Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Fundoscopy I can do. Although trying to explain to the supervisor that I was left eyed was fun
    Otoscopy on the other hand... All I ever see is wax.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Fundoscopy I can do. Although trying to explain to the supervisor that I was left eyed was fun
    How do you know? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I believe it is when you close one eye, the image jumps. So like when I close my right eye, my laptop jumps a little to the right of my normal binocular vision, hence showing the right eye (image stays fixed) is my dominant 'eye'? (Probably more your dominant occipital lobe rather than eye)

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Fundoscopy without pupil dilation is a bit of a *****, no idea what I was looking for. Any tips?
    Never understood it until I did neurology really. An old neurologist with a black neuro bag and a waistcoat told me to feel the occipital prominence (the bump on the back of the head), keep one hand on that and then using the fundoscope, 'nail' the fundoscope beam to the bump. Works everytime!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the tips guys! Rep would be coming if it wouldn't ask me to rate some other members first, but it's the thought that counts eh?

Seems I should just get some practice in tbh, the idea with the occipital prominence sounds like a good 'un. Apparently in our OSCE's we either get a model or just pics of retinas anyway, but I'd like to be able to do it properly either way of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    I believe it is when you close one eye, the image jumps. So like when I close my right eye, my laptop jumps a little to the right of my normal binocular vision, hence showing the right eye (image stays fixed) is my dominant 'eye'? (Probably more your dominant occipital lobe rather than eye)
    Yep, you can also get a peice of paper and cut a hole in it. Then bring it back to your eyes and you'll cover your least dominent "eye" and look out of the hole with your dominent "eye". It's what we do to determine how you're going to hold a shotgun as if you hold it up to your "wrong" eye you won't be able to hit ****.

(Original post by Isometrix)
    I found it hard too, it's meant to be easier on lighter eyed people? Luckily we just have to do it on models in our OSCE this year. It involves looking inside a small hole in a pair of table tennis balls to find random words written all over the inside, to demonstrate we can use a fundoscope! it's quite fun...as far as clinical skills goes.
    That actually sounds quite fun. How did they manage to write little messages on the inside of tennis balls though?

ReputationRep:
    I just tried this. Nothing particularly moves :confused: Do I not have a dominant eye?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Seems I should just get some practice in tbh, the idea with the occipital prominence sounds like a good 'un. Apparently in our OSCE's we either get a model or just pics of retinas anyway, but I'd like to be able to do it properly either way of course.
    The models are a piece of piss. A monkey could identify a banana on one of those if you gave them a fundoscope.

(Original post by RollerBall)

That actually sounds quite fun. How did they manage to write little messages on the inside of tennis balls though?
    Imagine finding 'penis' on one of them in your OSCE, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)

Never understood it until I did neurology really. An old neurologist with a black neuro bag and a waistcoat told me to feel the occipital prominence (the bump on the back of the head), keep one hand on that and then using the fundoscope, 'nail' the fundoscope beam to the bump. Works everytime!
    That is one way to tell but I know because of when I have gone shooting and done some archery I always need left-handed bows/guns (I can shoot right eyed but not as well and seeing as the person I was with was left handed it didn't matter )

Another way to tell is to put your hands up making a small O and look at someone. They will only be able to see one of your eyes and that is your dominant eye (well that was how the archery instructor explained it.

I will try that tip digi might make it easier!

ReputationRep:
    Aaahh I have to do a 1 hour teaching session to some younger students tomorrow and I am ridiculously apprehensive!! I think the longest presentation I have ever done is about 15 minutes, and I have never really done anything that constitutes teaching. It will be good practice, but I hope they don't show me up, everyone is always saying the lower years are cleverer than us oldies! Any tips from anyone who has done some teaching?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I just tried this. Nothing particularly moves :confused: Do I not have a dominant eye?
    Same :dontknow:

I hope my right eye is dominant, as I am so bad at closing it. I practically have to scrunch up my whole cheek :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    Aaahh I have to do a 1 hour teaching session to some younger students tomorrow and I am ridiculously apprehensive!! I think the longest presentation I have ever done is about 15 minutes, and I have never really done anything that constitutes teaching. It will be good practice, but I hope they don't show me up, everyone is always saying the lower years are cleverer than us oldies! Any tips from anyone who has done some teaching?
    • Avoid powerpoint
    • If you have to use it, don't read off the slide
    • Ask questions to the audience
    • Aim to give your talk for 3/4 of the time to ensure you leave time for questions and finish on time

Or you could just tell them to go to the pub and you will be a winner all round! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have access to:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...g%20%281985%29

Please?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have access to:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...g%20%281985%29

Please?
    Just tried to look for you to see if I had access :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Penguinsaysquack)
    Just tried to look for you to see if I had access :facepalm2:
    You managed to develop Korsakoff's syndrome already?

Well damn, I can't say I'm not impressed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You managed to develop Korsakoff's syndrome already?

Well damn, I can't say I'm not impressed.
    Just wikipedia'd it.. give me another year maybe.. haven't quite gotten to the stage of attempting to get to another country whilst lashed yet

ReputationRep:
    Haven't quite gotten to the stage of attempting to get to another country whilst lashed yet
    My parents refuse to give me my passport even when I tried to say I needed it for my BSc application because my sister told them about my attempted Paris expedition >.>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Do you not use your right eye for their right eye and vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Do you not use your right eye for their right eye and vice versa?
    Yes but initially we started with the right eye to make it easier for people to start with. Was not the case with me then I found it bloody easy when we moved to the left eye.
    And you can use one eye only (we had one person who was blind in one eye) but it requires positioning and is generally harder.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My parents refuse to give me my passport even when I tried to say I needed it for my BSc application because my sister told them about my attempted Paris expedition >.>
    Haha that's brilliant.. well not for you, but amusing for everyone else..

Which BSc you going for?

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's brilliant.. well not for you, but amusing for everyone else..

Which BSc you going for?
    Med Ed hopefully. On the SSC atm, hence looking for access to a paper on the efficacy of PBL :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.