Doctor Who - Discussion Thread II Watch

This discussion is closed.
Yoghurt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not sure if it's been mentioned but on Clara Oswin Oswald's grave her birthday was Novemeber 23rd
Politics Student
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rhw)
Looked up the Great Intelligence, apparently the author of it gave hints of House from The Doctor's Wife being GI.
I fully recommend you go and watch the Web of Fear (You may end up listening to the majority I am pretty sure it has a lot of lost episodes).

(Original post by Mess.)
An enjoyable romp but WHY DOESN'T MOFFAT KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE A ****ING PLOT LINE!!!!!!

Crying :facepalm2: A family crying :facepalm2: Kills off an invading race :facepalm2:
Yes but I have found that all new who has struggled with ending episodes. I also like how that felt added at the last minute. They should have ended it like the other Great Intelligence episodes with the connection to earth being cut off.

(Original post by Feefifofum)
I enjoyed the episode, although a couple of things confused me.

1) When Richard E Grant (can't remember the character's name :p: ) was dead, why did the Great Intelligence suddenly not die, but keep mirroring the voice and thoughts he gave it?

2) I get the whole not-raining-but-mirroring-crying thing, but why would the snow suddenly do that? I was a bit distracted by the dog at the time discovering a stash of presents that weren't for him, but if I understood it correctly, there was a whole family crying, and because there was so much snow at the house where the family and soufflé girl were that made the snow turn tears. But why would it suddenly start mirroring them?

I'm not trying to pick holes here, just to understand what happened! I'll watch the episode again tomorrow and see what I missed when the family and dog were being too distracting :p:
1) This did not surprise me as I had presumed it was the Great Intelligence from the beginning. So I knew that it would not be destroyed or at least expected it to survive anyway.

2) Yes that ending was dire. Still I liked how the actress was playing the same character as the one that died in a previous story. Best to read the ending as Snow is magically and move on with a face palm lol. Do you know what would have been a better ending? Cutting the Great Intelligence off from Earth and having the killer snow men just becoming normal snowmen.
The_Super_Nerd(:
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Pretty fab episode! Ending was dire, bloody crying, at least it wasn't love again. I feel like a cynical old witch saying that but love does feel like a massive cop out!
I thought the whole "Are you going back to your cloud?" "No, it rained" was pretty clever. Oh and I adored Strax "She said I should get grenades, actually it might have been help" Made me chuckle!
Supermassive_muse_fan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
An enjoyable romp but WHY DOESN'T MOFFAT KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE A ****ING PLOT LINE!!!!!!

Crying :facepalm2: A family crying :facepalm2: Kills off an invading race :facepalm2:
I thought that was such a poor ending. I wanted them to explain what made the snow intelligent? The Doctor said it was alien snow... Where did it come from? How? It was a good episode overall (and I really liked the staircase going up to the clouds, thought it looked very cinematic) but I wish more thought had been put into this episode's protagonist. Only slightly better episode than those awful cubes.

Also the fact that one minute the Doctor is rather apathetic and keeps himself isolated - and then, he gives Clara a key (to the TARDIS I presume). Do like Oswin though, think she'll make a good companion. Did anyone else feel a tad sad when she said 'Pond'...
Shengis14
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
I thought that was such a poor ending. I wanted them to explain what made the snow intelligent? The Doctor said it was alien snow... Where did it come from? How? It was a good episode overall (and I really liked the staircase going up to the clouds, thought it looked very cinematic) but I wish more thought had been put into this episode's protagonist. Only slightly better episode than those awful cubes.

Also the fact that one minute the Doctor is rather apathetic and keeps himself isolated - and then, he gives Clara a key (to the TARDIS I presume). Do like Oswin though, think she'll make a good companion. Did anyone else feel a tad sad when she said 'Pond'...
Take it you haven't watched the original seasons I take it?

The snow was a part of the great intelligence, a great old one who existed before the creation of the universe, the doctors met it before, twice. Once in a special called the abominable snowman and once in an episode where it tried to destroy London using the underground (hence the underground reference in this Xmas special)

The great intelligence essentially lost its body when it came to this universe and is trying to get another one
I can't remember it's full history off the top of my head, but it'll be on the Internet somewhere.

I've got a feeling (and hope) that the great intelligence will become a more regular villain.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Shengis14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
Also i enjoyed the multiple outward references - sherlock holmes, game of thrones etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was this game of thrones reference btw? I've obviously missed it

Supermassive_muse_fan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Shengis14)
Take it you haven't watched the original seasons I take it?

The snow was a part of the great intelligence, an old one who existed before the creation of the universe, the doctors met it before, twice. Once in a special called the abominable snowman and once in an episode where it tried to destroy London using the underground (hence the underground reference in this Xmas special)

The great intelligence essentially lost its body when it came to this universe and is trying to get another one
I can't remember it's full history off the top of my head, but it'll be on the Internet somewhere.

I've got a feeling (and hope) that the great intelligence will become a more regular villain.

Ah I see, yes you're quite right - I only started it watching halfway through Christopher Ecclestone playing the Doctor. In that case, its pretty cool they're referencing the old series. The London underground references make much more sense now.
Shengis14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
Ah I see, yes you're quite right - I only started it watching halfway through Christopher Ecclestone playing the Doctor. In that case, its pretty cool they're referencing the old series. The London underground references make much more sense now.
Me too actually, but I got bored one summer and went on netflix, there's tons of the old ones in there

Yoghurt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I believe the reference was when Dr. Simeon said "Winter is Coming"
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Winter is coming, a winter that will never end etc. etc.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
finally watching it now! only just got the tv in the living room to myself to do so! will post my thoughts when I finish watching it
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Winter is coming and I'm pretty sure they made references to Others are coming
SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
okay so that was awesome why are they making me wait for more Doctor Who though? are they that evil?? I want more now!
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have loved a lot of Doctor Who episodes, but I genuinely think that was my favourite episode ever. And I've really taken to Clara which is unusual for me because I'm normally really sceptical about the new companions at first because I didn't want the one(s) before to leave! She might well turn out to be my favourite companion ever.

I also like the fact that the Doctor is clearly infatuated with her, whereas usually it's the other way around.

And finally, "it's smaller on the outside" could possibly be one of my greatest Doctor Who lines.

So excited for next year.
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I too loved the staircase into the clouds thing. Excellent.
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
I too loved the staircase into the clouds thing. Excellent.
Hasn't the invisible ladder in the sky thing been done before though or am I thinking of a different program?
Dalek1099
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My theory on Clara,potential spoilers be warned:

Spoiler:
Show
My current theory is that she is a clone and the silence have control of River Song again and can travel in time, with her vortex manipulator making clones of her and they keep dying because the clone matter is unstable.The silence would use the clones of her to draw the doctor in, knowing that the scenario of a person dying twice would intrigue him and the last clone will be sent to a silence institute.In the end, the doctor finds Clara and a whole load of other stuff maybe detailing his whole life-this could link in with the 50th Anniversary and the prophesied fall of the eleventh and the asking of the question "Doctor Who?" by the silence, who after watching the doctor for his whole life still don't know who he is and want top find out.
Colonel.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wait. So who's Clara then?
tneduts46
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
When is the next episode?
laprenti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I enjoyed it, but not for the right reasons.

The ending was ridiculous, but typical doctor who sentimentality so to be expected. We all know by now that Moffat doesn't write stories, but puzzles, and the ending seems strange because the puzzle came first and then a way of desperately trying to justify all the complicated mess was found as an afterthought, but that's alright, to be expected from Moffat at this stage.

I enjoy apathetic doctor, if only because it was a change from narcissistic mad professor/God. The staircase into the clouds was lovely, so was the new Tardis interior. The sontaran and lizard woman/assistant felt a bit shoved into the story and out of place, and they said some pretty corny stuff ('bargains with the universe'?) but whatever, it was well done.

God, the sexual tension between Clara/doctor annoyed me, why? Why must there always be a love interest and flirting for god's sake?

Clara herself is very annoying. I mean at least she's not a carbon copy of Amy, but she's still one dimensional. I can't stand the whole act of "I'm really clever and not afraid of following the strange man and I just stand there when confronted by an aggressive alien worm and threats of memory wipes, I'm just going to stand there and perpetually make witty quips and flirt with people all the time", for god's sake can we have someone normal? A normal person with more than a couple personality traits so that I may identify with them. Because isn't that the whole point of a companion? To have someone you can relate to and imagine being in their shoes, ripped out of your normal life, going off with a brilliant, fascinating man to see the universe. Rose had some of that going for her, Amy didn't really, she was never fleshed out enough and just stood around pouting and having brilliant insights. I want a companion who's not witty, talks like a real person, reacts like a real person, gets muddled up and would never come up with a plan or witty quip in such stressful situations, does not like the idea of having a sexual relationship with an alien God, and, I don't know, has some genuine emotion rather than just sentimentality and some approximations of realistic emotions. I want someone real.

I felt a bit annoyed at the new Moffat puzzle though, I mean what is the point? Why not try to tell a good story to keep me hooked, and not 8294582495 open questions with no possible hints? I mean there's no way to figure anything out because there's literally no information. It's like someone shaking a bit of tinsel at you, "look at the shiny shiny!", in an attempt to get me interested in future stories, rather than the stories themselves being interesting, they're just a vehicle for Moffat's puzzle.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.11%
No - but I will (46)
6.81%
No - I don't want to (50)
7.41%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.67%

Watched Threads