Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    Is it very hard to change courses whist at uni?
    It's harder than trying to do it now, might not be possible at all.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vicky.m)
    voted on the poll expecting ABC and got ABB! (plus a C in sociology which i stopped caring about 8 months ago)
    Congrats! I was wondering how predictions were against real grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i got two C's in my AS levels, (my third subject has all its exams next year), can i still recoverr

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to do. I just got my AS results and I got these results:

Media AQA: B
    Product Design AQA: C
    Geography AQA: D

I am really not happy with geography and my media coursework mark went down by 10 marks after exam board moderation. I have been advised to stay and continue with these alevels at my sixth form and to retake the geography unit 1 paper next year as this is what dragged me down.

Is this the right pathway, do you think I can succed with getting A BB next year if I put lot's of work in?

ReputationRep:
    SOAS
    From English to law
    It's not always as difficult as you think. The hard part is getting into the university, not switching between courses. Ring up and ask or drop them an email!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by angoranimi)
    A*AB...any chance of medicine or nah? I didn't apply last year so I'm applying this year
    It will be very difficult unless you retake the B, but even then your options may be limited. :sadnod:
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beanmaker)
    Someone help
    I.t - c
    Business - b
    R.e - e
    What shall I do
    AS RESULTS
    I wanted to go to a Russell group uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You could retake the year? Or retake the R.E, and you could be predicted A and B in IT and Business.

SOAS
    From English to law
    You would need to contact them directly.

(Original post by Emilypickett)
    Got AAAB in psychology, sociology, biology and maths (dropping maths next year). I'm SO happy that I can apply to the unis I want to!
    Well done! :woo: :party: :woo:

(Original post by Naveed Rahman)
    I was 3 ums marks off a B which i NEED for a place at my firm (Southampton) Got a priority remark. I hope it is worth it tbh!
    Have you called Southampton to let you know that you are getting a remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMathsMan)
    Yes absolutely ... I went from 75 UMS in C2 in AS to 95 UMS in retake ... C2 is extremely easier when you retake because it ties in well with the other A2 units.
    Thank you, is it worth doing it though, like will it give me a better chance at an A overall at A2 ? And was it a lot of work doing C2 in year 13 ?

ReputationRep:
    You can, but also be aware that the remark could go down.[/QUOTE]
    Think I might go for it because even if I do get marked down by a couple of marks I'll still have the B, but I'm not too sure about the current remark system😭 Apparently you have to spot a mistake in the marking first?!
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TS21)
    i got two C's in my AS levels, (my third subject has all its exams next year), can i still recoverr

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can still recover, yep :yep: . You would be expected to get B's overall with those marks, so if you retook an exam or two, you could push those predictions up to A

(Original post by dawideksoltysik)

I am really not happy with geography and my media coursework mark went down by 10 marks after exam board moderation. I have been advised to stay and continue with these alevels at my sixth form and to retake the geography unit 1 paper next year as this is what dragged me down.

Is this the right pathway, do you think I can succed with getting A BB next year if I put lot's of work in?
    That is the right pathway, yep, in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffKate)
    First, well done. They may not have been what you were expecting, but they're definitely good enough to see you to university.

You are genuinely keenly interested in QMUL, so set yourself up somewhere quiet with good phone reception and be ready to sell yourself (in a clam and collected manner!). There is no harm in calling them up.
    Make sure you have your UCAS Track/Clearing numbers to hand before you call. They will want to know your grades and will most likely give you the same answer they already have at this point, but you can ask to be kept in consideration or 'on hold' in case they have spaces available closer to the end of the Clearing period (which differs by university and each Clearing period).

If you get chance reiterate all the positives you have mentioned in your personal statement and and other extras you think may be relevant.

Finally, depending on the outcome of that call, don't be too disheartened. You have a solid set of grades and there is no reason you won't still be able to call around other unis (in addition to your insurance choice) and re-evaluate.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with this. Go get 'em!
    Thanks again for the reply. Well my insurance is now unconditional, it's just that I really want to go to QMUL since I have friends there and already made new friends who are going there on the internet! It's just heart breaking.

Thank you

ReputationRep:

You can absolutely succeed if you put your mind to it. These results are not bad.
    The first thing I would do is ask to get your geog paper back so you and your teacher can look over it and pinpoint what went wrong.
    This does look like a sensible pathway to me. What alternatives are you considering?
    • PS Reviewer
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mia66)
    You can, but also be aware that the remark could go down.
    Think I might go for it because even if I do get marked down by a couple of marks I'll still have the B, but I'm not too sure about the current remark system😭 Apparently you have to spot a mistake in the marking first?![/QUOTE]

That's something you will need to speak to your exams officer about. They'll know all about remarks

ReputationRep:

it all depends on how hard you work, really don't let those grades linger around if you know you can and will do better! they don't mean anything to what you could get next year

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAC - As in English, History and Psychology, and the C in German
    I was expecting to get a low mark in German but I really wasn't expecting a high mark in psych - I've decided I'm gonna drop german instead of psych now, which completely changes my plans!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffKate)
    It's not always as difficult as you think. The hard part is getting into the university, not switching between courses. Ring up and ask or drop them an email!
    Basically they offered me and english course but I really want to do law. Problem is if I enrol in english.....what if i can't change to law

ReputationRep:
    My grades were not great or expected, but I got ABC and somehow Warwick still accepted me for an AAB course?

Warwick have been quite lenient this year.
    Did anyone apply to Warwick and missed their grades but still got in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis;67028338?)

Have you called Southampton to let you know that you are getting a remark?
    Yes, I called them and emailed them a very heartfelt email about how much I wish to study there haha!
    But hopefully I get the marks I need from the remark and can be accepted into the Uni on the basis of my grades not how much I begged them ahah.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot to everybody here for their help and assistance. Despite my huge sadness and gutting results of CDD, with your help and a lot of witty phone calls, I managed to secure a place for Computer Science BSc at Goldsmiths UoL! That's normally an entry requirement of ABB!Thanks guys, I finally feel a lot better, and can smile again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Have your firm uni given you a timescale or a deadline as to when you need to accept or reject their offer?

I wouldn't call up the uni because I'd be thinking (whilst I'm phoning them, they could be phoning me). I'd wait just for now and hear from the other uni you want to go to.

How long as it been? Give it at least 30 mins then phone again.
    Nope they haven't.

Last time I called the other uni was around 9am and that was already the second time I called them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.