Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I agree with a lot you say, Zerf - but I disagree here.

We could have thrown money at Bony or Remy in hindsight.
    *******s. He was fit enough to pass a medical at Chelsea and score vital goals for them.

Bony would certainly be an upgrade on Borini, Lambert or Balotelli, and he was very attainable.
    A medical is not black/white like we think - it's a risk assessment and then the club make a decision. Our club obviously felt Remy was too high risk. He's barely even playing at Chelsea so we don't know if it's a risk or not for them. We would've complained massively if it came out afterwards that Remy was a risk, we signed him and then he was out for 6 months like Sturridge.

Bony would've been a better Balotelli/Lambert but we would've had the same issues with our style of play imo. We've seen with Sterling/Borini up front a return to form. We needed a mobile striker imo.

In hindsight, if Rodgers had known Welbeck would have become available, I think he would have gone for him.

(Original post by Mr Pink)
    That's a completely valid point, but everyone who watches football knows Sturridge has a terrible track record with injuries. To not sign a striker who can emulate Sturridge's role within your system is unforgivable though.

Lambert is a decent back up plan if I'm honest. He can partner Sturridge or provide you with something completely different, as well as coming cheaply. Balotelli shouldn't have been signed at all though. Even taking away his diabolical track record with negative press and causing to be a problem for morale, Rodgers only had to look at his performances with Milan and City to know he just would not be able to work in a system without Sturridge. Fair enough, he tried to sign Sanchez but that's no excuse for moving on and failing to find someone else of similar style. There are certainly better options out there than Balotelli.

It's a difficult position to be in if Sturridge gets another injury though. Sterling looks like he's been asked to take on too heavy a burden for his age, a little like Chamberlain for us this season due to injuries, and Borini looks like he is out of sorts at the club.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sturridge has missed a month here and a month there but he's never had a layoff this long? Was just as likely that he'd have an injury free 6 months as 6 months on the sidelines imo. Rodgers talked a lot about trying to bottom out why Sturridge has these injuries so the club obviously hadn't picked up on how much of a risk it was before.

Still agree that we massively messed up in not getting a like-for-like in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    Liverpool unfortunately will not attract big players simply due to money. Unless we get rich owners who want to win titles and trophies unlike these useless Americans who want to treat the club like cash cow without caring about about the club, history and expectations. I feel the fa needs to protect English clubs specially from Americans.
    You simply won't attract a high caliber player when our highest wage is 160k compared to citeh, cska chelski and manure who pay 300k+ and willing to spend 40 50 60 million on a player. I feel we are slowly slipping away into history and will become like nottingham forest with all their great history now struggling in league one or something.

The fans also must not stand for mediocrity, one thing I admire from manure fans is that they will protest and speak out if their club is going the wrong way and we have people still supporting rodgers even though this is the worst start in 50 years to the season.

Unfortunately this season is gone and there is very little chance of CL spot so next season rafa must come back and be given at least 100 million to spend and make more selling absolute jokes.
    Care to explain how FSG have used Liverpool FC as a cash cow? If anything FSG care a lot about the history of the club.

Ever heard of something called the FFP? Might want to have a google and educate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    It was clear that a mobile, pacey striker was needed. Of course it was clear. Suggesting it wasn't is nonsense.

Suarez/Sturridge were so brilliant last year because they were high-pressing, nippy, intense and quick. Lambert was clearly only ever going to be a second option for when games were tight and we struggled to break teams down, and it was clear from game two that Balotelli wasn't a viable option up front on his own if Sturridge got injured.

Bony or Remy would have rectified that.
    It was clear, but I rarely saw any Liverpool fans on here complain about the transfer at the time it happened. It was hopeful that Rodgers would adapt Balotelli's game to do the job which clearly failed. Tbh at the time, the general focus was on his behaviour and whether Rodgers can "tame" him.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says failing to sign Liverpool's Steven Gerrard remains one of his greatest transfer disappointments.

Mourinho was close to signing the midfielder in his first spell as Chelsea manager in 2005 before Gerrard chose to stay at Anfield.

"We did everything to try [to sign him] and it was almost there," said Mourinho.

"I was dreaming of Claude Makelele, Gerrard and Frank Lampard in midfield."
    Mourinho added: "We were playing in a proper triangle without a number 10 and playing Maka in front of the defenders. Me, Mr Abramovich and [former Chelsea chief executive] Peter Kenyon at that time, we dreamed of that.

"His people were open to him joining a top side like Chelsea. But to me personally he never said he would come. Never.

"He [Gerrard] was always a red and I think the decision was right."
    Gerrard will come up against Mourinho at Anfield on Tuesday in the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-final in one of the last meetings before the former England captain ends his 17-year career in the Liverpool first team this summer when he joins Los Angeles Galaxy.

But Mourinho, who describes Gerrard as an opponent he has always admired and respected, says he does not like Chelsea fans to poke fun at the player following his slip at Anfield last year in a match which saw Liverpool's title chances disappear.

"The song that my fans have I don't like at all," Mourinho said.
    "A couple of times it is good fun but to go and go and go, especially with a player like him who deserves respect, I don't think you don't need that.

