Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Yeh it's not like all the sides above you (bar Chelsea) have had their sides decimated by injury or anything.
    chelsea and city have more than enough squad depth and quality around the rest of the team to deal with injury from a few players, even if they are at the level of aguero.
    arsenal and united granted have had injury, however united's defence was/is terrible regardless of which defenders are injured and Sanchez FC only need alexis fit to win most of their games.

spurs haven't had any setbacks; they've merely been insanely lucky.
    not sure about west ham but i dont think they had too many either.

the difference is that we lost our best player.
    we don't have the squad depth or player quality to cope with losing our best player, especially when we have nobody anywhere near his level to fill in for him.
    if we lost a few defenders and midfielders, it wouldn't affect us that much.
    but we lost our star striker; the guy that puts the ball in the back of the net and wins us games.
    and it isn't like we lost him for a few weeks - he has been out for virtually the entire season so far.

i hope you understand the difference i'm pointing out, or should i just expect a characteristically poor dig at liverpool in response?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Might be good enough for Arsenal but not for us. We finished 2nd last season so we should be looking to finish top 4 this season.

We're only 5 points off Man Utd for 4th place. Still 16 games to go in the season.
    I'm just keeping my expectations low to not be too dissappointed come end of season

I would love to be proved wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level sufferer)
    Everyone here thinks Sturridge coming back will suddenly turn us into Real Madrid. He's a class player but it's not gonna come suddenly in fact we don't even know how well he'll play without Suarez. all I'm saying is don't get too excited too early about a player whose been injured for like 3 months

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He has scored goals without Suarez, look at the end of Rodgers first season and beginning of last season when Suarez was banned. He was doing fine and basically carried Liverpool. Team seems to be functioning without him so having him back is a big plus. Sturridge has been out for long periods before and bounced back, it won't take too long till he's sharp again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level sufferer)
    Everyone here thinks Sturridge coming back will suddenly turn us into Real Madrid. He's a class player but it's not gonna come suddenly in fact we don't even know how well he'll play without Suarez. all I'm saying is don't get too excited too early about a player whose been injured for like 3 months

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sturridge doesn't need Suarez to play well. Suarez gave us creativity and flair but Sturridge just gives you goals. He scores tap ins, curlers from outside the back, beating the offside trap, with his head etc. If he can get 12-18 months without injuries then everyone will see what a complete striker he is.

(Original post by sr90)
    Not really a sufficient argument when Liverpool just spent £120m to provide this 'squad depth' you speak of.
    Rodgers' mistake was that he tried to change too much at once. I always think you can integrate one (maybe two if you're lucky) into your first XI from day 1 but when you add more to that, it becomes harder and harder. We're now seeing the new signings starting to gel with the rest of the squad but it's basically taken us 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    chelsea and city have more than enough squad depth and quality around the rest of the team to deal with injury from a few players, even if they are at the level of aguero.
    arsenal and united granted have had injury, however united's defence was/is terrible regardless of which defenders are injured and Sanchez FC only need alexis fit to win most of their games.

spurs haven't had any setbacks; they've merely been insanely lucky.
    not sure about west ham but i dont think they had too many either.

the difference is that we lost our best player.
    we don't have the squad depth or player quality to cope with losing our best player, especially when we have nobody anywhere near his level to fill in for him.
    if we lost a few defenders and midfielders, it wouldn't affect us that much.
    but we lost our star striker; the guy that puts the ball in the back of the net and wins us games.
    and it isn't like we lost him for a few weeks - he has been out for virtually the entire season so far.

i hope you understand the difference i'm pointing out, or should i just expect a characteristically poor dig at liverpool in response?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Instead of looking at it as incredibly bad luck should you not be blaming Rodgers in failing to adequately replace Suarez?

Sturridge is known for picking up injuries throughout a season. For Rodgers to go out and sign Ricky Lambert and Balotelli to accommodate for the loss of Suarez and Sturridge's injuries is wishful thinking on his part. No matter which way you look at it, Balotelli was a terrible signing. He lacks every aspect of what Rodgers needed in a striker during the summer, even admitting bringing him in was a risk.

Put it this way, Wenger has been branded a fool by everyone this season because of his failure to reinforce our defence. We have lost Koscielny and Debuchy, as well as a number of other key players for most of the season, just like Liverpool have with Sturridge, and yet Wenger's failures in the transfer market have been headlining all season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Pink)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Instead of looking at it as incredibly bad luck should you not be blaming Rodgers in failing to adequately replace Suarez?

Sturridge is known for picking up injuries throughout a season. For Rodgers to go out and sign Ricky Lambert and Balotelli to accommodate for the loss of Suarez and Sturridge's injuries is wishful thinking on his part. No matter which way you look at it, Balotelli was a terrible signing. He lacks every aspect of what Rodgers needed in a striker during the summer, even admitting bringing him in was a risk.

Put it this way, Wenger has been branded a fool by everyone this season because of his failure to reinforce our defence. We have lost Koscielny and Debuchy, as well as a number of other key players for most of the season, just like Liverpool have with Sturridge, and yet Wenger's failures in the transfer market have been headlining all season.
    I don't think anyone would have expected him to miss half a season though. But sometimes that is the rub of the green.

We obviously had Balotelli, Lambert and Borini as backup. Let's not forget that Rodgers tried to sign Sanchez which would've been the perfect signing who could play with Sturridge or as his replacement.

There wasn't that many options on strikers in the summer. I think the most disappointing thing is that he didn't try and sign a like-for-like with Sturridge. It's obvious how key he is for us and how we can set up the rest of the team behind him. Yet we bought two strikers who don't have his mobility which led to Sterling playing up front and now he's finally realised Borini can work in some respect.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone would have expected him to miss half a season though. But sometimes that is the rub of the green.

We obviously had Balotelli, Lambert and Borini as backup. Let's not forget that Rodgers tried to sign Sanchez which would've been the perfect signing who could play with Sturridge or as his replacement.

There wasn't that many options on strikers in the summer. I think the most disappointing thing is that he didn't try and sign a like-for-like with Sturridge. It's obvious how key he is for us and how we can set up the rest of the team behind him. Yet we bought two strikers who don't have his mobility which led to Sterling playing up front and now he's finally realised Borini can work in some respect.
    It's incredibly frustrating how it took half a season for Rodgers to realise what was wrong when it only took Liverpool fans a month or two into the season. He probably knew what was wrong earlier on but was just incredibly stubborn to change things. Tbf he did try and sign Remy who was a like for like but that failed.

The new signings struggled to adapt and there were too many but aside from the transfers the main **** up was trying to fit square pegs into round holes (Balotelli and Gerrard) as well as Mignolet and Lovren having a terrible run in an already **** defence. Borini up front seems to be a round peg in a round hole, only the peg is not up to standard but still fits regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    (Original post by sr90)
    Not really a sufficient argument when Liverpool just spent £120m to provide this 'squad depth' you speak of.
    nailed it.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool will not make top 4 I can guarantee that!

Top 4:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Arsenal

Liverpool fans are deluded

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Pink)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

i see it both ways.
    rodgers was foolish not to buy either an attacking midfielder or striker; star players like isco or benzema - two examples that i feel we could have signed had we shelled out around 40m. (srs)
    but how can you not say your best player being out for half a season isn't bad luck (even if he is injury prone)?

who is Ricky Lambert?
    it's Rickie mate, get it right :cool:

you say it as if i have at any point defended rodgers and the club for the consistently poor level of transfer decisions and negotiations that we so frequently partake in.
    do you know how it feels to know that your club constantly overpay for players based seemingly on form alone?
    we wasted so much money; money that we won't get back if we fail to make top 4 this season.

as a fan, the fact that we paid stupid amounts of money for lallana and lovren, along with sturridge being out for half a season is kind of frustrating.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There wasn't that many options on strikers in the summer.
    I agree with a lot you say, Zerf - but I disagree here.

We could have thrown money at Bony or Remy in hindsight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I agree with a lot you say, Zerf - but I disagree here.

We could have thrown money at Bony or Remy in hindsight.
    Remy was rejected due to the medical otherwise we would have gotten him. Is Bony the pacey, mobile striker we are looking for? Seems to be another square peg in a round hole, doesn't matter how good he is if he doesn't fit the system, then it wouldn't work out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samir12)
    Remy was rejected due to medical otherwise we would have gotten him. Is Bony the pacey, mobile striker we are looking for? Seems to be another square peg in a round hole, doesn't matter how good he is if he doesn't fit the system, then it wouldn't work out.
    *******s. He was fit enough to pass a medical at Chelsea and score vital goals for them.

Bony would certainly be an upgrade on Borini, Lambert or Balotelli, and he was very attainable.

ReputationRep:
    *******s. He was fit enough to pass a medical at Chelsea and score vital goals for them.

Bony would certainly be an upgrade on Borini, Lambert or Balotelli, and he was very attainable.
    He would be an upgrade but he would probably paper over the cracks as our attacking play wouldn't function properly. It's not about buying better players and throwing them into your side, it's about buying the right players for the right system. That being said, would have taken Bony over Balo.

It wasn't about Remy being fit enough, it was about the risk. Chelsea can easily afford the risk, we can't. In hindsight we should have taken the risk though.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool sign Lambert and Lallana with CL football

Manchester United sign Di Maria and Falcao without CL football

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That's a completely valid point, but everyone who watches football knows Sturridge has a terrible track record with injuries. To not sign a striker who can emulate Sturridge's role within your system is unforgivable though.

Lambert is a decent back up plan if I'm honest. He can partner Sturridge or provide you with something completely different, as well as coming cheaply. Balotelli shouldn't have been signed at all though. Even taking away his diabolical track record with negative press and causing to be a problem for morale, Rodgers only had to look at his performances with Milan and City to know he just would not be able to work in a system without Sturridge. Fair enough, he tried to sign Sanchez but that's no excuse for moving on and failing to find someone else of similar style. There are certainly better options out there than Balotelli.

It's a difficult position to be in if Sturridge gets another injury though. Sterling looks like he's been asked to take on too heavy a burden for his age, a little like Chamberlain for us this season due to injuries, and Borini looks like he is out of sorts at the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    He would be an upgrade but he would probably paper over the cracks as our attacking play wouldn't function properly. It's not about buying better players and throwing them into your side, it's about buying the right players for the right system. That being said, would have taken Bony over Balo.

It wasn't about Remy being fit enough, it was about the risk. Chelsea can easily afford the risk, we can't. In hindsight we should have taken the risk though.
    Balotelli was nowhere near a good fit for our system, though. That was clear as day. He was so far away from what we needed.

It would have been better to get Bony imo. Even if it was a temporary solution.

ReputationRep:
    Balotelli was nowhere near a good fit for our system, though. That was clear as day. He was so far away from what we needed.

It would have been better to get Bony imo. Even if it was a temporary solution.
    It's easy to say that in hindsight but at the time of Balo's signing, we all were happy with it myself included, even some non Liverpool fans said it was a good signing. We just didn't realise how important a mobile pacey striker like Sturridge was to our system until we saw how out of place Balo and Lambert were.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    It's easy to say that in hindsight but at the time of Balo's signing, we all were happy with it myself included, even some non Liverpool fans said it was a good signing. We just didn't realise how important a mobile pacey striker like Sturridge was to our system until we saw how out of place Balo and Lambert were.
    ~I wasn't happy with it~

I warned you all. I did. I said we had no pace to replace Suarez.

No-one listened. Now look where we are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i see it both ways.
    rodgers was foolish not to buy either an attacking midfielder or striker; star players like isco or benzema - two examples that i feel we could have signed had we shelled out around 40m. (srs)
    but how can you not say your best player being out for half a season isn't bad luck (even if he is injury prone)?

who is Ricky Lambert?
    it's Rickie mate, get it right :cool:

you say it as if i have at any point defended rodgers and the club for the consistently poor level of transfer decisions and negotiations that we so frequently partake in.
    do you know how it feels to know that your club constantly overpay for players based seemingly on form alone?
    we wasted so much money; money that we won't get back if we fail to make top 4 this season.

as a fan, the fact that we paid stupid amounts of money for lallana and lovren, along with sturridge being out for half a season is kind of frustrating.
    I honestly couldn't see either Isco or Benzema movig to you last summer. Benzema being a integral part of a Madrid attack who had just scored the most combined goals in world football. Isco would have had a choice between Liverpool and Madrid last summer, with no disrespect to your club, do you really see him turning down the Champions of Europe and biggest club in the world when you lost out on a star player in Sanchez to us? That's not to say there aren't great players out there that you could sign, there certainly are, just not those particular two.

I'll agree there is a certain element of bad luck to miss half a season but with a track record he has I would put more blame on Rodgers poor planning. Didn't he also suffer a setback in training during his recovery? You could possibly argue more care needs to be taken with a player of his mold.

I can only go by what I see from your post as I don't really post on here that often. Fair enough if you have been critical of Rodgers this season though, I have felt the frustration at times with Wenger but the guy is a class act.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.