Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    I honestly think winning Europa League has to be a priority this year, because doesn't the EL winner get a CL spot next season?
    I think it's still very 50/50. We're only 5 points off 4th and 7 points off 3rd with 16 games to go (we play all our competitors to top4 all again too).

We still have 9 games in the Europa League (4 rounds of 2 legs + the final) so it's not something we can win just because we want to. Lot of good sides still in the Europa League.

I think Rodgers will see where we are (assuming we get through R32 against Besiktas) after 4 March when we play Burnley. We play West Ham, Everton, Spurs, Southampton and Man City then Burnley.

We could easily fall away after that run of games so then we can focus on the Europa League. However if we win a lot of those, we suddenly look a better bet for 4th (with 10 games to go).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Talk of Lucas wanting the move to Inter. I don't buy that.

His reaction to Lambert's winner on Saturday, throwing himself into the fans, was NOT a player who wants to leave Anfield imo. He was excellent again on Saturday, and he may not have his former ability to impose himself on a match for 90 minutes, but he gives us a calmness and a understated nature to our midfield which is crucial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Talk of Lucas wanting the move to Inter. I don't buy that.

His reaction to Lambert's winner on Saturday, throwing himself into the fans, was NOT a player who wants to leave Anfield imo. He was excellent again on Saturday, and he may not have his former ability to impose himself on a match for 90 minutes, but he gives us a calmness and a understated nature to our midfield which is crucial.
    Lucas and Henderson look great together imo. Think Rodgers will refuse to let him go in January. Who knows in the summer but I think Lucas will stay if the manager wants to keep him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You starting to lose faith in him or believe he won't stay too long?
    Starting to lose faith. Only positive is, that when **** is going wrong, he reacts to it and makes changes. If he plays 3-5-2 against Cambridge, then you can imagine many United fans will begin to turn against him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Lucas and Henderson look great together imo. Think Rodgers will refuse to let him go in January. Who knows in the summer but I think Lucas will stay if the manager wants to keep him.
    Rodgers has already confirmed he doesn't want Lucas to go this window.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by realcloud)
    Liverpool will not make top 4 I can guarantee that!

Top 4:
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Arsenal

Liverpool fans are deluded

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're deluded if you think United will finish ahead of Arsenal tbh.

Arsenals fixture list til the end of the season is very nice. Can see them getting 72-74 easily. United may get 70 but unlikely to get much more.

Liverpool are in for around 64. Factoring in Sturridge they could get high 60s but can't see much better being in all competitions as well remember. Therefore outsiders is the term for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    They wanted 19m for bony last season. Considering Welbeck and Ballotelli went for 16m was it really such a bad price?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, 19m is what we offered. It was rejected. If they wanted the amount City paid for him then they can **** off, he's not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    You're deluded if you think United will finish ahead of Arsenal tbh.

Arsenals fixture list til the end of the season is very nice. Can see them getting 72-74 easily. United may get 70 but unlikely to get much more.

Liverpool are in for around 64. Factoring in Sturridge they could get high 60s but can't see much better being in all competitions as well remember. Therefore outsiders is the term for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's a troll. Posted the same post on all the threads but with a different arrangement
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Be interesting to see how Rodgers sets up with Chelsea.

We are by far a better side than the one they beat a couple of months ago at Anfield, but they are coming in full of confidence, too. I'd be surprised if we didn't see Markovic start. Makes sense to go for it at Anfield, and maybe bring in Manquillo at RWB for Stamford Bridge, or Johnson, given his past form against his former club.

I don't think we'll see a change of system - although, I wouldn't mind us going to a midfield three of Henderson, Lucas and Can. That way, Can can impose himself on Matic - who will certainly be a game-changing influence for them. It's 180 minutes of football, and Chelsea won't win all four trophies, so we may as well go for it.

Here's hoping for a great tie and one in which we can express ourselves, no matter what the result.

ReputationRep:
    Be interesting to see how Rodgers sets up with Chelsea.

We are by far a better side than the one they beat a couple of months ago at Anfield, but they are coming in full of confidence, too. I'd be surprised if we didn't see Markovic start. Makes sense to go for it at Anfield, and maybe bring in Manquillo at RWB for Stamford Bridge, or Johnson, given his past form against his former club.

I don't think we'll see a change of system - although, I wouldn't mind us going to a midfield three of Henderson, Lucas and Can. That way, Can can impose himself on Matic - who will certainly be a game-changing influence for them. It's 180 minutes of football, and Chelsea won't win all four trophies, so we may as well go for it.

Here's hoping for a great tie and one in which we can express ourselves, no matter what the result.
    I can see you guys holding Chelsea to a draw at Anfield. I dont know why but its just a gut feeling. Think you guys will get hammered at Stamford Bridge though. If you make it to the final, then you have pretty much won the COC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    I can see you guys holding Chelsea to a draw at Anfield. I dont know why but its just a gut feeling. Think you guys will get hammered at Stamford Bridge though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A lot of it comes down to bravery and how good our personnel are on the day.

