The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Pre-Blair, women did tend to be Tory in comparison to men. That's changed around now.

With the left being increasingly associated with feminism and LGBT things i suspect the effeminate nature probably attracts more politically active women. Plus of course, Tories don't tend to be going round protesting so most politically active young people are bound to lean left before the disengaged get older and things even out.
Is there a census for these things?

Hadn't thought about it like that tbh. I personally think the future of the British right-wing is libertarianism, which may lead to some association with those liberal groups.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ridwan12)
"There are genetic characteristics that associate with certain populations, but none of these is exclusive, nor correspond uniquely with any one group that might fit a racial epithet. Regional adaptations are real, but these tend to express difference within so-called races, not between them. Sickle-cell anaemia affects people of all skin colours because it has evolved where malaria is common. "

This sums up my point of view.
That does not make sense, your statement lifted via the Guardian misses the point as its argument is that because one genetic characteristic associates with certain populations none are exclusive, thus race does not exist. This does not address the debate since the argument we are having centres around using the genetic differences individuals have as a basis for constructing a race, regardless of any other social constructs the individuals could be put into. For your statement to work in the debate we are having you would have to prove that gene defects are always caused by the geographical location of someone, all I have to do is find one case where geographic location does not affect genes, I have done this by highlighting the MC1R gene and I use your quotation which states genetic differences are not exclusive to persons in one geographic location as further proof differences in genes can be a basis for classifying people.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Haha, yes!
Then next month we shall raid the bar and put it on the taxpayer's bill!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'on the House'.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Sounds like a plan.
(Original post by RayApparently)
Haha yes.!
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ridwan12)
"There are genetic characteristics that associate with certain populations, but none of these is exclusive, nor correspond uniquely with any one group that might fit a racial epithet. Regional adaptations are real, but these tend to express difference within so-called races, not between them. Sickle-cell anaemia affects people of all skin colours because it has evolved where malaria is common. "

This sums up my point of view.
You need parimetres to references sets of people though. I mean you can tie yourself into knots trying to figure out exactly how much a dog would have to change to not be a dob but what's the point.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is there a census for these things?

Hadn't thought about it like that tbh. I personally think the future of the British right-wing is libertarianism, which may lead to some association with those liberal groups.
Every election has analysis of social groups ect.. i've no links beyond the 2015 election though..

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/bl...n-really-voted

Yeah. Classical liberalism seems to be where most CF members i've met are at although there are a few non-libertarian things supported like strong defense (pure libertarians tend to want to reduce us practically to nukes).

Hmm.. the problem with those groups is that while it's liberal to support equal rights a lot of the things supported by the mainstream movement are pretty left like quotas or in the case of feminism, blatantly anti-male ideas. You also get a lot of people (including at least 3 MP's on here) who are militants. Unless there's a radical shift to the authoritarian left then i suspect most of the young right will continue to be silently supportive rather than out there protesting.
thehistorybore
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Indeed!
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:wavey:Do me next!
You remind me of someone I know. I think you are extroverted where you are excited at being around people or doing lots of different activities, you are the outgoing person in a social group who likes to think they can make friends with anyone. I get the impression you are a thinky person who likes to think things through instead of experiencing things, and you prefer to look towards the future rather than using history as a way to view things. However, I believe you are also a bit reserved in life liking to have everything under control. You do not like rushing to complete things, you like lists, and you want to have things decided; being laid back living each day as it comes creates anxiety for you.

Politically, I would describe you as a modernist who holds traditional family views, not views which confine women to the kitchen I but I think you are a person who wants to eventually settle down and have two or three children. Despite beliefs in unity and seeing nationality as an artificial construction based on the area you were born, I believe you still see yourself as primarily British English, not other. I would put you down as a someone is somewhat materialistic not to the extent of living life based around money, but you do not follow the tide of people who would take happiness over wealth, as you are of the opinion wealth can bring happiness. Your support for Labour comes from you being an angry student who, being stretched as a student, bashes bankers because it makes you feel better.

With regards to your love life, I think you are single but increasingly desperate to find that special someone you can settle down with. Your ideal woman is one who is opinionated and independent but not opinionated and independent to the point where control of a relationship is evenly balanced because I think you are a slight control freak who wants to know what is happening and you want to be able to be dominate things. You want a women who will give you an easy life but you are not sexist about it per se.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And BREAKING NEWS!

Nigel Farage MEP who is in fact 47 years old has been arrested and charged with stalking two members from the student forum, The Student Room. He was found to be following them for at least 2 weeks each, and hacking into their computers and emails. It wasn't until after he'd posted his thoughts on them in TSR's MHoC Bar, that suspicions arose... He has been sentenced to 6 months in prison, and a restraining order has been placed on him.

Naturally, he has also received what the Community Team call a 'black card' which gives him a lifetime ban from TSR.

RayApparently commented: "When he did his prediction for mobbsy91 it was a bit creepy, but then when he got the information about me bang on, I knew it was just too good to be true. I alerted the police and they found evidence which was enough to convict him. TSR's MHoC can once again be safe."

Community Manager for TSR, Captain Jack has also comments saying: "User's safety and security is of paramount concern and we will do our utmost to protect everyone using our site. We have been in contact with mobbsy91 and RayApparently, who want their real identity to remain a secret, but we will continue to support them through this troubling time."

Although a figure hasn't been settled on, it is believed that they will each be receiving a sizeable amount. However, this will not go far in repairing the irreparable damage that TSR user Nigel Farage has caused.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And BREAKING NEWS!

Nigel Farage MEP who is in fact 47 years old has been arrested and charged with stalking two members from the student forum, The Student Room. He was found to be following them for at least 2 weeks each, and hacking into their computers and emails. It wasn't until after he'd posted his thoughts on them in TSR's MHoC Bar, that suspicions arose... He has been sentenced to 6 months in prison, and a restraining order has been placed on him.

