The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Weekends have kinda been written off for the next few weeks thanks to the six nations :awesome:

Orthopaedics and rugby... what kind of female are you? :p:
Reply 9021
Just found out that after ICE (A 2 week hospital placement starting tmrw), I will have to hand in 3 write-ups. Why Sheffield, why!?!?! :cry:
How the **** did this get published?

http://interesjournals.org/JMMS/Pdf/2010/December%20Special%20issues/prasad%20and%20Hegde.pdf

"These facts make Drosophila melanogaster particularly study of the genetics of disease, degeneration, and aging processes, since results should yield insights into what to seek in humans"

Did they not proof-read it before submitting it? The entire review is scatty.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
x

Spotters are a bit of a hit and miss really. It's all about what pictures come up :p:

But yeah don't worry about the spotter from the ICA, it's not really worth much anyways, but you do need to think about the end of year one where you do need to pass it...

You should be able to go through the spotter exam you just did on blackboard I believe, so just see where things may have gone wrong. It's nothing to get down about, just keep going :h:
Aw ****, so apparently I have to submit my slides for my 10 minute presentation about Malaria treatment on Wednesday tomorrow and I haven't even started.

Good job it's only 10 minutes and is only to a quarter of the year. Having done a 10 minute presentation on memory last week I think I've realised that's basically no time at all.
Everyone should publish Nature articles - <5 pages, no waffle and guranteed to be important. Would make life much easier.
had a horrid week. had the MILE on thursday (9am til midnight - exam thing based on small pbl scenario) and a life history project to write up for tomorrow. All in all done in. :/
Original post by Wangers
Everyone should publish Nature articles - <5 pages, no waffle and guranteed to be important. Would make life much easier.

Guaranteed to appear important to laypeople and clinicians. There's a difference. More likely to be contradicted than other journals which do workhouse research; less flashy, less bangs and whistles, but less likely to be overdramatized and hyped to the extent that it's just plain wrong. http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0050201
3 essays due this week!!
Original post by areyouthere?

3 essays due this week!!

THIS WEEK? :lolwut:
3 essays due this week!!

standard week
I did 3 throughout the span of last November. Bad times.

Dissertation progress: 54 words. Yay. Another 9946 to go.

(It's a ****ing good opener though!)
Ha! I have lost count of the number of essays I have had to complete for this BSc. Granted about 30/40% of them have been reflections on my teaching experiences and teaching observations this year. I have 4 more essays to start and hand in by the end of this month, on top of 3 or so teaching sessions to write up. Essay galore. This probably should be a BA rather than BSc tbh.

That said, the good thing is I have my last (essay based) exam for the year in 12 days time! Then its dissertation time. Plan is to finish my data collection asap so I can head off on holiday to write it up. Imagine typing away on the sunny seaside in the middle of March/April when everyone else would have started their revision for their end of year exams! :p: Bliss.
Why can't news articles link papers as references? Sick to death of Googling, finding vague news articles then spending 20 minutes finding their reference so I can read it myself.
Original post by RollerBall
Why can't news articles link papers as references? Sick to death of Googling, finding vague news articles then spending 20 minutes finding their reference so I can read it myself.

Because that would be good scientific journalism! and who wants that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Medicine Man
Ha! I have lost count of the number of essays I have had to complete for this BSc. Granted about 30/40% of them have been reflections on my teaching experiences and teaching observations this year. I have 4 more essays to start and hand in by the end of this month, on top of 3 or so teaching sessions to write up. Essay galore. This probably should be a BA rather than BSc tbh.

That said, the good thing is I have my last (essay based) exam for the year in 12 days time! Then its dissertation time. Plan is to finish my data collection asap so I can head off on holiday to write it up. Imagine typing away on the sunny seaside in the middle of March/April when everyone else would have started their revision for their end of year exams! :p: Bliss.

:hmpf: Some of us have to write up their dissertations in April and revise for exams...
:hmpf: Some of us have to write up their dissertations in April and revise for exams...

:colone:

Should have done Med Ed then shouldn't you! :p: You would have had a pretty intense first term and a half, but the long summer holiday is gooooodddd!! :teeth:
Reply 9037

mmm, bad times.. :frown:
I'm in A&E tomorrow to find a few patient cases. I have no idea what the **** im doing when it comes to usual etiquette. A&E is going to be a lot different from what I'm used to and we've essentially been let loose without any supervision. Any tips and/or heads up? I really don't want to get in the way of the team managing them.

My consultant is on leave so I'm guessing I just rock up and find out who his reg is and ask if I can examine some of his patients if appropriate. I assume I'll need a chaperone if I'm doing a physical exam? Is this a normally done thing?
(edited 12 years ago)

I sometimes wish I'd done the traditional iBSc with exams, because looking at criteria to get a 1st class Hons and we need to make a significant contribution to the field and show innovation as ours is a full year of research.

What does that even mean?!

I'm beginning to develop a hate/love relationship with research and right now I'm towards the hate side of the spectrum.

All the best with exams for those that have them, I feel for you guys!

Also this might help for those trying to analyse papers :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending