Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    We should just bid £35m for Rooney and see what Utd say. After all we are less of a threat to them than Chelsea so perhaps they'd be more inclined to sell to us.
    Rooney isn't for sale. How much clearer do United have to be.............

ReputationRep:
    Idiotic Newcastle fans tryna say Cabaye is worth 30m. Holy ****? What the deluded **** are they on?

10m for Cabaye is not insulting, that's how much he's worth tbh but since the market is so incredibly inflated clubs want to rip other clubs off. I wouldn't go beyond 15m tbf.

ReputationRep:
    A disinterested Rooney got two assists in 30 mins on saturday, he won't be sold.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Cabaye has been unsettled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    I've never been anti Wenger and always said we need to be realistic about our financial restrictions,
    There has never been any financial restrictions on Arsenal for some years now. It's just been Wenger's reluctance to spend (the board may have had some influence as well sometimes).
    The doomsayers are out as usual,
    It's not like Arsenal are going to get relegated or anything like that. But there's clearly no ambition within the club in terms of transfers/signings. Even if Arsenal finish top 4 again or win a FA cup, it's not good enough. For all the suffering the Arsenal fans have had to endure in the last 8 years, they deserved some big signings this summer, along with a clear intent that Arsenal were going to challenge for big trophies in the next few seasons. For years, Wenger has constantly neglected Arsenal's problems on the field (e.g. no top class GK, DM etc). Many quality players are getting signed by other clubs for relatively cheap prices and Wenger moans about "lack of value in the market"?! Wtf? He has been screwing the fans over for years but his fanboys have helped him keep his job and continue ruining Arsenal. Even worse is the fact that Arsenal over the last 8 years has had better players and more money than Wigan, Portsmouth and Birmingham. Yet those clubs have won trophies in the last 8 years but Arsenal hasn't. Clearly Wenger's managerial and tactical skills these days are questionable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1tsun3)
    The board need to get on their hands and knees and beg David Dein to come back, or they need to pull their finger out of their arse and bring in another deal maker like him, someone who can close deals quickly. Wenger: "I want player x, y, z." Dealmaker: "No problem, I'll make it happen. I'll close those deals quickly."
    Harvey Specter!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    Idiotic Newcastle fans tryna say Cabaye is worth 30m. Holy ****? What the deluded **** are they on?

10m for Cabaye is not insulting, that's how much he's worth tbh but since the market is so incredibly inflated clubs want to rip other clubs off. I wouldn't go beyond 15m tbf.
    I think its understandable Newcastle try to get more, they paid £10m for him in 2011.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How is Cabaye going to improve our squad? He not really any better than what we already have. Plus, our priority should be to sign a DM, preferably Pogba. Throw enough money at Juve and they'll sell. He was brilliant last season and this summer for France at the U20 WC. I don't mind spending for him as he's young but also has quite a bit of experience and is a powerhouse. Arteta/Pogba and Ramsey/Pogba would be an amazing combo!

Also, why haven't we signed Cesar yet? Can we seriously not compromise. Maybe meet somewhere in between on, or say we'll pay the salary you want, but the contract will only be for 2 years or something like that.

It's just so frustrating. Where is my ST money going? Why have just purchased a ticket to Fulham away? Come on Arsenal, make a positive move, please. Prove us all wrong. We beg you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Looks like Cabaye has been unsettled.
    I wonder whether it was Arsenal's bid that led to him not playing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    I think its understandable Newcastle try to get more, they paid £10m for him in 2011.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, slap another £1 down. That should do it.

But seriously, I don't think he's really improved all that much since then. Maybe £12m, if Wenger must, but I'd rather take that and spend it on someone else that is more worthy of be bought for over the odds.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle paid 5m for Cabaye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1tsun3)
    Ok, slap another £1 down. That should do it.

But seriously, I don't think he's really improved all that much since then. Maybe £12m, if Wenger must, but I'd rather take that and spend it on someone else that is more worthy of be bought for over the odds.
    Yeah I agree, £12m max. And knowing Wenger, we're not gonna go much higher. But I just think him not playing today tells a story.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)

You shouldn't even be trying to get him in the first place. He's not needed.

