 4% of the populace left-wing enough to support the Greens who go and vote for them when there's a chance of a Corbyn government? Still shows a huge amount of work to be done, of course.

ReputationRep:
    So sad that Labour have decided to elect the communist Corbyn. I feel a bit abashed to have actually supported him at the start. I honestly can't see Labour back in power for another generation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (via ICM)

Lol
    What must be remembered is ICM consistently poll a few points in favour of the Tories v the mean, in the same way YouGov consistently does the same with Labour

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    And today the BMA have shown themselves to be totally incompetent and the relevant organisation should strike all those at the top of the organisation off as doctors, if it takes them a month to realise that 5 day strikes are dangerous to patients they clearly can't be trusted when they don't have anywhere near as much time to see much less obvious things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Injective)
    So sad that Labour have decided to elect the communist Corbyn. I feel a bit abashed to have actually supported him at the start. I honestly can't see Labour back in power for another generation.
    What changed? Purely practical reasons in terms of elections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wine? Not beer? Says it all really.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Still not champagne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    The one thing that stands out to me as odd about all the polling is that they've consistently got the Greens on 3-5%. Have they really gotten more popular since the last election with no media attention and Labour moving right into their territory? Will there REALLY be 4% of the populace left-wing enough to support the Greens who go and vote for them when there's a chance of a Corbyn government? Still shows a huge amount of work to be done, of course.
    By 2020 we will most probably have left the EU and so most of the UKIP vote will either stay at home or go elsewhere. We will also have had four more years of a Tory right wing government favouring the rich.

So a lot can change

ReputationRep:
    By 2020 we will most probably have left the EU and so most of the UKIP vote will either stay at home or go elsewhere. We will also have had four more years of a Tory right wing government favouring the rich.

So a lot can change
    As much as I'd like to believe that with UKIP I don't. They will only be placated by a "hard Brexit" and if that were to happen we'd see many of them move to the Tories which is obviously even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    As much as I'd like to believe that with UKIP I don't. They will only be placated by a "hard Brexit" and if that were to happen we'd see many of them move to the Tories which is obviously even worse.
    I disagree with this. UKIP's rise in 2015 was largely among white working class electorates - traditionally Labour voters who would never in a million years vote Tory. UKIP won very few votes off the Tories because of the referendum promise.

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand most beer. Normally would drink cider or run but neither where available

ReputationRep:
    Can't stand most beer. Normally would drink cider or run but neither where available
    Cider or beer is supporting British small businesses, unless you drink the muck called Carlsberg. Stella or its ilk. Most wine is made abroad. And Blairite to drink wine imho.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    if anyone ever chucks a alcoholism test at you then for sure their not a fire and get rid of the ****ers

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.