?
Report 6 years ago
Average I guess I think Doctor Who is lacking
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Average to good, about as good as any other Christmas episode, given questions about oswin though

Posted from TSR Mobile
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That was brilliant

Might be a bit in love with Jenna-Louise Coleman :blush:
username91207
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Apart from the bloody resolution (crying? FFS) that was one of the best Christmas specials we've had in a while IMO.
Politics Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was wondering if the villain was going to be the Great Intelligence from the beginning when the boy heard the voice.

That was a good call back to the classic series.

Judged along side the normal standard of Christmas episodes this one was excellent.
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Also i enjoyed the multiple outward references - sherlock holmes, game of thrones etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dagnabbit
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Jenna-Louise Coleman is great; love the smile and dimples.

I really hope they stick with her for at least two series, no need for a second companion this time. :pika:
rhw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Looked up the Great Intelligence, apparently the author of it gave hints of House from The Doctor's Wife being GI. GI's species was the equivalent of the Time Lords back in the day.

Writer Neil Gaiman disclosed in Doctor Who Magazine that earlier drafts of his script for The Doctor's Wife implied that House, the villain of that story, was actually the Great Intelligence. These hints did not make it into the episode as aired.
Makes sense how they're linked.

Then it occurred to me that GI sounded similar to house. Possible buildup to the 50th anniversary episode?
i.am.lost
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That was a cracker of an episode. I must admit to having low expectations at the outset but Moffett has outdone himself yet again.
Politics Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rhw)
Looked up the Great Intelligence, apparently the author of it gave hints of House from The Doctor's Wife being GI. GI's species was the equivalent of the Time Lords back in the day.

Then it occurred to me that GI sounded similar to house. Possible buildup to the 50th anniversary episode?
I did not personally link House with the Great Intelligence. I would imagine if it was meant to the GI then it got written out during the script redrafts which is very odd as that episode had heaps of classic who references in it.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoyed that episode. Much better than any episode from the series really (maybe the finale being the exception).
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Poor, compared to The Next Doctor ... best ever Christmas Special

However, when compared to Voyage of the Damned ... Brilliant
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Since the poll is up: average to good, perhaps closer to good - It reminds me of the cubes episode a fair bit: Decent build up but the resolution was just sooo poor. In the cubes episode it was the sonic, this time it's a family crying? Really disappointing for an ending...
Yeah I thought the same but overall I liked it.

(Original post by rhw)

That would make an awesome villain for the 50th and I really liked them linking her in with the other episode, especially after everyone saying that she was an entirely different character
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Yes. For one her names Clara.

Strax is making me laugh... Rather like the bumbling oaf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really liked Strax in that episode.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
Woo I'm Sly Mcoy!

So true.
Dammit I'm McGann
Jarred
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I thought the episode was good, and was surprised that I enjoyed it, which is very rare for Christmas specials for me. I loved how retro this episode felt and I think they're going down that direction for Season 7 part 2. I've barely seen any of old Who, but I really think there were a lot of harkbacks to that era of the show in this episode.

First, we got the new title sequence, imo it was like a mix between the good ol' starfield sequences of the 80s mixed with the Tom Baker tunnel at the end, albeit with a different colour, and all re imagined with the technology of today. It felt very old Who, yet still modern, and the glimpse of Matt's face in the titles is a nice reference to the old days of the show.

Then you have the new theme, it reminded me very much of the theme used in the Trial of the Timelord series back in the Colin Baker days, sounded like a mix between that and the original series 5-7a theme.

Then you had the new Tardis interior, the previous one was very grand and steampunk, this one the opposite, quite small, quite contained, trapped almost, but yet very futuristic. And very reminiscent of the old Who Tardises in my opinion. When I saw the photos of the new Tardis I thought it looked atrocious, but on screen it worked well.

Then of course the villain. And also, one small thing, redesigned cybermen in the COMING SOON trailer, they looked very 80s. Over all, it's not the direction I expected them to take the show in, but from what I've seen so far, I quite liked it and it intrigues me. Ironically, the retro feel made the show feel fresh once again.
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
I thought the episode was good, and was surprised that I enjoyed it, which is very rare for Christmas specials for me. I loved how retro this episode felt and I think they're going down that direction for Season 7 part 2. I've barely seen any of old Who, but I really think there were a lot of harkbacks to that era of the show in this episode.

First, we got the new title sequence, imo it was like a mix between the good ol' starfield sequences of the 80s mixed with the Tom Baker tunnel at the end, albeit with a different colour, and all re imagined with the technology of today. It felt very old Who, yet still modern, and the glimpse of Matt's face in the titles is a nice reference to the old days of the show.

Then you have the new theme, it reminded me very much of the theme used in the Trial of the Timelord series back in the Colin Baker days, sounded like a mix between that and the original series 5-7a theme.

Then you had the new Tardis interior, the previous one was very grand and steampunk, this one the opposite, quite small, quite contained, trapped almost, but yet very futuristic. And very reminiscent of the old Who Tardises in my opinion. When I saw the photos of the new Tardis I thought it looked atrocious, but on screen it worked well.

Then of course the villain. And also, one small thing, redesigned cybermen in the COMING SOON trailer, they looked very 80s. Over all, it's not the direction I expected them to take the show in, but from what I've seen so far, I quite liked it and it intrigues me. Ironically, the retro feel made the show feel fresh once again.
I didn't like the new opening titles. I just thought it was too spacey wacey and not enough timey wimey
Hype en Ecosse
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
JLC is absolutely fantastic. :awesome:
Amazing character. Insta-crush from me.
OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoyed the christmas episode,particuarly the scenes with Strax. And I liked the scene with the line that was something like' Iam a green lizard woman and this is my wife'. Also the sherlock holmes references and the presence of Richard E Grant was good. Not sure about JLC but obviously as she is new,I'll give her time. Didnt like the concept of the posessed/evil snow/snowmen/ice lady so much but overall was a good episode.
Svenjamin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think that's about as good as Doctor Who gets. Funny, bit cheesy and never a satisfying conclusion, but a great cliffhanger and JLC is fab.

I was kinda hoping that the gimmick of JLC would be that she couldn't be saved completely after the fall, so she'd be dying slowly but the Doctor would take her on anyway without telling her the truth. I'll take her dying twice and screwing with how spacetime works though. Can't wait to see how she ended up in a Dalek, but guess we're going to wait until the end of her run for that. :/
Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoyed the episode, although a couple of things confused me.

1) When Richard E Grant (can't remember the character's name :p: ) was dead, why did the Great Intelligence suddenly not die, but keep mirroring the voice and thoughts he gave it?

2) I get the whole not-raining-but-mirroring-crying thing, but why would the snow suddenly do that? I was a bit distracted by the dog at the time discovering a stash of presents that weren't for him, but if I understood it correctly, there was a whole family crying, and because there was so much snow at the house where the family and soufflé girl were that made the snow turn tears. But why would it suddenly start mirroring them?

I'm not trying to pick holes here, just to understand what happened! I'll watch the episode again tomorrow and see what I missed when the family and dog were being too distracting :p:
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
An enjoyable romp but WHY DOESN'T MOFFAT KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE A ****ING PLOT LINE!!!!!!

Crying :facepalm2: A family crying :facepalm2: Kills off an invading race :facepalm2:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (322)
37.49%
No - but I will (67)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (408)
47.5%

Watched Threads