Rodgers has some big calls to make. Manquillo over Markovic makes sense, given that Hazard is so good getting forward, and Can can be deployed in midfield to give us a bit of added physicality, but that will mean a change of system. A lot for him to figure out.

We shall see!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it comes down to bravery and how good our personnel are on the day.

Rodgers has some big calls to make. Manquillo over Markovic makes sense, given that Hazard is so good getting forward, and Can can be deployed in midfield to give us a bit of added physicality, but that will mean a change of system. A lot for him to figure out.

We shall see!
    Yeah agreed. The Liverpool players have to believe they can get a result against Chelsea. Spurs took Chelsea apart at WHL and theres no reason why Liverpool cant look to do the same. Although catching Chelsea on an off day (like Spurs did) is quite rare. Mourinho loves the Capital One Cup/Carling Cup. Hasnt he already won it like 2/3 times?

Its an exciting match and one that i will enjoy as a neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce)
    Yeah agreed. The Liverpool players have to believe they can get a result against Chelsea. Spurs took Chelsea apart at WHL and theres no reason why Liverpool cant look to do the same. Although catching Chelsea on an off day (like Spurs did) is quite rare. Mourinho loves the Capital One Cup/Carling Cup. Hasnt he already won it like 2/3 times?

Its an exciting match and one that i will enjoy as a neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah he's got a decent history in it, he's won it twice I think?

We need to treat the match as 180 minutes - it'll be tough to overcome them at Anfield, let alone over two legs. Here's hoping.

ReputationRep:
    well then, looks like we aren't getting Origi in early this month (not that he would've turned around our season).

i kinda thought when rodgers said it would be "quiet", he was just trying to take the attention off us so we wouldn't get our deals hijacked by the london clubs (as usual).
    looks like he was telling the truth - no real links with anybody; more news of players going out than in.

still time to go but this is disappointing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    well then, looks like we aren't getting Origi in early this month (not that he would've turned around our season).

i kinda thought when rodgers said it would be "quiet", he was just trying to take the attention off us so we wouldn't get our deals hijacked by the london clubs (as usual).
    looks like he was telling the truth - no real links with anybody; more news of players going out than in.

still time to go but this is disappointing.
    Origi needs to stay at Lille.

The only benefit of bringing him in would be bedding him into the squad/English football early, but it's an ill-judged call imo.

He needs to stay at Lille and recapture a bit of goalscoring ability. He hasn't scored since mid-October, has he? And he just got booed by Lille fans for missing a penalty. He needs time on the pitch, not time in the stands/bench and having to embed himself in a new culture.

ReputationRep:
    After we spent quite a bit in the summer, I didn't expect us to make any signings this window. I dunno why people are acting so surprised. Maybe a cheap keeper at best. FFP n **** people.

Agreed with Mackay, Origi seems to be playing no better than our current crop of strikers, there is absolutely no benefit in bringing him in now.

ReputationRep:
    Let's not forget that Origi is only 19 too. Same as age Ibe who's been at Liverpool longer and played in England too. You can see the logic in recalling one but not both. Ibe worked out cheaper and would probably have gotten lesser quality football at Derby over Lille?

FFP needs to be changed so that every club can spend up to the same as the revenues that the top club makes. It would stop the Chelsea/Man City scenario but it would still mean that a small club could make it into mid-sized or challenge for top 4. The owners would also need to put the money in as equity and not debt too - this would stop clubs going bankrupt.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    FFP needs to be changed so that every club can spend up to the same as the revenues that the top club makes. It would stop the Chelsea/Man City scenario but it would still mean that a small club could make it into mid-sized or challenge for top 4. The owners would also need to put the money in as equity and not debt too - this would stop clubs going bankrupt.
    FFP is a joke.

Biggest question mark which came from it for me was when Abramovich backed it. It's a way of keeping the status quo so clubs can't compete above their UEFA-designated station.

ReputationRep:
    FFP is a joke.

Biggest question mark which came from it for me was when Abramovich backed it. It's a way of keeping the status quo so clubs can't compete above their UEFA-designated station.
    Well I think RA quickly realised that Chelsea's revenues are the 3rd biggest in England and therefore they can remain competitive without others getting a sugar daddy boost to challenge. Bet he wasn't happy when Man City came along..

I can see the logic further down since so many clubs around the Championship have gone bust/administration but it could have been worked better imo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well I think RA quickly realised that Chelsea's revenues are the 3rd biggest in England and therefore they can remain competitive without others getting a sugar daddy boost to challenge. Bet he wasn't happy when Man City came along..
    Well, this is the thing, isn't it?

Mourinho's money jibes at Manchester City hint at a paranoia down there anyway. They certainly aren't happy at all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.