Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
flugelr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
But recycling boats that are already in use, or were recently, won't add to the industry; it merely keeps it going at its current level, and is part of the natural order.
The point is that a significant number, maybe even a majority, of boats fishing in Scottish waters are not Scottish boats.

If we left the EU the number of boats in Scottish waters would drop dramatically. Buying or leasing old boats would be relatively easy, given the number of EU boats who rely on Scottish waters and would suddenly have their income source cut off.

Would the number of boats go back to the current level? Maybe, the difference is that they would be crewed by Scots, rather than Belgians or Dutch.

Building more boats won't be easy as the shipbuilding industry probably won't be able to cope, and the window of opportunity is likely to be too short to justify the investment - payback would be measured over at least ten or twenty years.

This is a very good point but won't give anything other than a temporary boost, as things will return to the status quo ante when iScotland enters the EU. Finding crews for such a relatively short time may not work if the candidates have other jobs.
True enough.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
The point is that a significant number, maybe even a majority, of boats fishing in Scottish waters are not Scottish boats.

If we left the EU the number of boats in Scottish waters would drop dramatically. Buying or leasing old boats would be relatively easy, given the number of EU boats who rely on Scottish waters and would suddenly have their income source cut off.

Would the number of boats go back to the current level? Maybe, the difference is that they would be crewed by Scots, rather than Belgians or Dutch.

True enough.
I see where you're going with this. We can all be fishermen. Not going to happen.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An interesting article. It seems even members if the SNP are beginning to question Salmond on Europe now.

http://caronlindsay.wordpress.com/20...eu-membership/
flugelr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
I see where you're going with this. We can all be fishermen. Not going to happen.
Course we can't all be fishermen.

However, I'm willing to admit there may be an element of, "ah the good old days" to my Euroscepticism.
skunkboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
What do Scottish people need freedom from, Braveheart?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Braveheart is just imaginations on screen. Scottish people want real freedom... from the UK leader.

The UK leader prefers centralization to decentralization?

Posted from TSR Mobile
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skunkboy)
Braveheart is just imaginations on screen. Scottish people want real freedom... from the UK leader.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yet ironically wit further devolution already happening, the SNP have removed many powers from councils and centralised power at Holyrood.

Funny that. Didn't we have a devolved government set up a few years ago.

The opposite of what you've said is actually the case.
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by skunkboy)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evidence? Oh, and the UK leader is technically Lizzie II who the Yes campaign want to keep as head of state for solely populist reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tcovington
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So with the upcoming vote on independence in Scotland there is a lot of conflicting opinions on the subject. If someone chooses to answer this question plus only use facts instead of what you think or hope. Thank you.

The question is will UK visas be valid in an independent Scotland. I'm asking for Non-EU members, EU members, and EEA members. I can't seem to get in contact with the UKI I think it is now and the international student advisor doesn't seem to understand that n independent Scotland is no longer apart of the UK to give me any type of reasonable answer. Any thoughts
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you were in Scotland on a UK visa at the time of independence your visa would be valid until it runs out, as Scotland was in the UK at the time you got it.

After it ran out, or if you arrived after independence, you would need to apply for a Scottish visa under Scotland's immigration rules whatever they are at the time.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tcovington)
So with the upcoming vote on independence in Scotland there is a lot of conflicting opinions on the subject. If someone chooses to answer this question plus only use facts instead of what you think or hope. Thank you.

The question is will UK visas be valid in an independent Scotland. I'm asking for Non-EU members, EU members, and EEA members. I can't seem to get in contact with the UKI I think it is now and the international student advisor doesn't seem to understand that n independent Scotland is no longer apart of the UK to give me any type of reasonable answer. Any thoughts
The answer is 'nobody knows.'
polscistudent88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely they would be considered as valid, even just to avoid the mess that would result from invalidating all of them at once. Anyways, nobody really knows what would happen once they expire or for new visas (or for EU, EEA members).
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fact is no one knows because these things will only be worked out if Scotland actually does vote for independence.

I wouldn't worry about it and just continue as normal. There's so many things that would be affected by Scottish independence, you can't put everything on hold in case it goes ahead.
flugelr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
New poll from YouGov/Channel4 out today:
YES - 37%
NO - 51%
D/K - 12%

http://www.channel4.com/news/scotlan...poll-exclusive
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flugelr)
New poll from YouGov/Channel4 out today:
YES - 37%
NO - 51%
D/K - 12%

http://www.channel4.com/news/scotlan...poll-exclusive
Curious as to why this is giving such a decisive result compared to other polls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-27247870

The truth over iScotland's likely credit rating is out. I wonder how long it will be before the SNP accuses Moody's of bullying.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-27247870

The truth over iScotland's likely credit rating is out. I wonder how long it will be before the SNP accuses Moody's of bullying.
There's also the SNP MEP saying that Salmond should admit he's got it wrong on the EU.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/trouble-i...hip-39589.html
flugelr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Article in the P&J today about a spat between Labour and the SNP. The SNP want to raid the North East Scotland Pension Fund so they can use the money for other projects. Kinda ironic that they always whinge about not having an oil fund, but where there is a fund they want to divert it for other uses:
https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...77529372_n.jpg
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Curious as to why this is giving such a decisive result compared to other polls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Possibly because YouGov has consistently had NO well ahead.

YouGov has had NO on 52 or 53 in each of their last 7 polls.
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boab)
Possibly because YouGov has consistently had NO well ahead.

YouGov has had NO on 52 or 53 in each of their last 7 polls.
Are they seeing something the other polls aren't or is their sampling somewhat flawed?
Boab
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are they seeing something the other polls aren't or is their sampling somewhat flawed?
No idea. Best to average them all together imho.

A quick browse suggests women are oversampled.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed