Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Question guys. I have an interview on Wednesday with a law firm for a Graduate support analyst role. Don't really want it 100% but it's a job. I also have an Ernst and Young interview this week which is a lot more appealing in terms of prestige... lets say I get an offer from the law firm first, if I accept it would I have to stay there for a minimum period or would it be fine to just leave and go to the Ernst and Young graduate scheme if/when i get the offer?
    well you would resign with notice to be as professional as possible, usually 2 weeks.

although, I presume they would give you a standing offer with time to accept and weigh your options.

in any case, they may 'hire' you, without the signing of an employment contract. a company must present you with this within 21 days of work iirc. it need not be straightaway.

best choice, is to take it (if you have to i.e. no standing offer), and move on to E&Y if it presents itself. it will not take long in the grand scheme of things.

what law firm btw?

ReputationRep:
    Just sent off my UCAS (again). Nervous as **** now. Last year I had predicted grades to guide me but cause I'm retaking privately this year I don't have any. Means there's a chance that uni's will see my grades and flat out reject me before even looking at my application or seeing that I'm retaking

All I want is one offer to calm things down haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Just sent off my UCAS (again). Nervous as **** now. Last year I had predicted grades to guide me but cause I'm retaking privately this year I don't have any. Means there's a chance that uni's will see my grades and flat out reject me before even looking at my application or seeing that I'm retaking

All I want is one offer to calm things down haha
    What you applying for?

Not golf management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    What you applying for?

Not golf management

Rofl FK was the one who does Golf management

Applied for Mechanical engineering. Hoping to firm Nottingham if they give me an offer like last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    well you would resign with notice to be as professional as possible, usually 2 weeks.

although, I presume they would give you a standing offer with time to accept and weigh your options.

in any case, they may 'hire' you, without the signing of an employment contract. a company must present you with this within 21 days of work iirc. it need not be straightaway.

best choice, is to take it (if you have to i.e. no standing offer), and move on to E&Y if it presents itself. it will not take long in the grand scheme of things.

what law firm btw?
    Yes, I am anticipating a standing offer and how it will buy me some time to 'think' about how to move forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)

Applied for Mechanical engineering. Hoping to firm Nottingham if they give me an offer like last year.
    Ok I'll call you when my car breaks down.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Time to start hunting for legal placements -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Time to start hunting for legal placements -_-
    you mean vac schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceJJFish(II))

Posted from TSR Mobile

Beware of the El Shabir.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im confused.

do you watch Jersey Shore or nah?
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    you mean vac schemes?
    No not yet with that. Legal work experience to boost CV when it comes to the time to look for a Training contract etc.

ReputationRep:
    Im confused.

do you watch Jersey Shore or nah?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it before

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im confused.

FK thinks Mechanical Engineering is becoming a mechanic who works in a garage.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it before

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    No not yet with that. Legal work experience to boost CV when it comes to the time to look for a Training contract etc.
    do you have contacts?

a lot of firms will be unwilling to accommodate you when they cant get anything from you.

those that do provide, its generally very low level work, that you would do for example in year 10 work experience.

best to get involved with your Law Society, mooting and pro bono opportunities tbh (in lieu of such low level work)

Spoiler:
    Show
    DAMN IM REALLY SMASHING OUT THE ADVICE TODAY

ReputationRep:
    Just realise tbh that I feel absolutely no interest at all in the law job but it's a job (a ****ty business support analyst job at that). I really hope (and pray) that I get the Ernst and Young grad scheme role.

ReputationRep:
    ****ing mac wont charge and all i want to do is watch some malcolm in the ****ing middle:mad:

ReputationRep:
    The next time I watch a Nicki Minaj video I want a revolver to the brain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll have my **** in my hand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do you have contacts?

a lot of firms will be unwilling to accommodate you when they cant get anything from you.

those that do provide, its generally very low level work, that you would do for example in year 10 work experience.

best to get involved with your Law Society, mooting and pro bono opportunities tbh (in lieu of such low level work)

Spoiler:
    Show
    DAMN IM REALLY SMASHING OUT THE ADVICE TODAY
    What degree did you do swirly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    What degree did you do swirly?
    What do you need advice on?

I have an approximate knowledge on everything.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.