Naturally, he has also received what the Community Team call a 'black card' which gives him a lifetime ban from TSR.

RayApparently commented: "When he did his prediction for mobbsy91 it was a bit creepy, but then when he got the information about me bang on, I knew it was just too good to be true. I alerted the police and they found evidence which was enough to convict him. TSR's MHoC can once again be safe."

Community Manager for TSR, Captain Jack has also comments saying: "User's safety and security is of paramount concern and we will do our utmost to protect everyone using our site. We have been in contact with mobbsy91 and RayApparently, who want their real identity to remain a secret, but we will continue to support them through this troubling time."

Although a figure hasn't been settled on, it is believed that they will each be receiving a sizeable amount. However, this will not go far in repairing the irreparable damage that TSR user Nigel Farage has caused.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
prsom
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This was very fun to read, thanks.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
You remind me of someone I know. I think you are extroverted where you are excited at being around people or doing lots of different activities, you are the outgoing person in a social group who likes to think they can make friends with anyone. I get the impression you are a thinky person who likes to think things through instead of experiencing things, and you prefer to look towards the future rather than using history as a way to view things. However, I believe you are also a bit reserved in life liking to have everything under control. You do not like rushing to complete things, you like lists, and you want to have things decided; being laid back living each day as it comes creates anxiety for you.
A lot of this seems pretty accurate actually. I even like lists, I do however rush things on occasion and am rarely as organised as I'd like to be.

Politically, I would describe you as a modernist who holds traditional family views, not views which confine women to the kitchen I but I think you are a person who wants to eventually settle down and have two or three children. Despite beliefs in unity and seeing nationality as an artificial construction based on the area you were born, I believe you still see yourself as primarily British English, not other. I would put you down as a someone is somewhat materialistic not to the extent of living life based around money, but you do not follow the tide of people who would take happiness over wealth, as you are of the opinion wealth can bring happiness. Your support for Labour comes from you being an angry student who, being stretched as a student, bashes bankers because it makes you feel better.
The emboldened part is pretty much spot on.
Can't say I agree with that last sentence, then again you wouldn't expect me too.

regards to your love life, I think you are single but increasingly desperate to find that special someone you can settle down with. Your ideal woman is one who is opinionated and independent but not opinionated and independent to the point where control of a relationship is evenly balanced because I think you are a slight control freak who wants to know what is happening and you want to be able to be dominate things. You want a women who will give you an easy life but you are not sexist about it per se.
Increasingly desperate lol Besides that this might be true... which may not be a good thing...
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This was very fun to read, thanks.

A lot of this seems pretty accurate actually. I even like lists, I do however rush things on occasion and am rarely as organised as I'd like to be.

The emboldened part is pretty much spot on.
Can't say I agree with that last sentence, then again you wouldn't expect me too.

Increasingly desperate lol Besides that this might be true... which may not be a good thing...
See... it's actually creepy (and wrong) how good he is at this...
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Every election has analysis of social groups ect.. i've no links beyond the 2015 election though..

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/bl...n-really-voted

Yeah. Classical liberalism seems to be where most CF members i've met are at although there are a few non-libertarian things supported like strong defense (pure libertarians tend to want to reduce us practically to nukes).

Hmm.. the problem with those groups is that while it's liberal to support equal rights a lot of the things supported by the mainstream movement are pretty left like quotas or in the case of feminism, blatantly anti-male ideas. You also get a lot of people (including at least 3 MP's on here) who are militants. Unless there's a radical shift to the authoritarian left then i suspect most of the young right will continue to be silently supportive rather than out there protesting.
*slaps forehead* of course they do! I'll give that a read later.

A libertarianism adjusted for Britain then.

Its just a matter of changing times.

But know I doubt we'll see Tory protesting anytime soon.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If anyone wants to do predictions about me, other then being Nigel's brother (which I'm not) go ahead...
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And BREAKING NEWS!

UPDATE!

Following an appeal by Nigel Farage MEP's legal team the judge has revoked all sentences and issued a pardon after recognising the unique skill Nigel Farage MEP possesses. The court has sentenced Nigel Farage MEP to a £250,000 per year job with MI6 to accurately suss out Britain's enemies by reading their communications, Captain Jack has also had a change of heart evidenced by making Nigel Farage MEP the only moderator on TSR after realising my unique skills can instantly understand all forms of context removing complaints Mobbsy91 makes about the moderating on TSR.

RayApparently If my prediction was as accurate as you say I think I should enroll on a behavioral analysis degree course to further my skills; imagine what I could achieve with training.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
RayApparently If my prediction was as accurate as you say I think I should enroll on a behavioral analysis degree course to further my skills; imagine what I could achieve with training.
Out of interest, was there any other predictions you had of me other than what was said yesterday?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UPDATE!

Following an appeal by Nigel Farage MEP's legal team the judge has revoked all sentences and issued a pardon after recognising the unique skill Nigel Farage MEP possesses. The court has sentenced Nigel Farage MEP to a £250,000 per year job with MI6 to accurately suss out Britain's enemies by reading their communications, Captain Jack has also had a change of heart evidenced by making Nigel Farage MEP the only moderator on TSR after realising my unique skills can instantly understand all forms of context removing complaints Mobbsy91 makes about the moderating on TSR.

Haha, this is awesome! So should be in the MHoC Times...

Anyway, yeh you should enrol!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
See... it's actually creepy (and wrong) how good he is at this...
I don't know, I think I put my heart on my sleeve a lot here so to speak. But he's definitely a perceptive fellow.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You know what maybe you should haha. Have some rep.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads