The Manchester United Thread XIX Watch

This discussion is closed.
bj27
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Na you still need a winger otherwise you can end up being in the same situation as Arsenal 13/14 or the City team under Mancini and Pellegrini's second season.

Unless Markovic or Ibe were to turn good and be reliable pacey options.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ed survives another conference call without any questions on the manager and his pre-conference statement had nothing on LVG compared to last year. I wonder whether there is a little nudge prior to ask no questions about LVG? Not sure how this invester conferences work but must be something unless these guys really do only care about the store expansion..
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So some Italian source has broke the Mourinho deal as being completed then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bammy jastard 27)
Na you still need a winger otherwise you can end up being in the same situation as Arsenal 13/14 or the City team under Mancini and Pellegrini's second season.

Unless Markovic or Ibe were to turn good and be reliable pacey options.
True - suddenly we'd have way too many players going forward though.
Ibe likely doesn't have a future with us and we'll have to see about Markovic.

If we bought Götze we'd almost certainly sell Lallana, but if we bought a winger I'm not sure who's place he could take in the first team.
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
True - suddenly we'd have way too many players going forward though.
Ibe likely doesn't have a future with us and we'll have to see about Markovic.

If we bought Götze we'd almost certainly sell Lallana, but if we bought a winger I'm not sure who's place he could take in the first team.
Coutinho
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dirtybit)
Do you actually think that Gotze would improve you?

You have enough CAM/SS players as it is. I would be targetting speed demon wingers and defenders if I was Klopp.
Of course he would, he'd be their best player by miles ffs
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Coutinho
Lol pls

I have dreams of Coutinho, Götze and Firmino playing behind Sturridge.

Although like you said, even though our fullbacks are attacking, the option to have a quality winger would be useful.
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Lol pls

Although like you said, even though our fullbacks are attacking, the option to have a quality winger would be useful.
If you have a quality winger along with Gotze Coutinho is a bench player easily.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you have a quality winger along with Gotze Coutinho is a bench player easily.
Pls stop trolling

You're not buying him ok
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
Of course he would, he'd be their best player by miles ffs
Same Gotze that warms Bayern's bench and has regressed? I don't think so.

Sturridge when fit is better.
Zayn is Bae
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
Lol pls

Having a quality winger isn't an "option", it's a must. Coutinho, Firmino and Gotze wouldn't work at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zayn is Bae)
Having a quality winger isn't an "option", it's a must. Coutinho, Firminho and Gotze wouldn't work at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firminho
Zayn is Bae
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Firminho
Strong edit of my post to make a typo

Posted from TSR Mobile
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Strong edit of my post to make a typo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strong "Last edited by Zayn is Bae; 1 minute ago at 14:44."
Zayn is Bae
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
Strong "Last edited by Zayn is Bae; 1 minute ago at 14:44."
Missed out a full stop

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Having a quality winger isn't an "option", it's a must. Coutinho, Firmino and Gotze wouldn't work at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's funny because we've gotten to 2 cup finals this season by playing mainly Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana, none of which are wingers.

U fool
Zayn is Bae
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
That's funny because we've gotten to 2 cup finals this season by playing mainly Coutinho, Firmino and Lallana, none of which are wingers.

U fool
And you're like 12th in the league. Name one other top team who doesn't have a good/great winger?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And you're like 12th in the league. Name one other top team who doesn't have a good/great winger?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That doesn't answer my point.

I'm saying that we clearly don't "need" a top winger to play our football, and since we've gotten to 2 cup finals in Klopp's 7 months of management, obviously he can make it work without one.

Not saying we won't get one, just that you need to understand that you can play good football without one (although I'd like for us to have that option).
bj27
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
That doesn't answer my point.

I'm saying that we clearly don't "need" a top winger to play our football, and since we've gotten to 2 cup finals in Klopp's 7 months of management, obviously he can make it work without one.

Not saying we won't get one, just that you need to understand that you can play good football without one (although I'd like for us to have that option).
I did say what they said to Arsenal fans in 13/14. You have the advantage that Sturridge/Origi are quick unlike Giroud but you need width badly. I think there will be teams that just pack the middle with strong midfielders and you have no answer. Add to that Klopps football was highly dependent on speed in transition, he had at least one outlet of pace(or two in 12/13) and you can't hurt with a bit of pace.

Anyway I expect Coutinho, Gotze, Firmino and Lallana to be vying for gametime as other than at ST(where there are arguably better options than Firmino there) there isn't space for a working system with those three on the pitch all the time. You could do with the depth as there is a potential CL campaign anyway. Doesn't need to be a Navas type player, more a Hazard.
Lúcio
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did say what they said to Arsenal fans in 13/14. You have the advantage that Sturridge is quick but you need width badly. I think there will be teams that just pack the middle and you have no answer. Add to that Klopps football was highly dependent on speed on the counter attack, he had at least one outlet of pace(or two in 12/13).

Then again Liverpool can play a variety of formations, I think a narrow 4-4-2 could work, I don't see how 3AMs who aren't notably quick can work though, especially considering how weak the midfielders behind the 3AMs are.
I think having a player like Götze with that extra bit of class could make a difference.

If you have Sturridge up top, having pacey AM's isn't too necessary if they're all high quality with good vision. If they can have a good partnership, they can pass it round the opponents rather than run. I do know what you mean though - what I wouldn't give to have a high quality winger or somebody like Hazard. He brought the game to life for you and was a few levels above anybody else on that pitch.

We still have Grujic and Matip to come in too at minimal spend, so who knows how we'll far next season.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (68)
19.21%
Labour (140)
39.55%
Liberal Democrats (74)
20.9%
Green Party (26)
7.34%
Brexit Party (10)
2.82%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.69%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.41%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)
0%
UKIP (4)
1.13%
Other (3)
0.85%
None (18)
5.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise