Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Yeah but what cover did we have for him last season realistically?

It's clear Milner is becoming a LB option because he probably wouldn't get in to our midfield now, therefore I expect him to start ahead of Moreno in general now.

P.S: gonna go for a bit of AFC TV before bed - always good for laughs after they lose a game
    Well if your cover this season is Milner - we had him in the squad last season too? This is Klopp's second transfer window to try and address the LB position and we still haven't signed anyone. Those who we have been linked to this summer have generally been youngsters.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool have been rebuilding … so why is Alberto Moreno still at left-back?

Liverpool started their season in triumphant fashion on Sunday with a 4-3 win at the Emirates that included two amazing goals from Philippe Coutinho (if we think he meant to score the second off his shin), a stunning strike from Sadio Mané and some, shall we say, inconsistent defending by the left-back Alberto Moreno.

Considering Moreno had an uneven end to last season – including a horror show against Sevilla in the Europa League final – it begs the question: why he is still Liverpool’s first-choice left-back? Jürgen Klopp has spent roughly £70m on seven new signings but not a single full-back among them (Wijnaldum, Mané, Loris Karius, Alex Manninger, Ragnar Klavan, Joël Matip and Marko Grujic). In addition, Jon Flanagan (on loan) and Brad Smith (sold) have left the club in the summer.

It seems an odd strategy when there seems to be an obvious gap to fill, or at least it would have made sense to provide some competition for the Spaniard. True, Klopp may see James Milner as a future left-back and the former England international played there during pre-season but he is not the quickest and he too is prone to the odd rash challenge.

There is also the talented but injured Joe Gomez in the squad and Klavan has played at left-back before. It is also true that Liverpool tried – and failed – to sign the Leicester reserve left-back Ben Chilwell and that Klopp still has time to sign a new defender before the transfer window closes. However, when it came down to it at Arsenal, Moreno lined up and gave away a penalty in the first half with a very rash challenge before losing Theo Walcott who went on to score.

On Sky, the commentators all had a go at the Spaniard. “You might as well start a goal down with Moreno at left-back,” said Gary Neville, who should know a thing or two about going a goal down from his spell in charge of Valencia, while Graeme Souness added: “He’s a winger playing left-back – he doesn’t sense danger early enough.”

There were other players to blame as well – Adam Lallana giving away the ball in midfield unnecessarily when Moreno had started his run forward – and it is true that the Spaniard is good going forward, but teams are likely to target him throughout the season.

Arsène Wenger says Arsenal were not ready on a physical level for Liverpool
    Read more
    Liverpool are far from the only team to have started the season with what would appear an obvious weakness in their squad. Arsenal, as always, seem short up front and in central defence yet with Arsène Wenger’s stubbornness seemingly increasing by the year, one would suspect that he will attempt to go through the season with the players currently available to him.

It was also interesting to see Manchester City’s tactics against Sunderland with Pep Guardiola asking his full-backs to help out in midfield whenever necessary. Maybe that is what happens when you have had Philipp Lahm in your squad for the past three years. Either way it does not seem that Gaël Clichy and Bacary Sagna would be the most obvious choices to perform those duties, yet City have signed players for other areas of the team.

Other teams have strengthened where appropriate, it would seem, with Chelsea bringing energy to their midfield in N’Golo Kanté and speed up front with Michy Batshuayi and Manchester United adding in every area – Eric Bailly in defence, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Paul Pogba in midfield and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in attack.

That, of course, does not mean either of those teams will win the title. One game into the season is far too early to make any calls on which teams will do well – Aston Villa won their first game of last season, at Bournemouth after a majestic Rudy Gestede header for example – and who will not.

And, who knows, Moreno may be able to cut out the mistakes in his game, under the tutelage of Klopp and his coaching staff, and have a storming season. It seems unlikely after a display of such inconsistency as the one on Sunday but stranger things have happened. Much stranger.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...k-jurgen-klopp

Would love to know what Klopp/his team are thinking? I can't think of one person who thinks we don't need a LB..

ReputationRep:
    Everton sign midfielder from Crystal Palace for £25m.

Now for Crystal Palace to take Benteke off us for £32.5mil?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Everton sign midfielder from Crystal Palace for £25m.

Now for Crystal Palace to take Benteke off us for £32.5mil?!?
    Absolutely no doubt it'll happen.

It's either Benteke or relegation tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

I'm amazed they've left it so long..

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed they've left it so long..
    Scenes when we don't even lose money on Benteke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Scenes when we don't even lose money on Benteke
    If it was Aston Villa selling this summer, Benteke would've sold for over 40mil.. transfer market has gone nuts.

ReputationRep:
    Rumours were suggesting Palace were looking at Sissoko from Newcastle with that money.

Would be inclined to wait you guys out and ask for a loan deal with Benteke tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

To be fair Benteke is not the only striker in the world, for £30m+ even in today's market you can compete for some decent options (by Palace's standards).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Rumours were suggesting Palace were looking at Sissoko from Newcastle with that money.

Would be inclined to wait you guys out and ask for a loan deal with Benteke tbh.
    I thought Sissoko was looking for a move to Real Madrid?

I imagine Klopp would just keep Benteke if we got a pisstake offer.

(Original post by mhsc)
    To be fair Benteke is not the only striker in the world, for £30m+ even in today's market you can compete for some decent options (by Palace's standards).
    Really? Most clubs seem to be struggling for strikers. A lot of others won't be willing to sell so late in the window with only less than 2 weeks to find a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham and Leicester all dropping points this weekend, all the while we win one of the hardest games of the season
    Could barely ask for a better start tbh...

Not to mention Arsenal playing Leicester in the next fixture - we could go 6 points clear of one or (preferably) 5 points clear of both!

Inb4 loss to Burnley...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)

No way we'll let him go out on loan - people are assuming Benteke is a terrible player when he really isn't.

Hard to judge him for us last season because he couldn't be a worse fit for our style, however he scores some spectacular goals out of nothing and could be absolutely amazing for Palace.
    I don't think £32.5m is bad for them when you consider the price that players are going for in this league,

Benteke is useless...can't believe klopp is keeping moreno. Still buzzing after yesterday, what a win! But hopefully henderson can keep up the good work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    No way we'll let him go out on loan - people are assuming Benteke is a terrible player when he really isn't.
    Not saying he's a terrible player but if no one buys him, you're more likely to get a good sale after a season of banging goals than sitting on your bench. It will be two season since people saw him do anything of note if he stays. Loan move would probably be cheaper than paying his wages too. You've had all summer to shift him, if I was Palace I'd be angling for a try before you buy.

I thought Sissoko was looking for a move to Real Madrid?
    Bizarre from them if those rumours are true. A lot of money for what he brings.

ReputationRep:
    Mane's goal on Sunday was superb. Was stood at the end where he scored, great finish. As top binnish as top bins can be. A lot of people scoffed at his price tag but in today's market you'll rarely buy any player for what he's actually worth. When you consider Everton have just spunked £30m on Bolasie who is a bigger speed merchant than Usain Bolt, puts it into some perspective.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    We've rejected a £30mil bid for Benteke from Palace....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    And now it begins...

Why is everybody trying to get him for £30m when we've clearly stated a price of £32.5m?
    I know it's only a few million difference but I think it's the notion of not making a loss on him that we wish to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    And now it begins...

Why is everybody trying to get him for £30m when we've clearly stated a price of £32.5m?
    I know it's only a few million difference but I think it's the notion of not making a loss on him that we wish to achieve.
    Liverpool have rejected an offer worth £30m from Crystal Palace for striker Christian Benteke.

The bid of £23m up front plus £7m in add-ons follows a previous offer of £25m, which was turned down.

Benteke, 25, has fallen out of favour at Liverpool since boss Jurgen Klopp took over last October, starting only eight league games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37094111

Not really £30mil if almost a quarter of it is in add-ons? We just need someone else to come in for a bidding war to get it over the line at £32.5mil..

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Lloris will be injured for the game against us - that's big.

Vorm is a good sub keeper for them but Lloris is another level and that could make the difference...

I think pardew must be smoking something...stupid offer.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.