"We have so many other songs, you don't need that one.
    "I love this quote when he was saying in his life he would never score a goal against Liverpool. I love these words.

"I understand why he was - almost, almost, almost - coming to Chelsea. But he didn't and I respect that a lot."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30871704

Did not expect that from Mourinho..

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if Gerrard went to Chelsea at that time, Chelsea would have carried on dominating the PL and Liverpool would probably be fighting relegation.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...-origi-8471190

Looks like Origi is staying at Lille. Tbh it would've made little sense to recall Ibe and Origi since one would've suffered without game time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)

Me neither. I'm disappointed in him.

ReputationRep:

It's Mourinho, he really means 'do it some more'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    I cried when i saw Jones getting ready to take a corner. It was hilarious how Jones rolls up his shorts and prepares himself for the corner kick. How can you have your CB taking your corners? :lolwut:.

He isnt going to last long as United manager if he keeps overcomplicating things. He's known for tinkering his formations and tactics but sometimes its just good to keep it basic. Stick Di Maria in midfield and leave Rooney up front.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You starting to lose faith in him or believe he won't stay too long?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Me neither. I'm disappointed in him.
    Presumably it will be the first XI who play us on Tuesday since you can play 2nd string at the weekend?

Standard Mourinho tactic to defend and play on the counter away from home or do you think we're sufficiently crap that Chelsea can go HAM like they did to Swansea away from home?

We look like we're on decent form (WDWWDWWW) but actually we've been playing pretty easy teams for most of that.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably it will be the first XI who play us on Tuesday since you can play 2nd string at the weekend?

Standard Mourinho tactic to defend and play on the counter away from home or do you think we're sufficiently crap that Chelsea can go HAM like they did to Swansea away from home?

We look like we're on decent form (WDWWDWWW) but actually we've been playing pretty easy teams for most of that.
    You lot are crap enough for us to go HAM but Mourinho won't do that so in all honesty I see a draw or a 1-0 park bus victory for Chelsea.

You'll get battered at the bridge though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golden tribe)
    Liverpool unfortunately will not attract big players simply due to money. Unless we get rich owners who want to win titles and trophies unlike these useless Americans who want to treat the club like cash cow without caring about about the club, history and expectations. I feel the fa needs to protect English clubs specially from Americans.
    You simply won't attract a high caliber player when our highest wage is 160k compared to citeh, cska chelski and manure who pay 300k+ and willing to spend 40 50 60 million on a player. I feel we are slowly slipping away into history and will become like nottingham forest with all their great history now struggling in league one or something.

The fans also must not stand for mediocrity, one thing I admire from manure fans is that they will protest and speak out if their club is going the wrong way and we have people still supporting rodgers even though this is the worst start in 50 years to the season.

Unfortunately this season is gone and there is very little chance of CL spot so next season rafa must come back and be given at least 100 million to spend and make more selling absolute jokes.
    This isn't the worst start in 50 years to the season. Maybe after the first 10 or so games yeah but it's picked up.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/m...RENT_STANDINGS
    After 24 games you were on 35 points.
    After 22 games you are currently on 35 points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You lot are crap enough for us to go HAM but Mourinho won't do that so in all honesty I see a draw or a 1-0 park bus victory for Chelsea.

You'll get battered at the bridge though.
    Not looking forward to this 3-4-3 formation getting ripped apart. Let's see if Rodgers is as smart and as tactical as he thinks.

I think I'd fancy us more to beat you over one leg than over two (the final/prior to semis).

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea will look to get an away goal so we should park the bus and play on the counter as well. We're better in terms of pace, if Hazard can be contained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Chelsea will look to get an away goal so we should park the bus and play on the counter as well. We're better in terms of pace, if Hazard can be contained.
    I think we should go back to the good old tactic of kicking lumps out of Costa and Hazard.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think winning Europa League has to be a priority this year, because doesn't the EL winner get a CL spot next season?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    I honestly think winning Europa League has to be a priority this year, because doesn't the EL winner get a CL spot next season? That would be great if United finished 4th and we took that final spot of them.
    Winner of EL doesn't take 4th spot, max of 5 teams in a league can qualify now. A scenario in which what you said can happen is if Arsenal and Liverpool win the CL and EL respectively and both finish outside top 4, that if United finish 4th, they lose the spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Winner of EL doesn't take 4th spot, max of 5 teams in a league can qualify now. A scenario in which what you said can happen is if Arsenal and Liverpool win the CL and EL respectively and both finish outside top 4, that if United finish 4th, they lose the spot.
    Oh okay, that makes sense and could possibly still happen (although I can't see Arsenal get close to winning a CL, while Wenger is still there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    Oh okay, that makes sense and could possibly still happen (although I can't see Arsenal get close to winning a CL, while Wenger is still there).
    I dunno, Wenger showed another side of tactics yesterday so he may suprise us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mourinho's spoken about how he used to dream of a midfield of Gerrard, Lampard and Makelele. What a ****ing midfield that would have been between 2004 and 2006. Doesn't even bear thinking about.

He's also told the Chelsea fans to quit the Gerrard slip chants.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.