Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Saliva is boring.
    Are you lot still let loose on each other with needles in first year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    we are
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeh

ReputationRep:
    No,we're not allowed to practise on each other (and not sure if true or deterrent (or both) but warned some student damaged another student's radial nerve when taking blood) we practise on these sponge things with these fake veins running through them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh
    Was a completely random thought - i think it was in the stages of considered unethical by my university.
    Surprised me how some people were only just putting in my first cannula in the last few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    we are
    I'm pretty sure it's only so we can (truthfully) say in the prospectus that you'll be taking blood within a month of starting... I feel we could have done without for now, to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talexe)
    I'm pretty sure it's only so we can (truthfully) say in the prospectus that you'll be taking blood within a month of starting... I feel we could have done without for now, to be honest!
    Yep, pretty much
    Like the patient contact in the first year

I know now the restrictions on 2nd year in there firm. Some of them seem absurd...

ReputationRep:
    I think we started venepuncture in ~ week 8. That said, it was just a one-off session on fake arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I think we started venepuncture in ~ week 8. That said, it was just a one-off session on fake arms.
    Ours was a one-off session on real arms... my arms!

ReputationRep:
    Gunna be spending tomorrow morning trying to find me some murmurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talexe)
    Ours was a one-off session on real arms... my arms!
    It isn't that bad. Although one twit forgot to remove the tourniquet in my session.

ReputationRep:
    The NG tube practical was way worse than the venepuncture/cannulation ones. I refused to let anyone practise ABGs on me though.

ReputationRep:
    After a year and a half medicine has suddenly become difficult and time consuming. Joy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    After a year and a half medicine has suddenly become difficult and time consuming. Joy.
    Yup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)

ReputationRep:
    Fundoscopy without pupil dilation is a bit of a *****, no idea what I was looking for. Any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Fundoscopy without pupil dilation is a bit of a *****, no idea what I was looking for. Any tips?
    Has your clinical skills centre got those fake heads that you can put in front of the window/a light source to practice on? I haven't got any useful advice other than practice... it's always seemed like luck not skill in finding anything!

ReputationRep:
    I found it hard too, it's meant to be easier on lighter eyed people? Luckily we just have to do it on models in our OSCE this year. It involves looking inside a small hole in a pair of table tennis balls to find random words written all over the inside, to demonstrate we can use a fundoscope! it's quite fun...as far as clinical skills goes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's particularly easy anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    It involves looking inside a small hole in a pair of table tennis balls to find random words written all over the inside
    kind of third world medical school is this? Can't they afford proper models?

MODS GUNNA MOD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.