Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    can you teach me about opera
    I'm not the right guy for this. Look, if I met a posh girl in the choir of King's College, Cambridge, I could probably sustain about 2-5 minutes talking about it pretending I knew my ****, but after that I'd be out of ideas and moving the conversation swiftly along. Perhaps Zurich is more of an expert than I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    I'm not the right guy for this. Look, if I met a posh girl in the choir of King's College, Cambridge, I could probably sustain about 2-5 minutes talking about it pretending I knew my ****, but after that I'd be out of ideas and moving the conversation swiftly along. Perhaps Zurich is more of an expert than I?
    :lol:

PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Of course. I mean people like Mickey Pearce and Trigger could never be both, but I'm sold on the fact that you can and indeed are.

Btw, have you been to an opera? Many of the people there aren't smart at all. A lot of them it is just about yuppie culture. They are there for the image. They'll sit in the front row with their Hugo Boss suits and fancy frocks and handbags pretending to know their Richard Wagner from their Giuseppe Verdi's, but it's all just bollucks.
    No Ive never been to the Opera, or even the theatre for that matter. Really doesn't appeal to me at all and not sure it ever would. Obviously loads of people are genuinely into it and good luck to them, just never felt the need to try and get some status from that kind of quasi-intellectual stuff.

People do it in a patronising way as well. It's all about the ceremony and the exclusion for some people. Like when you go to a nice restaurant and the staff are basically told to be extremely submissive and sycophantic, I dont understand why some people feel the need to be in that environment.

I dont like posh people very much though tbh, only ever met a few that were alight. Most are *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Know people who got 2 year contracts and then got ****canned afterwards, their immediate career prospects arent exactly brilliant now because no matter how good you are, few places want a reject who obviously is looking for the next best option.
    I know people that have done 2-4 years in IB and then walked into big 4 and consultancy. Depends what you want in life but I don't think that's a bad strategy.

ReputationRep:
    x
    what. did not know that. I thought once you got on a IB grad scheme, bar a phenomenal **** up, you were pretty much set. put in 10 years of hard work and 7 figures easy. put in 10 years of just turning up and still 6 figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesR12)
    I know people that have done 2-4 years in IB and then walked into big 4 and consultancy. Depends what you want in life but I don't think that's a bad strategy.
    No dont get me wrong that's true but what I mean is that alot of people think if you walk in the door of an IB that it's inevitable that down the line you'll be an MD making £5m a year. Most will end up making a good living somewhere else. Big4 is definitely a more stable and long term career though.

It's like being in the youth team at a PL football club. For every Fabregas or Wilshere, there are 20 others who end up at Bristol City.

ReputationRep:
    what. did not know that. I thought once you got on a IB grad scheme, bar a phenomenal **** up, you were pretty much set. put in 10 years of hard work and 7 figures easy. put in 10 years of just turning up and still 6 figures.
    Definitely not true, not even close. Regular occurrence is for thousands of job cuts when certain areas go into decline. And they're always obsessed with salary expenses, they'll cull it down if it starts eating up too much of revenue. It's really ruthless like that.

And in certain areas of IB, what you do as a grad is definitely not rocket science. Certain jobs paying £70k/year involve nothing more complicated than basic excel manipulation, double checking figures and preparing presentations. Hours are long and the stress is unreal but why would they keep you on at 25/26 when they can get an eager 21 year old to do the same for less? There's a huge churn.

ReputationRep:
    No dont get me wrong that's true but what I mean is that alot of people think if you walk in the door of an IB that it's inevitable that down the line you'll be an MD making £5m a year. Most will end up making a good living somewhere else. Big4 is definitely a more stable and long term career though.

It's like being in the youth team at a PL football club. For every Fabregas or Wilshere, there are 20 others who end up at Bristol City.
    Yeah. Doing your shift as a youth player at the big club, realising you're not good enough, getting moved on. Nothing wrong with being the Frazier Campbell of the job market.

Big 4 is a good life.

ReputationRep:
    No Ive never been to the Opera, or even the theatre for that matter. Really doesn't appeal to me at all and not sure it ever would. Obviously loads of people are genuinely into it and good luck to them, just never felt the need to try and get some status from that kind of quasi-intellectual stuff.

