The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I don't know, I think I put my heart on my sleeve a lot here so to speak. But he's definitely a perceptive fellow.
I would agree with you but this is a curse more than anything as it rarely leads to the desirable outcome. I am always the first to know when someone is upset, angry, when they are joking, being serious, or being hurt, but it means every single girl I speak to ends up putting me in the friend zone when I start to read them too well.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I would agree with you but this is a curse more than anything as it rarely leads to the desirable outcome. I am always the first to know when someone is upset, angry, when they are joking, being serious, or being hurt, but it means every single girl I speak to ends up putting me in the friend zone when I start to read them too well.
A curse as well.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Rather astute, even though most of it is merely remembering stuff that's gone on
Although, on the emotional front, do we really have many debates that come down to emotion in MHoC bar ones where it's absolutely stupid crap like with hunting where an emotional argument shows nothing more than a lack of an argument, or similarly the "I don't like this line of argument, so I'll say I'm offended to stop it" type of "emotion", given that for the last few months I have mostly retreated to MHoC?
It all comes down to reading between the lines after reading something someone has written. By the comment I mean more in debates there are two groups of people, those who bring up the moralistic side to a debate, and those who bring up the factual side to the debate using statistics; you are firmly in the latter group.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah my dress sense was once described as 'more Tony Blair than Ed Milibland'.

I have that too, I think a bit of an ego is common amongst those interested in politics.

Everyone around me seems to be unambitious, unimaginative or a combination of the two. I guess it ties in with the ego.
I recall when i was 17 and started having success with women and working i changed my style to a very smart-casual (shirts and skinny ties with jeans, blazer and shirt, shirt and jumper ect..) and actually had random people coming up to me and complementing my dress sense. I think it certainly contributed to the idea that i was a bit posh for the random person. This made more sense when i ventured into the style section of TSR, the women all wet themselves over men that look smart rather than ordinary.

Aye, strong opinions.

Yes. Indeed i'd go as far saying that many people are envious and dissuade ambition (it's arrogant to think you can do well apparently).
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It all comes down to reading between the lines after reading something someone has written. By the comment I mean more in debates there are two groups of people, those who bring up the moralistic side to a debate, and those who bring up the factual side to the debate using statistics; you are firmly in the latter group.
I would argue that the moral side of things is far too variable, the tiniest moral argument would very quickly swing some, it would almost never sway me. Of course, this is also true of the more factual side of things, some people will never shift. Of course, the other side of things is that the positions I tend to take are normally the ones where the people you are going to have agreeing with you are generally either factual or in the middle, I am highly unlikely to be able to win over those that take a moralistic approach, no matter how well I argue on a more emotional front, I would rather be far more rigorous and consistent in my factual argument and let allies tackle the more emotional side of things. Then throw in the general lack of apathy and very logical wiring of the mind and that seals the case for an emotional argument 99+% of the time, and that 1% is rarely in public.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, slightly interesting test thing:
http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online
It's a proper test, not like most silly internet things, although, of course, like most such things it does say not to take results as a diagnosis or anything like that, and it isn't too hard to try to rig the results to come out one way or another, but if you answer honestly it is an interesting general indicator.

p.s. Didn't look for it, was in a Torygraph article.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I recall when i was 17 and started having success with women and working i changed my style to a very smart-casual (shirts and skinny ties with jeans, blazer and shirt, shirt and jumper ect..) and actually had random people coming up to me and complementing my dress sense. I think it certainly contributed to the idea that i was a bit posh for the random person. This made more sense when i ventured into the style section of TSR, the women all wet themselves over men that look smart rather than ordinary.

Aye, strong opinions.

Yes. Indeed i'd go as far saying that many people are envious and dissuade ambition (it's arrogant to think you can do well apparently).
I may have overdid it with the pocket square on that occasion.
I never go on the style section, maybe I should. Outside the MHoC I tend to only go on the relationships section (for the banter).

Yep.

You've got a point. There's nothing wrong with being the best you can be.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm, apparently London has the highest level of cocaine in its wastewater of any city in Europe (at least of those tested) o.O

Posted from TSR Mobile
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmm, apparently London has the highest level of cocaine in its wastewater of any city in Europe (at least of those tested) o.O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tut, tut. So much waste.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tut, tut. So much waste.
PRSOM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tahret
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, slightly interesting test thing:
http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online
It's a proper test, not like most silly internet things, although, of course, like most such things it does say not to take results as a diagnosis or anything like that, and it isn't too hard to try to rig the results to come out one way or another, but if you answer honestly it is an interesting general indicator.

p.s. Didn't look for it, was in a Torygraph article.
Apparently I'm dishonest. Lies.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
GDP growth last year expected to be revised up to 3.1pc and up to 0.4pc for Q1

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)

Aye, strong opinions.

I agree with dressing we although I get hit on despite looking like a track sometimes haha.
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think at school you always went with the crowd a bit when the Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and Football car craze went around. You were the little boy footballer who tried to outdo everyone else by by stealing them all form the shop thinking you were a cool. When everyone went through the phase of saying they support Manchester United and having David Beckham haircuts, you were the in anti-United group, where you are still today.

To address the financially poor students stereotype I predict you are a stickler for saving and have saved up in excess of £7500 because spending anything more than £20 makes you feel nauseous. But as much as you like saving you keep bringing yourself to spend as you a firm believer that there is no point in dying with lots of money.
I never particularly cared about Pokemon but I certainly had a Yu-Gi-Oh phase. Whilst I can be competitive in football (I typically play as a Goalkeeper or Defender, meaning I'll do almost anything to ensure the ball doesn't reach our net) and in most sports, I have never stolen anything from a shop. To a certain extent that's true, but I wouldn't say I'm anti-United (especially considering last year, I have a bigger hatred of the scousers ). I think it's fair to say many supporters probably aren't supporting a truly local club (it's a big ask for someone to support a league 2 side a mile away over a mid table prem team 3 miles away), but supporting a team because they often win just doesn't make sense to me. I don't see the enjoyment in glory hunting.

Partially correct, my core instinct is indeed to save. I don't subscribe to just hoarding up a massive cash pile until I die, but equally I see no reason to spend what I have when I'm only 17. When I do have to buy things, I look for quality and value for money. I strive to be financially independent, and a core reason I save so much is to ensure I reduce the need for parental income to keep me going through Uni, for a mortgage deposit to get a nice London apartment etc.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Burford99)
I could get no more inquisitive and no less altruistic. Most things are in the lower 10pc and not many GI above the median.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Life_peer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ahem, is this the advice section in a women's magazine? :awesome:

(Original post by Burford99)
What if you're being dishonest right now? How can we tell? There is no certainty in this world! :woo:
TeeEff
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
There is no certainty in this world! :woo:
“There are only two certainties in life – death and taxes”

Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Financier)
“There are only two certainties in life – death and taxes”

Arguably death isn't certain.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Arguably death isn't certain.
In what way is death avoidable. All conceived ends to the universe include the absolute certainty of death of all life (we know to be possible)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In what way is death avoidable. All conceived ends to the universe include the absolute certainty of death of all life (we know to be possible)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quantum splitting of the universe. There are theories which imply that for every quantum decision the universe splits for each possible outcome which means that there are an infinitely large amount of universes within which no one dies but this is an infinamaldecent amount on universes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.89%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27.03%
Not great so far... (282)
35.79%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.29%

Watched Threads