Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's been Uniteds trophy since about Feburary. We were never gna mount a serious challange.

The Bolton result is this years version of the Wigan result last year. Just when we could be back in with a shout we destroy all hope.

ReputationRep:
    We need a motivator in the dressing room. If we get a foreign assistant coach to replace the one and only Patrice then I will bet anything we won't win. I think we should try and haul in Tony Adams or something because as much as I love Pat he just doesn't look motivated enough when we're losing, we need someone to scream and go nuts at the players until they play well cos it always seems to work for Man Utd...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zionic)
    We haven't lost a lead against a 10 man team. We've lost leads against teams when we've had 10 men (we had 10 men v newcastle), but the newcasle game is a bit of a fluke tbh. The defending wasn't bad, just 2 dodgy penalties and a good goal that the keeper almost got a finger tip to.

Dropping 2 goal advantages against spurs, hurtful as it is, they're a good team. But that's it, only 3 times have we given away 2 goal leads

What about man utd then? When they conceded 2 goals in 2 minutes against Everton (previously leading 3-1) and then nearly lost the game. Or against west brom, at old trafford, when utd lost a 2-0 lead.

I don't understand though, when it happens to arsenal our defence is terrible, it happens to united, it gets mentioned but no real criticism from the media about how crap their defence is. Do you see my point?

Criticism is due where criticism is due.
    You have - Wigan. N'Zogbia went off when you were leading 2-1 and you conceded a late on to a Squillaci own goal. Giving penalties away is bad defending, as is Tiote having so much space to unleash a shot. Stuff like "nearly got a fingertip to it" doesn't really matter, there's a fine line between winning and losing.

Our record at OT has been almost flawless. The Fulham, WBA and Everton games were earlier in the season, and none of them are our arch rivals. Additionally, we've been at the top of the table. When you're not at the top of the table and haven't won a trophy for a long time, people look for reasons and some fans started to get restless.

That's because our defence is not crap. Our defence has been the base for us winning 3 Premiership titles in 4 seasons. And despite not winning the Premiership in that one season, we conceded the least goals. For the period when our defence was crap earlier in the season it was criticised. Jonny Evans was criticised, as was Evra. The vulnerability was highlighted on MOTD.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal 1:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 2:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 3:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:1 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:2 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:3 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:4 Newcastle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This sums up the entire season perfectly

ReputationRep:
    On the plus side, Arsenal are making money, and that's all that matters, isn't it?

Well, only to the people that matter. Fans will keep buying tickets no matter what happens or how expensive they get, y'see.

As for Wenger, he takes years to do something the public or majority tell him to, and by then there are other weaknesses.

He won't sign a well-known centre back for about 5 years, expect a DM in a couple of years. By then you'll need a striker and a left back, though.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, time for change. Arsene has to act fast. Something has to be done quickly! Otherwise next season, our chances of winning something will be in jeopardy. We have to change something!

ReputationRep:
    The song of the current Arsenal board with Wenger as manager :awesome:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Starting to think the same about Clichy again myself. I was disappointed that everyone continued to slate him when he'd really picked up his game for a few months but during this crumble period he seems to be making a lot of the mistakes we'd become accustomed to before. Like I was saying about Djourou though, he's shown before that he's certainly got the ability, he's perhaps another one that really struggles mentally with defeat. Wenger just can't seem to find a way of managing players like that and he can't seem to find players to add to the side that can really pick those types of player up when defeat comes. The first time he went off the boil wasn't right after his good 06-07 season, it was the following February in the Birmingham game when Eddie got injured and he conceded (wrongfully so as he actually won the ball) a pen in the last minute which cost us the 3 points and started the crumble that season, which in turn has started crumbles at the same time every year.
    Love the fact even Arsenal fans refer to it as the crumble period!

Wenger needs to bring in someone with experience if he wants to bring some mental strength, CB would be a good position, because your midfield is packed, who has a winning pedigree probably in their twighlight years. The United players know this drill, end of the season close it out they have players who have done it all before.

VDS- 3 league titles
    O'Shea-4 titles
    Vidic-3 titles
    Ferdinand-4
    Evra-3 titles

thats just the defence, then you have players like Giggs, Neville, Scholes who have 28 titles between them. Even though those players may not be playing a crucial role in the games the leadership and experience players like that bring to the team is priceless. Chelsea have a team much the same, even Liverpool have players like Carragher and Gerrard. Who can Arsenal look to, who has done this all before? Your captain has the experience of 1 F.A. cup. win.

After the B'Ham loss, which player in the Arsenal dressing room is going to pick the players up? Arsenal had them in the past, vocal inspirational players. ffs even West Ham have Parker

Age and experience are going to go hand in hand, young players are important, but you need some experience ( the right kind). I think one of the reasons Wenger doesn't deploy the hairdryer is its pointless, you can only do that to a team who has the mental strength to take it, to look at themselves and know they can and have done better, they have dragged themselves back numerous times, you do it a bunch of inexperienced kids they will just fall apart.

Average age of the the Invincibles 27.5. This seasons squad 23.6, even that is dragged up by players like RVP, Rosický, and Arshavin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    The song of the current Arsenal board with Wenger as manager :awesome:.

:flute:

ReputationRep:
    There were so many times in todays match, where I was shouting shoot ffs

Also I predicted the bolton goal :proud:
    My crumble sense was tingling

ReputationRep:
    My nerves are shot to pieces.

I am absolutely in bits after this season; utterly bereft of sensation I am essentially a collection of shards glued together by my thinning, rusty blood.

I have been let down in ways I am too tired to express.

There's no way I can go through everything, but it is clear:
    - We have not got the decisions we should from officials
    - We've lacked commitment from some key players at key moments
    - Our squad isn't deep enough to cope with the obscene number of injuries we accrue
    - There is insufficient man-management on players to keep them nervous in the right way
    - All these things are interlinked

Basically the only problem Wenger has made for himself is utter protection of players. When things go well it is an awesome strategy and confidence flows freely, turning into goals and big wins... As soon as we get ****ed over by a referee/linesman/average midfielder then instead of throwing water bottles, he needs to properly call out the ****ups.

I would love to see Arsene petulantly berating referees and dropping players who screw up. Obviously you need balance in this approach, but I think there is a time and place for being the bad guy.

At the end of the day, we've had some disastrous decisions go against us, and today sprung several excellent examples:
    - No penalty for Theo
    - Davies and Muamba escaping cards for reckless dumb tackles (the latter would have led to a red card)
    - Penalty for absolutely nothing to them (3 games in a row now we've conceded penalties, 2 of which were absurdly soft)

HOWEVER... there is more we could do to help ourselves in these situations, and we need to get a bit nasty.

I'm going to have a long think about continuing to watch domestic football right now. The standard just isn't acceptable and I deserve a rest from all of this. Perhaps I'm due a little holiday.

I've ceased caring about the result from the United game, which is beyond abnormal for me, because I despise them... but the fact I've lost my thirst for such a fixture just shows where I am right now with all this. I'm tired and decimated. We deserve so much better.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Tbh we all knew it was going to happen as we expected our usual post-march decline.
    Trying to look at the positives, glad with Wenger's reaction- hopefully a sign that he's going to change his method.
    Also, am I the only one that noticed when Chamack came on, RVP took over Cesc through ball role and Cesc just seemed to dissappear. RVP played some glorious balls (which of course we shoul'dve scored from).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    LMAO Arsenal.
    Damn not being a fan has really lifted alot of weight off me, because if i still was a fan id be pulling my hair out right now.
    Is this seriously what people do? Flit between clubs of their fancy..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Love the fact even Arsenal fans refer to it as the crumble period!

Wenger needs to bring in someone with experience if he wants to bring some mental strength, CB would be a good position, because your midfield is packed, who has a winning pedigree probably in their twighlight years. The United players know this drill, end of the season close it out they have players who have done it all before.

VDS- 3 league titles
    O'Shea-4 titles
    Vidic-3 titles
    Ferdinand-4
    Evra-3 titles

thats just the defence, then you have players like Giggs, Neville, Scholes who have 28 titles between them. Even though those players may not be playing a crucial role in the games the leadership and experience players like that bring to the team is priceless. Chelsea have a team much the same, even Liverpool have players like Carragher and Gerrard. Who can Arsenal look to, who has done this all before? Your captain has the experience of 1 F.A. cup. win.

After the B'Ham loss, which player in the Arsenal dressing room is going to pick the players up? Arsenal had them in the past, vocal inspirational players. ffs even West Ham have Parker

Age and experience are going to go hand in hand, young players are important, but you need some experience ( the right kind). I think one of the reasons Wenger doesn't deploy the hairdryer is its pointless, you can only do that to a team who has the mental strength to take it, to look at themselves and know they can and have done better, they have dragged themselves back numerous times, you do it a bunch of inexperienced kids they will just fall apart.

Average age of the the Invincibles 27.5. This seasons squad 23.6, even that is dragged up by players like RVP, Rosický, and Arshavin.
    Here you go Arsenal fans, have a lecture from a Man U fan (allegedly) on how to manage a team.

In all seriousness I understand what you're trying to say but Arsenal fans are very aware of this and they probably don't want someone else to spout off obvious flaws, if they are that is.

ReputationRep:
    I have a real problem with people questioning that we have characters in our dressing room.

I think that when things get tough, there are certainly people in there - playing and coaching staff - who would give the speech, take people aside and get everyone going... but it's more a case of individuals not putting in the 100% required after the talking is done.

I want to eradicate the laziness and passengering and then we'll be a much better outfit.