People do it in a patronising way as well. It's all about the ceremony and the exclusion for some people. Like when you go to a nice restaurant and the staff are basically told to be extremely submissive and sycophantic, I dont understand why some people feel the need to be in that environment.

I dont like posh people very much though tbh, only ever met a few that were alight. Most are *****.
    Yeah I went to a few operas and theatres when I was younger. Tbh it's just a posh white thing it you don't typical ethnic east londoners going to the opera at all.

I'd take going to a concert or a talent show any day than the theatre and opera.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Doing your shift as a youth player at the big club, realising you're not good enough, getting moved on. Nothing wrong with being the Frazier Campbell of the job market.

Big 4 is a good life.
    Yeah very very nice people at the Big4 too. Obviously very smart people as well but normal people as well.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not true, not even close. Regular occurrence is for thousands of job cuts when certain areas go into decline. It's really ruthless like that.

And in certain areas of IB, what you do as a grad is definitely not rocket science. Certain jobs paying £70k/year involve nothing more complicated than basic excel manipulation, double checking figures and preparing presentations. Hours are long and the stress is unreal but why would they keep you on at 25/26 when they can get an eager 21 year old to do the same for less? There's a huge churn.
    yeah I've always thought this was a problem of the education system.

bar vocations such as medicine or engineering, what's taught at university will have little applicability to the real life working world; where you will be taught to do your job regardless of whether you get a 62 in macroeconomics or a 77.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Yeah I went to a few operas and theatres when I was younger. Tbh it's just a posh white thing it you don't typical ethnic east londoners going to the opera at all.

I'd take going to a concert or a talent show any day than the theatre and opera.
    Friday night at Fabric and Saturday at the Arsenal every time mate!

I like going to museums tbf, especially involving history. That's genuinely interesting and accessible imo.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with being the Frazier Campbell of the job market.
    Biggest ****ing fraud player ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Friday night at Fabric
    See you there x

but rt Fabric is tha 1

god club

ReputationRep:
    x
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...estment-banker
    Read another thing on the guardian about this but forget this lifestyle tbh sounds like stress. Complete disregard of human values in IB, no wonder these bankers messed up the country so badly.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I've always thought this was a problem of the education system.

bar vocations such as medicine or engineering, what's taught at university will have little applicability to the real life working world; where you will be taught to do your job regardless of whether you get a 62 in macroeconomics or a 77.
    Well it's all one big hurdle they want to see you can jump end of the day. I studied alot of macroeconomics that was complete bull**** tbh and that Ill never see again. Nothing more than intellectual masturbation. I changed to Maths &Econ in 2nd year so that at least Id know how to integrate a few things that might be useful down the line :laugh:

The education system is fundamentally flawed though in that respect. Much prefer the German system where you can do apprenticeships and pick it up on the job at 18. There are thousands of people working in great jobs at BMW, Allianz etc who did that, it works for everybody.

ReputationRep:
    Friday night at Fabric and Saturday at the Arsenal every time mate!

I like going to museums tbf, especially involving history. That's genuinely interesting and accessible imo.
    LOOOOL I've possibly seen you.

Followed by Tinseltown, yeah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...estment-banker
    Read another thing on the guardian about this but forget this lifestyle tbh sounds like stress. Complete disregard of human values in IB, no wonder these bankers messed up the country so badly.
    There was a lot of truth in that series. You do get an awful lot of psychopaths in IB, the attraction is obvious for them, and 100% people will walk all over you given the chance. I suspect rates of depression are higher in that profession than among builders tbh.

Some 25 year old threw himself off a restaurant roof in Bank in 2010 because he thought he was getting the sack. What was going on in his head?

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOL I've possibly seen you.

Not a big eater at that time but I'll chill for a bit.

There is a pub called 'the Hope' in Farringdon, otherwise known as the ''No Hope'', that opens for the market traders at 6am, not going to pretend I havent ended up in there off my tits on a few occasions

ReputationRep:
    Every ****ing Friday night

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.