Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    That post is worthy of winning the Bellen D'Or

(I'm just stealing these from 442oons, but it was mega lols seeing Utd finish 7th and even the 3 defeats in a row have rustled jimmies again)
    Someone made it on here last year, made my brain hurt tbh. We are ****e at the moment yes but I've always known that, sucks we have a deluded fanbase though (nowhere near as bad as Arsenal).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    lol.. pretty terrbiel, but then arsenal fans do always come out in force for an online poll

Even just with the PL teams, it would be a hard call to put them third. Uniteds treble team would top it for me, but then its much closer between: invincables, chelsea 04-05, and the united side that won it 3 times in a row around 2006-9
    Arsenal Invincibles the best PL season ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Yeah having this year's Chelsea over 05 is pretty stupid. I don't remember 09-10 Chelsea being particularly good though? Only narrowly finished above a United team that had an injury hit defence and had just lost Ronaldo and Tevez.
    They were entertaining which is probably why they were nominated. Over 100 league goals and they won loads of matches 4-0+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    Arsenal Invincibles the best PL season ever.
    Statistically not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Shed End)
    Statistically not.
    But have they got this though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    But have they got this though?

Got either of these?

ReputationRep:
    Think alot of people fail to realise just how touch and go Utd's treble was. Bergkamp missed a pen that would have sorted the Cup and we missed out on the last day of the season for the title whilst everyone knows about how flukey Bayern was. By no means did Utd sweep all before them.

Tbh the Arsenal 1999 side was just as good if not better. World class back 5 then Vieira, Bergkamp + the likes of Overmars/Anelka who soon left for Barca/Real for a combined £50m(a huge huge sum at that time actually).

That's not to take away from the achievement, just judging the quality of that side with clear eyes. Utd 2008 were Fergie's best ever and arguably the overall best imo.

ReputationRep:
    Got either of these?

Did this ***** really use the Europa League in his argument? Chelsea up there with the big boys of Shaktar Donetsk, Parma, Feyernoord, Zenit and the mighty Ipswich Town...

ReputationRep:
    Statistically not.
    Depends on which variable you put the most weight on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Did this ***** really use the Europa League in his argument? Chelsea up there with the big boys of Shaktar Donetsk, Parma, Feyernoord, Zenit and the mighty Ipswich Town...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/9342035.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/9148885.stm

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Think alot of people fail to realise just how touch and go Utd's treble was. Bergkamp missed a pen that would have sorted the Cup and we missed out on the last day of the season for the title whilst everyone knows about how flukey Bayern was. By no means did Utd sweep all before them.

Tbh the Arsenal 1999 side was just as good if not better. World class back 5 then Vieira, Bergkamp + the likes of Overmars/Anelka who soon left for Barca/Real for a combined £50m(a huge huge sum at that time actually).

That's not to take away from the achievement, just judging the quality of that side with clear eyes. Utd 2008 were Fergie's best ever and arguably the overall best imo.
    I remember those two sides well and there wasn't much between them, if Bergkamp had scored that penalty they'd have probably ended up winning the double double that's how thin the margins were. We both had really long unbeaten runs in the league but Arsenal lost away to Leeds in the penultimate game of the season which is what won us the league. The Arsenal side that year only conceded 18 goals in the league I believe which only Mourinho's Chelsea have ever been able to match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leinad2012)
    Feijenoord also have the CL

And the Uefa cup was once very much worth winning, not any more though. And tbh, Arsenal fans cant deny that we've heavily underachieved in European Football. 1 CWC and then losing the final of the CL, UC and CWC again is well below parity for a club of Arsenal's tradition and domestic success. We should have at least 1 CL really

ReputationRep:
    Just call it 1-1 in this **** waving contest.

Christ, people care more about the past than the present, and this is coming from a ****ing Leeds fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I remember those two sides well and there wasn't much between them, if Bergkamp had scored that penalty they'd have probably ended up winning the double double that's how thin the margins were. We both had really long unbeaten runs in the league but Arsenal lost away to Leeds in the penultimate game of the season which is what won us the league. The Arsenal side that year only conceded 18 goals in the league I believe which only Mourinho's Chelsea have ever been able to match.
    Back before Roman's Oil money when it all made sense

:moon:

Cant say I remember much of the football back then, even though I was going to alot of games, but I do remember losing to Leeds and being gutted. Leeds were always a bit of a bogey side for Arsenal actually.

ReputationRep:

Hahaha, nice, now let's look at the reverse fixtures of both of those:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/9102089.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...up/9371217.stm

I was at the Ipswich game, and fondly remember the chant of "3-0, even Bendtner scored..."

ReputationRep:
    Got either of these?

We didn't win the CL because of Wenger. We haven't even had the chance with another manager but when we do we will win it no doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Actually brah, you're right, Zenit are a decent team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_UEFA_Super_Cup

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/7584103.stm
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Back before Roman's Oil money when it all made sense

:moon:

Cant say I remember much of the football back then, even though I was going to alot of games, but I do remember losing to Leeds and being gutted. Leeds were always a bit of a bogey side for Arsenal actually.
    Our CL group that year had Barcelona and Bayern Munich in it. Seems unbelievable when you think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Except I'm not the one disregarding them though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceyFish)
    Except I'm not the one disregarding them though :confused:
    Are you honestly saying a competition where to win it you have to be knocked out of the CL Group, or have a **** season in the league the previous year is a success? It's like saying one of two things, either "look guys, we were **** in the league last season and are pathetic enough to care about this mickey mouse tournament", or "hey guys, we couldn't even get past the likes of Shaktar Doneskt or Basel in our Group stage so now we're off to mug off the mighty Budapest in front of a sell-out crowd of 8,000 in the mighty 2nd tier of European football"....

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 12, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.