Arshavin is a prime example of a luxury player who just never realises he isn't doing enough for the cause. Never comes for a ball, makes a token tackle here and there (wildly) and has outwardly said he struggles to be up for non big occassions. Perfect example of a player we would be wise to replace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    Young inexpensive signings can prove to be amazing.
    Agreed, providing they have experienced players in the dressing room and on the field.

Look at the difference between a Barca side with and without Puyol. Go one step further: replace Iniesta, Messi and Xavi with a few of their youth. Do you seriously believe they'll win La Liga or the CL without those four players?

When our invincibles team started falling apart because of age etc, we needed to replace them, as Arsène did, with a few youngsters, but also with experience, which he didn't. Our one-way system isn't working. And although it's good to watch, as Cesc said: it's not winning us trophies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Agreed, providing they have experienced players in the dressing room and on the field.

Look at the difference between a Barca side with and without Puyol. Go one step further: replace Iniesta, Messi and Xavi with a few of their youth. Do you seriously believe they'll win La Liga or the CL without those four players?

When our invincibles team started falling apart because of age etc, we needed to replace them, as Arsène did, with a few youngsters, but also with experience, which he didn't. Our one-way system isn't working. And although it's good to watch, as Cesc said: it's not winning us trophies.
    So what you're saying is by replacing 50% of the out field players of ''Barca'' they won't be as good.

No ****?

Arsenal need good experienced players this season.If Wenger signs anyone that is younger than 23 that isn't Hazard I'll snap.

40 million + selling some of the crap currently here will rejuvenate the side.
    If we make one or two big profile signings then Cesc will stay because he knows he won't start for Barca anytime soon with Thiago,Affelay,Iniesta and Xavi in positions he could potentially play in and unless Chelsea brain farts the idea to buy him I don't think he will move.

In my opinion the great signings we could make this summer that aren't that expensive:

Ali Sisshokho
    M.Sakho/Matt Hummels
    Nuri Sahin/Thiago(this would lead to cesc going to other way unfortunately)/Pedro Leon(This dude will be next to free)
    Moussa Sow/ Cavani / Gomez(unlikely but the dude is a goal machine.

Ideally tho I'd love us to have this team next year:

Scez

Sagna Vermalen Hummels Sissokho

Wilshere

Fabregas Sahin

Nasri

RVP Cavani

Subs: Arshavin,Lehman,Song,Gibbs,Sow,k osch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    So what you're saying is by replacing 50% of the out field players of ''Barca'' they won't be as good.

No ****?

Arsenal need good experienced players this season.If Wenger signs anyone that is younger than 23 that isn't Hazard I'll snap.
    It's funny how even after having acknowledged the obvious post I made, you still don't understand it.

Hazard is certainly gifted, but offers no experience whatsoever.

Now that isn't to say that I wouldn't like to see him at Arsenal. However, a combination of quality and experience is what is needed.

Answer me this: what did we have in our invincibles team that we don't have today?

40 million + selling some of the crap currently here will rejuvenate the side.
    If we make one or two big profile signings then Cesc will stay because he knows he won't start for Barca anytime soon with Thiago,Affelay,Iniesta and Xavi in positions he could potentially play in and unless Chelsea brain farts the idea to buy him I don't think he will move.

In my opinion the great signings we could make this summer that aren't that expensive:

Ali Sisshokho
    M.Sakho/Matt Hummels
    Nuri Sahin/Thiago(this would lead to cesc going to other way unfortunately)/Pedro Leon(This dude will be next to free)
    Moussa Sow/ Cavani / Gomez(unlikely but the dude is a goal machine.

Ideally tho I'd love us to have this team next year:

Scez

Sagna Vermalen Hummels Sissokho

Wilshere

Fabregas Sahin

Nasri

RVP Cavani

Subs: Arshavin,Lehman,Song,Gibbs,Sow,k osch
    Oh, I see what you did there. You're a football manager-esque footballer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    It's funny how even after having acknowledged the obvious post I made, you still don't understand it.

Hazard is certainly gifted, but offers no experience whatsoever.

Now that isn't to say that I wouldn't like to see him at Arsenal. However, a combination of quality and experience is what is needed.

Answer me this: what did we have in our invincibles team that we don't have today?

Oh, I see what you did there. You're a football manager-esque footballer.
    Yes buying 3-4 players that aren't drop dead expensive or hard to obtain is being football manager-esque.

Well look at madrid and city
    Hell look at Barca and Milan.

ALmost every team that is winning something spent in the last transfer season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    Arsenal 1:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 2:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 3:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:0 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:1 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:2 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:3 Newcastle
    Arsenal 4:4 Newcastle

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This sums up the entire season perfectly
    It does sum up our season, if you add in "Squad player acts stupid, gets sent off" and "injury screws up our defence".

And yes, those transfers suggested do seem to be based on FIFA/FM ratings more than anything else, although I may be wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.