The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ridwan12)
1) She lied about hate crimes against her and received a scholarship that could have been used by actually disadvantaged AA's
2) A black man could never claim he is white, while and also receive white privilege and not be subject to institutional racism. While she can put on this "identity" whenever she wants and return to privilege whenever she wants.
3) You cannot change your ethnicity it is a part of you.
4) Much like b-style in japan this is merely another example of appropriation and cos-playing of black identity.

It isn't just the left that are against, in fact the left are more supportive of this...
Technically you can change your ethnicity. Not your race though.
ridwan12
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
Technically you can change your ethnicity. Not your race though.
No such thing as race. You can't change your ethnicity.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not going to get into that debate, seeing as there ethnicity can be defined in multiple ways. Also just because there's no such thing as biological race doesn't mean it isn't a social concept.
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not going to get into that debate, seeing as there ethnicity can be defined in multiple ways. Also just because there's no such thing as biological race doesn't mean it isn't a social concept.
The social concept is ethnicity....................... ............
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The social concept is ethnicity....................... ............
Did I say it wasn't?
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is, race is a scientific term used a lot in taxonomy to differentiate between genetically different human populations. There is a stronger argument to reject the concept of ethnicity because it differentiates between people based on different looks and cultures. You cannot claim there is no such thing as race without rejecting the idea of a different phenotype producing different human characteristics.
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Did I say it wasn't?
ok then...
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
There is, race is a scientific term used a lot in taxonomy to differentiate between genetically different human populations. There is a stronger argument to reject the concept of ethnicity because it differentiates between people based on different looks and cultures. You cannot claim there is no such thing as race without rejecting the idea of a different phenotype producing different human characteristics.
Race between humans doesn't exist. It isn't a biological reality but a myth, the social concept of race depends on this.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people are black some people are white. You need a name for that.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Upon referencing the great authority that is Wikipedia, both race and ethnicity and social constructs.
Race is to do with appearance, although was originally about language.
Ethnicity I'd to do with who you identify with, mostly ancestral, cultural, social and national.

Thus in terms of ethnicity a white person could in theory declared themselves black, although almost impossible to do so for race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In other news, Philae has woken up again c:

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Race between humans doesn't exist. It isn't a biological reality but a myth, the social concept of race depends on this.
You do not have any grounds for disproving the existence of race but I have grounds to prove its existence. It is a fact genes control what colour skin humans have, the type of hair humans have, the facial features, or the size of human bodies. Humans can receive surgery to change their features, however, their genes will always remain the same which demonstrate the inability to change race as RayApparently correctly stated.

Race as a social structure is derived from the biological differences between humans to differentiation between groups of people. By denying the existence of biological race you are denying there are differences between the genes of different humans in different parts of the world. This claim can be proven to be wrong by bringing up albinism where the MC1R genes has a defect which limits the amount of melanin produced. The biological defect in the MC1R gene allows society to construct the term Albino race
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Upon referencing the great authority that is Wikipedia, both race and ethnicity and social constructs.
Race is to do with appearance, although was originally about language.
Ethnicity I'd to do with who you identify with, mostly ancestral, cultural, social and national.

Thus in terms of ethnicity a white person could in theory declared themselves black, although almost impossible to do so for race.
As someone currently reading the 'History of the English Speaking Peoples' (fascinating stuff) the concept of race as linguistic groups intrigues me.

My earlier point was as ethnicity is about self-identification and race is about classification one can arguably change ethnicities whilst being unable to change races.

Ultimately I don't think it matters what words we use to describe it, as long as we treat everyone with respect and without prejudice regardless of race/ethnicity/whatever.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Some people are black some people are white. You need a name for that.
Succinctly put.
ridwan12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You do not have any grounds for disproving the existence of race but I have grounds to prove its existence. It is a fact genes control what colour skin humans have, the type of hair humans have, the facial features, or the size of human bodies. Humans can receive surgery to change their features, however, their genes will always remain the same which demonstrate the inability to change race as RayApparently correctly stated.

Race as a social structure is derived from the biological differences between humans to differentiation between groups of people. By denying the existence of biological race you are denying there are differences between the genes of different humans in different parts of the world. This claim can be proven to be wrong by bringing up albinism where the MC1R genes has a defect which limits the amount of melanin produced. The biological defect in the MC1R gene allows society to construct the term Albino race
"There are genetic characteristics that associate with certain populations, but none of these is exclusive, nor correspond uniquely with any one group that might fit a racial epithet. Regional adaptations are real, but these tend to express difference within so-called races, not between them. Sickle-cell anaemia affects people of all skin colours because it has evolved where malaria is common. "

This sums up my point of view.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Ha. Half right.

While there's no girl at the moment i have found that since i prefer a girl who's much more caring and generally 'completes me' rather than 'is me' that the women i go for do tend to turn out to be pretty liberal and even lefty. That being said i don't tend to go for heavily academic women so I've never had to deal with an ultra feminist types and would never be with a women who did not shave or wax.
I don't know if women tend to be more left-wing than men but a few girls have made me feel positively Tory.

Maybe one day you'll meet a Labourite girl and do a Bercow.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I may be off the mark with both of these but before I had you down as a prudish introvert who is a bit left, a feminist, a cat lover, and enjoys the finer things in life; now I have you down as an extroverted tomboy who likes cats, partying, and camping. You have transformed from the Hyacinth Bucket wifey character to the mate you would take camping and want to play video games with while stuffing your faces full of pizza. I am hoping you reveal you are a mixture of the two because that is the perfect specimen of mankind.
While I am at it, I imagine you as the 18 year old nerd who really wants a girlfriend but does not have one, has traditional but modern views making you the nice guy the girls constantly friend zone, is a member of debating club and spends time reading about history, politics, and maths. You are the person who stresses out over any exam of any size, choosing to deploy your expert procrastination skills over your revision skills. You like to focus on the negative aspects of something over the positive ones, you are staunchly middle class and quick to judge young parents when they allow their toddlers to misbehave, and you are cynical when it comes to benefit claimants. Your home is a detached farmhouse located in a quest, rural area with a pub next to the chapel. This description is the same description I would attach to most of my friends and goes some way to how I would describe myself.
:wavey:Do me next!
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Does it matter how you're right... you're right!!!!

With regard to your nerd test: I'd definitely take the party (depending on who's going)

Well, it was my brother who taught me to be more patient because a lot of the time he'd be wailing and **** which made me more sympathetic to them... as you say though, the planes... just sedate them...

At least average height for a woman, but not more than 6 foot. Brown hair, doesn't wear glasses, and good in bed. She'd also need to be able to put up with my cynicism and dark moods.
Did you say you're 18 in July? So am I!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know if women tend to be more left-wing than men but a few girls have made me feel positively Tory.

Maybe one day you'll meet a Labourite girl and do a Bercow.
Pre-Blair, women did tend to be Tory in comparison to men. That's changed around now.

With the left being increasingly associated with feminism and LGBT things i suspect the effeminate nature probably attracts more politically active women. Plus of course, Tories don't tend to be going round protesting so most politically active young people are bound to lean left before the disengaged get older and things even out.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Did you say you're 18 in July? So am I!
Haha, yes!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads