Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I visited McDonald's today where I spectated a spoilt child being given more by her mother while I was sitting in my car eating. A fat teenage girl, no older than 16, had a full-blow, very loud, public argument with her mother in the car park because her mother ordered her the wrong ice cream, or her daughter changed her mind about what ice cream she wanted. The mother stupidly went back in McDonald's to see if the ice cream could be changed, it could not, so her daughter threw the ice cream out of the car on the floor. Being shocked at the girl's behaviour I decided it was time for Nigel to give a lesson in etiquette to tell them they were wrong.

I marched over to her, then proceeded to provide her mother with a lecture on parenting, how not give in to spoilt children, and what her mother should do next. That was not all, I gave her daughter a lecture on proper etiquette, why her behaviour was disgraceful, and why she should be ashamed of herself. Her mother acted embarrassed by intervention but I was relentless, I continued to lecture both in hope mother, and daughter would become better citizens. Near the end of the lecture her mother tried to claim he daughter was autistic, however, that made me more irate, I believe parents use autism a lot as an excuse for their child's bad behaviour, their bad parenting, and to hide their unsuitability to be parents; and I believe the child in the car was not autistic.
    I am concerned at the poor diet of both the honourable Member and those he encountered earlier today. I would hope members of this House would boycott McDonalds so called restaurants and not buy coffee at the tax avoiders Starbucks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I am concerned at the poor diet of both the honourable Member and those he encountered earlier today. I would hope members of this House would boycott McDonalds so called restaurants and not buy coffee at the tax avoiders Starbucks.
    Hear, hear. I wish more restrictions were placed on these fast food chains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Hear, hear. I wish more restrictions were placed on these fast food chains.
    But... free student cheeseburgers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    but meat
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What?!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    What?!
    You can choose between a free cheeseburger, mayo chicken or mcflurry if you're buying a meal and show them your student ID
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by The Financier)
    You can choose between a free cheeseburger, mayo chicken or mcflurry if you're buying a meal and show them your student ID
    This is a revelation. :O
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Is this when you buy something else or you just wander in there for free food?

And how do I not know this????
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

You have to buy a meal afaik

You've never known? I've had three years worth of free mcflurries now

ReputationRep:

Whenever you buy a meal... and goodness knows xD
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You have to buy a meal afaik

You've never known? I've had three years worth of free mcflurries now
    Whenever you buy a meal... and goodness knows xD
    Fgs I've been in there for a meal and paid for a McFlurry before!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I visited McDonald's today where I spectated a spoilt child being given more by her mother while I was sitting in my car eating. A fat teenage girl, no older than 16, had a full-blow, very loud, public argument with her mother in the car park because her mother ordered her the wrong ice cream, or her daughter changed her mind about what ice cream she wanted. The mother stupidly went back in McDonald's to see if the ice cream could be changed, it could not, so her daughter threw the ice cream out of the car on the floor. Being shocked at the girl's behaviour I decided it was time for Nigel to give a lesson in etiquette to tell them they were wrong.

I marched over to her, then proceeded to provide her mother with a lecture on parenting, how not give in to spoilt children, and what her mother should do next. That was not all, I gave her daughter a lecture on proper etiquette, why her behaviour was disgraceful, and why she should be ashamed of herself. Her mother acted embarrassed by intervention but I was relentless, I continued to lecture both in hope mother, and daughter would become better citizens. Near the end of the lecture her mother tried to claim he daughter was autistic, however, that made me more irate, I believe parents use autism a lot as an excuse for their child's bad behaviour, their bad parenting, and to hide their unsuitability to be parents; and I believe the child in the car was not autistic.
    Ok, I have a couple of things that I can't not say about this post.

Firstly, I am autistic and obviously I wasn't there so I can't make a full judgement, but from the behaviour you described I am pretty much certain the girl had Asperger's. I know well the strength, severity and stressfulness of the feeling that an aspie on a bad day gets when something does not go according to their preconceived plan, such as being given a different ice cream to the one they requested and it could very, very easily lead to a reaction such as throwing the ice cream out the window and having a shouty rant at the mother, particularly if they are in the middle of a meltdown - which this person could conceivably have been, perhaps her mother was taking her to McDonald's in an ill-conceived attempt to solve the problem - and they have lost control of their emotions.

Secondly, you, albeit totally unintentionally, behaved in completely the wrong way. If you have decided to intervene in something like this in this way - which, by the way, is the right thing to do if it isn't someone who's autistic - and it is mentioned that the person involved might be autistic, even if you have doubts, the thing to do is to stop, say that you understand and that you didn't realise, and apologise if necessary.
    Let's assume for the sake of argument that the girl in question was autistic. She is probably feeling like utter **** right now. She will likely feel very embarrassed about her behaviour in McDonald's - she could not help behaving in the way she did, and it's almost certainly not the way she wanted to react to the situation. If this behaviour has happened several times, she may well have developed a form of self-loathing or depression related to it. This is because general knowledge about autism and its traits and varieties, particularly Asperger's, is still so poor that when we are taught as children that things like throwing your ice cream on the floor because it was the wrong one are wrong, we are taught that anyone who does these things is automatically a bad person who is at fault, and the fact that some people might not be able to help it isn't usually even brought up. Many autistic/Asperger's people thus come to believe that there is somehow something wrong with them that they need to somehow fix and that it is somehow their fault that they find it difficult to function in a way which is in accordance with the norms of the rest of society. They come to the conclusion that their autism is wrong and unacceptable. If this girl was one of these people, by continuing to chew her and her mother out even after the possibility of autism was brought up, you exacerbated and reinforced this feeling - this is literally something that the girl will remember for the rest of her life, and not in the way that you intended it to be remembered. It's important to emphasise that I'm not criticising you or trying to paint you in a bad light - you're probably not autistic and you didn't know - but I would like to make the general point that this is not the way to behave towards someone with autism, and to perhaps provide the perspective of someone who actually is autistic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It solves the problem of deciding between nuggets or a burger ; just get both. It's a godsend.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    You'll probably be even more concerned that one of the first things I plan to do when I eventually move out of the countryside is to walk from my new home into the city centre, go into a McDonald's, get a meal and walk back home again with it, purely to experience the novelty of being able to do this without having to spend half the day away from home because of bus timings.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Ok, I have a couple of things that I can't not say about this post.

Firstly, I am autistic and obviously I wasn't there so I can't make a full judgement, but from the behaviour you described I am pretty much certain the girl had Asperger's. I know well the strength, severity and stressfulness of the feeling that an aspie on a bad day gets when something does not go according to their preconceived plan, such as being given a different ice cream to the one they requested and it could very, very easily lead to a reaction such as throwing the ice cream out the window and having a shouty rant at the mother, particularly if they are in the middle of a meltdown - which this person could conceivably have been, perhaps her mother was taking her to McDonald's in an ill-conceived attempt to solve the problem - and they have lost control of their emotions.

Secondly, you, albeit totally unintentionally, behaved in completely the wrong way. If you have decided to intervene in something like this in this way - which, by the way, is the right thing to do if it isn't someone who's autistic - and it is mentioned that the person involved might be autistic, even if you have doubts, the thing to do is to stop, say that you understand and that you didn't realise, and apologise if necessary.
    Let's assume for the sake of argument that the girl in question was autistic. She is probably feeling like utter **** right now. She will likely feel very embarrassed about her behaviour in McDonald's - she could not help behaving in the way she did, and it's almost certainly not the way she wanted to react to the situation. If this behaviour has happened several times, she may well have developed a form of self-loathing or depression related to it. This is because general knowledge about autism and its traits and varieties, particularly Asperger's, is still so poor that when we are taught as children that things like throwing your ice cream on the floor because it was the wrong one are wrong, we are taught that anyone who does these things is automatically a bad person who is at fault, and the fact that some people might not be able to help it isn't usually even brought up. Many autistic/Asperger's people thus come to believe that there is somehow something wrong with them that they need to somehow fix and that it is somehow their fault that they find it difficult to function in a way which is in accordance with the norms of the rest of society. They come to the conclusion that their autism is wrong and unacceptable. If this girl was one of these people, by continuing to chew her and her mother out even after the possibility of autism was brought up, you exacerbated and reinforced this feeling - this is literally something that the girl will remember for the rest of her life, and not in the way that you intended it to be remembered. It's important to emphasise that I'm not criticising you or trying to paint you in a bad light - you're probably not autistic and you didn't know - but I would like to make the general point that this is not the way to behave towards someone with autism, and to perhaps provide the perspective of someone who actually is autistic.
    I would like to feel sympathy but I do not, if the girl remembers being criticised for her behaviour for the rest of her life that is a good outcome, if the girl feels ashamed of herself that is a good thing because she should be ashamed of her behaviour, and if she feels at fault for having autism that is not a bad things because she is at fault with her mother. Society has reached a point where the widespread acceptance of autism means parents blame all bad behaviour in autistic children on the child having autism, this is wrong; autistic children can be naughty. The mother should have ignored her daughter's demands, should have ignored her daughter's screams, and should have driven her daughter home to be punished.

ReputationRep:
    Free Mcdonald's food if you're a student? WHy didn't I know this?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Firstly, I am autistic and obviously I wasn't there so I can't make a full judgement, but from the behaviour you described I am pretty much certain the girl had Asperger's.
    What are you, artistic?!

You talk nonsense, most people use it as an excuse, just as they did use ADHD as an excuse when it was cool and exculpatory to have ADHD, or for example OCD when someone wanted to look special. :rolleyes:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    What are you, artistic?!

You talk nonsense, most people use it as an excuse, just as they did use ADHD as an excuse when it was cool and exculpatory to have ADHD, or for example OCD when someone wanted to look special. :rolleyes:

You don't think OCD is real?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    You don't think OCD is real?
    Most people who claim they have OCD don't have it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Most people who claim they have OCD don't have it.
    Is there anything to substantiate that?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.