Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)

You talk nonsense
    Congratulations! You've won the 'hypocritical post of the day' award.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Is there anything to substantiate that?
    Experience, being familiar with proper cases of OCD, and the widespread motivation to claim one has OCD in order to appear more interesting as a result of its fairly recent popularity in popular culture. I believe it may be the result of the ‘paradigm shift’ that nerds are cool but at the same time, they have to be asocial or otherwise socially dysfunctional. If I had a penny for every person suggesting he's similar to Sheldon Cooper, a character from a silly American series about a group of awkward ‘scientists’, and changing his behaviour to reflect that (e.g. pretend to not understand sarcasm, etc.), I could probably buy a new computer. :laugh:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hooray, despite the labour whip I don't need to go to paddyland to hunt now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Experience, being familiar with proper cases of OCD, and the widespread motivation to claim one has OCD in order to appear more interesting as a result of its fairly recent popularity in popular culture. I believe it may be the result of the ‘paradigm shift’ that nerds are cool but at the same time, they have to be asocial or otherwise socially dysfunctional. If I had a penny for every person suggesting he's similar to Sheldon Cooper, a character from a silly American series about a group of awkward ‘scientists’, and changing his behaviour to reflect that (e.g. pretend to not understand sarcasm, etc.), I could probably buy a new computer. :laugh:
    Yeah, I do know people like that. Someone once compared me to Sheldon Cooper and I took it as the insult that it was.

But I think when a lot of people talk about 'their OCD' they don't mean to say they actually have OCD - they just mean they have a bunch of pet peeves or whatever.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    You'll probably be even more concerned that one of the first things I plan to do when I eventually move out of the countryside is to walk from my new home into the city centre, go into a McDonald's, get a meal and walk back home again with it, purely to experience the novelty of being able to do this without having to spend half the day away from home because of bus timings.
    It is a nice feeling for the first time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If the Hunting Repeal Act was a vote in real life I likely would have abstained, however, I find happiness knowing I helped pass a bill that makes a lot of left-wing idealists in the MHoC angry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    If the Hunting Repeal Act was a vote in real life I likely would have abstained, however, I find happiness knowing I helped pass a bill that makes a lot of left-wing idealists in the MHoC angry.
    You'll be delighted to know that it's made this left-wing idealist pleasently surprised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I would like to feel sympathy but I do not, if the girl remembers being criticised for her behaviour for the rest of her life that is a good outcome, if the girl feels ashamed of herself that is a good thing because she should be ashamed of her behaviour, and if she feels at fault for having autism that is not a bad things because she is at fault with her mother. Society has reached a point where the widespread acceptance of autism means parents blame all bad behaviour in autistic children on the child having autism, this is wrong; autistic children can be naughty. The mother should have ignored her daughter's demands, should have ignored her daughter's screams, and should have driven her daughter home to be punished.
    Why is it 'not a bad thing' that she should feel at fault for something that ISN'T HER FAULT AND THAT SHE CAN'T FIX?

Of course autistic children can be naughty. But naughty behaviour is deliberate. Behaviour caused by autism, or rather failure to stop behaviour caused by autism, is not necessarily deliberate and therefore not necessarily naughty.

What are you, artistic?!

You talk nonsense, most people use it as an excuse, just as they did use ADHD as an excuse when it was cool and exculpatory to have ADHD, or for example OCD when someone wanted to look special. :rolleyes:
    I wish I was talking nonsense.

Yes, people use it as an excuse. But that's an argument for an initiative to be started to increase the amount that the general, non-autistic public know about the symptoms of the various different types of autism, because that would a) stop excuses from working and b) make it clearer to people that most people who think autism is trivial enough to be made an excuse out of are not, in reality, autistic.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So, TitanCream, could you possibly remind me who about a week ago was saying I should withdraw my PMB for lack of support?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    So, TitanCream, could you possibly remind me who about a week ago was saying I should withdraw my PMB for lack of support?
    You are like an ex who won't give uo. I was wrong but clearly it was no clear victory for you. Have some dignity in victory gosh, you come off as incredibly... Actually I'm not bothering. Congratulations nevertheless.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    You are like an ex who won't give uo. I was wrong but clearly it was no clear victory for you. Have some dignity in victory gosh, you come off as incredibly... Actually I'm not bothering. Congratulations nevertheless.
    You we're the one with a smug look arrogantly pronouncing annihilation without looking at the history

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Congratulations.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Congratulations.
    And the fight will likely start all over again in a year or two unless May and Leadsom finally deliver the manifesto commitment and win

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    And the fight will likely start all over again in a year or two unless May and Leadsom finally deliver the manifesto commitment and win

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe they will, I think we will see it repealed before Easter next year.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    I believe they will, I think we will see it repealed before Easter next year.
    Until EVEL is done properly it's unlikely. The SNP will be hypocrites and vote against, and unless there are mass opposition absences there will be enough dissident "Tories" to block it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You we're the one with a smug look arrogantly pronouncing annihilation without looking at the history

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Were*. Please, learn basic skills before you carry on about something that has finished and no longer matters....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 40% (+10)
    LAB: 29% (-4)
    UKIP: 12% (-8)
    LDEM: 9% (+3)
    GRN: 3% (-)
    (via YouGov / 17-18/07)

And if there was a GE Now

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/swi...=12&LD=9&GRN=3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Westminster voting intention:
    CON: 40% (+10)
    LAB: 29% (-4)
    UKIP: 12% (-8)
    LDEM: 9% (+3)
    GRN: 3% (-)
    (via YouGov / 17-18/07)

And if there was a GE Now

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/swi...=12&LD=9&GRN=3
    Wow, didn't know the Liberal Democrats still existed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    Wow, didn't know the Liberal Democrats still existed.
    They are attracting a lot of votes because of their stance on the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    They are attracting a lot of votes because of their stance on the EU.
    Like the Lib Dems are going to keep Britain in Europe.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.