You need a GK, CB, DM & ST. Some proper wingers would help as well.

It's likely that this 'fake' bid is just an attempt to appease the stupid fans who would fall for it.

ReputationRep:
    This whole Cabaye situation is a joke on so many levels
    i)We dont need an AM
    ii)We need about 6 other players in the next 2 weeks instead
    iii)Wenger bidding 10m for a player worth nearly twice that amount just making himself look even more delusional
    iv)Instead of either moving on or increasing the bid immediately well probably come back in a weeks time with an 11m bid.

This window just gets more and more pathetic, its a sackable offense tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    We should just bid £35m for Rooney and see what Utd say. After all we are less of a threat to them than Chelsea so perhaps they'd be more inclined to sell to us. Don't quite understand what Moyes was doing saying that they need Rooney as back up to RVP. Doesn't exactly make you feel like your wanted at a club.

Our ability to close a deal is shocking really. Don't understand why we bid £10m for Cabaye, he's not exactly a DM and why would Newcastle even sell at that price. Another derisory offer. It just seems like we're bidding for players for the sake of it, rather than having a clear intention to close the deal. Tjhis is where we really miss David Dein. Actually thought we'd have an outside shot for the title this year but I feel Spurs will be that team this year if they keep hold of Bale. Been really impressed with their signings, AVB is clearly building a squad to challenge for the title. They seem to have gone under the radar.
    Moyes said his second choice to play as a number 9 is Rooney, and not Hernandez/Welbeck. He still wants Rooney to start as a number 10 as much as possible.

As for Arsenal bidding for Rooney, I'm actually surprised Arsene hasn't yet, really surprised. One of the few strikers left in the market who may possibly leave their club. I think Arsene may put in a bid of around £30m this week, which will obviously be rejected. I think even £40m will be rejected from Arsenal tbh. There's also the whole wages thing, we all know his demands, will he really come into your squad earning two and a half times more than you next highest earner?

ReputationRep:
    It would make more sense Wenger making a bid for Ben Arfa instead, we need a decent winger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    This whole Cabaye situation is a joke on so many levels
    i)We dont need an AM
    ii)We need about 6 other players in the next 2 weeks instead
    iii)Wenger bidding 10m for a player worth nearly twice that amount just making himself look even more delusional
    iv)Instead of either moving on or increasing the bid immediately well probably come back in a weeks time with an 11m bid.

This window just gets more and more pathetic, its a sackable offense tbh.
    Yeah.

A manager under normal circumstances should be sacked for this shambles of a transfer window. But since Wenger's contract expires this season (if it's not extended later), you might as well keep him for now.

ReputationRep:
    Just read the AST quote. Not sure what to make of it. Does it help? Hmmmmm

Sure this is Wenger's last season.

Surprised Usmanov hasn't got involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Moyes said his second choice to play as a number 9 is Rooney, and not Hernandez/Welbeck. He still wants Rooney to start as a number 10 as much as possible.

As for Arsenal bidding for Rooney, I'm actually surprised Arsene hasn't yet, really surprised. One of the few strikers left in the market who may possibly leave their club. I think Arsene may put in a bid of around £30m this week, which will obviously be rejected. I think even £40m will be rejected from Arsenal tbh. There's also the whole wages thing, we all know his demands, will he really come into your squad earning two and a half times more than you next highest earner?
    Oh I see, guess the media blew those quotes out of proportion then. Don't see why Rooney would want to leave Utd tbh, but RVP being the star man may have something to do with it. He's not used to being second fiddle.

I think the wages will be a problem, he's on around £250k per week at United, I highly doubt we'd pay that. The most we'd probably pay is £150k. Our offer to RVP was £130k IIRC. The whole striker situation at Arsenal baffles me, we need a striker more than Chelsea yet they are the ones pursuing Rooney. It's just extremely negligent by Wenger, if he truly believes going into the season with one striker is enough, not to mention the other deficiencies in the squad such as the lack of depth in most positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r4dical)
    It would make more sense Wenger making a bid for Ben Arfa instead, we need a decent winger.
    Agreed.

Although I am concerned about his injury record. He hasn't played as many games as someone of his quality should.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.