The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Also i enjoyed the multiple outward references - sherlock holmes, game of thrones etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was this game of thrones reference btw? I've obviously missed it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Shengis14
Take it you haven't watched the original seasons I take it?

The snow was a part of the great intelligence, an old one who existed before the creation of the universe, the doctors met it before, twice. Once in a special called the abominable snowman and once in an episode where it tried to destroy London using the underground (hence the underground reference in this Xmas special)

The great intelligence essentially lost its body when it came to this universe and is trying to get another one
I can't remember it's full history off the top of my head, but it'll be on the Internet somewhere.

I've got a feeling (and hope) that the great intelligence will become a more regular villain.

Ah I see, yes you're quite right - I only started it watching halfway through Christopher Ecclestone playing the Doctor. In that case, its pretty cool they're referencing the old series. The London underground references make much more sense now.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Ah I see, yes you're quite right - I only started it watching halfway through Christopher Ecclestone playing the Doctor. In that case, its pretty cool they're referencing the old series. The London underground references make much more sense now.

Me too actually, but I got bored one summer and went on netflix, there's tons of the old ones in there

Reply 9103

I believe the reference was when Dr. Simeon said "Winter is Coming"

Winter is coming, a winter that will never end etc. etc.
finally watching it now! only just got the tv in the living room to myself to do so! will post my thoughts when I finish watching it :smile:

Winter is coming and I'm pretty sure they made references to Others are coming
okay so that was awesome :biggrin: why are they making me wait for more Doctor Who though? are they that evil?? I want more now! :frown:
I have loved a lot of Doctor Who episodes, but I genuinely think that was my favourite episode ever. And I've really taken to Clara which is unusual for me because I'm normally really sceptical about the new companions at first because I didn't want the one(s) before to leave! She might well turn out to be my favourite companion ever.

I also like the fact that the Doctor is clearly infatuated with her, whereas usually it's the other way around.

And finally, "it's smaller on the outside" could possibly be one of my greatest Doctor Who lines.

So excited for next year.
I too loved the staircase into the clouds thing. Excellent.
Original post by Feefifofum
I too loved the staircase into the clouds thing. Excellent.

Hasn't the invisible ladder in the sky thing been done before though or am I thinking of a different program?
My theory on Clara,potential spoilers be warned:

Spoiler

Wait. So who's Clara then?
When is the next episode?
I enjoyed it, but not for the right reasons.

The ending was ridiculous, but typical doctor who sentimentality so to be expected. We all know by now that Moffat doesn't write stories, but puzzles, and the ending seems strange because the puzzle came first and then a way of desperately trying to justify all the complicated mess was found as an afterthought, but that's alright, to be expected from Moffat at this stage.

I enjoy apathetic doctor, if only because it was a change from narcissistic mad professor/God. The staircase into the clouds was lovely, so was the new Tardis interior. The sontaran and lizard woman/assistant felt a bit shoved into the story and out of place, and they said some pretty corny stuff ('bargains with the universe'?) but whatever, it was well done.

God, the sexual tension between Clara/doctor annoyed me, why? Why must there always be a love interest and flirting for god's sake?

Clara herself is very annoying. I mean at least she's not a carbon copy of Amy, but she's still one dimensional. I can't stand the whole act of "I'm really clever and not afraid of following the strange man and I just stand there when confronted by an aggressive alien worm and threats of memory wipes, I'm just going to stand there and perpetually make witty quips and flirt with people all the time", for god's sake can we have someone normal? A normal person with more than a couple personality traits so that I may identify with them. Because isn't that the whole point of a companion? To have someone you can relate to and imagine being in their shoes, ripped out of your normal life, going off with a brilliant, fascinating man to see the universe. Rose had some of that going for her, Amy didn't really, she was never fleshed out enough and just stood around pouting and having brilliant insights. I want a companion who's not witty, talks like a real person, reacts like a real person, gets muddled up and would never come up with a plan or witty quip in such stressful situations, does not like the idea of having a sexual relationship with an alien God, and, I don't know, has some genuine emotion rather than just sentimentality and some approximations of realistic emotions. I want someone real.

I felt a bit annoyed at the new Moffat puzzle though, I mean what is the point? Why not try to tell a good story to keep me hooked, and not 8294582495 open questions with no possible hints? I mean there's no way to figure anything out because there's literally no information. It's like someone shaking a bit of tinsel at you, "look at the shiny shiny!", in an attempt to get me interested in future stories, rather than the stories themselves being interesting, they're just a vehicle for Moffat's puzzle.
Moffatt 'reasonably confident' that there will be a Doctor Who movie...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/doctor-writer-confirms-movie-112052082.html

Not sure how I feel about this :/

I have a BAD feeling about this. Although I guess a double parter is the length of a short movie. But I resent having to pay for it, and it annoys me because where would it fit in plot etc.
Hasn't that already happened in a way, Paul McGann's sole appearance? Granted only a TV movie, but still...

With a few exceptions, Moffat has ruined Doctor Who. :mad:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Hasn't that already happened in a way, Paul McGann's sole appearance? Granted only a TV movie, but still...

Yes, it has, but this is the first time it's been 'confirmed' (well, strongly hinted at) since the 2005 reboot. There have been rumours of them doing it again for a few years but nothing this concrete.

Original post by greeneyedgirl
I have a BAD feeling about this. Although I guess a double parter is the length of a short movie. But I resent having to pay for it, and it annoys me because where would it fit in plot etc.

More Who = good! But I too resent having to pay for it. I can't imagine they will do anything to mess with the plot of the main series, they know that would annoy the fans too much. When they did peculiar things in the old film it didn't matter quite as much since there wasn't a series running at the time.

The thing that worries me most is that they might do something like the last series of Torchwood - when the money comes from America, then it gets made into an American version of the show. Doctor Who would not work as an American show, it is quintessentially British and to change that would be a great disservice to the programme, in my eyes.

Latest