Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    From what I've seen so far it's just a way for people to massage their egos, and those people tend to be the ones on the left that care about their meaningless titles.

There is little info on there, it's set up terribly with most people not even linked, even if they are one of the few that have stroked their ego and made a page.

To say this has been going on for some time it seems just like the MEU

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was only created yesterday you know... And there are an even number of left and right people on there from what I've seen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    It was only created yesterday you know... And there are an even number of left and right people on there from what I've seen.
    Funnily enough it wasn't created yesterday, it was made public yesterday after some people found it. From what I have seen the pages with actual content are lefties and Hazzer, it's people who massage their egos and like to have meaningless titles. The vast majority I've seen for those on the right have minimal information in the block on yje right and any text they have basically just says that again.

Although Hazzer's is pretty funny, moderate my arse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the wikia in general will be good because anyone can edit it, unlike the TSR wiki where we have to wait months for just the new speaker to get permission. I don't see the point of everyone having their own wiki page though..

Also the logo is ugly as ****, just saying.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cBay)
    I think the wikia in general will be good because anyone can edit it,
    I'm waiting for vandalism and things becoming even more subjective than they already are.

Agreed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by cBay)
    I think the wikia in general will be good because anyone can edit it, unlike the TSR wiki where we have to wait months for just the new speaker to get permission. I don't see the point of everyone having their own wiki page though..

That's the worst thing about it. People shouldn't write their own history.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In other news there is great news for the winters of the next few years (no guarantee but a good sign) which is that solar activity is the weakest since 2010 and solar flux is diving through the floor. This suggests that the new solar minimum is more or less here.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Funnily enough it wasn't created yesterday, it was made public yesterday after some people found it. From what I have seen the pages with actual content are lefties and Hazzer, it's people who massage their egos and like to have meaningless titles. The vast majority I've seen for those on the right have minimal information in the block on yje right and any text they have basically just says that again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Looks like I'm about to agree with JD on something. Though I'm not going to go as far as condemning everyone with a page.

This is a massive ego trip though. Everything with even the hint of subjectivity will be biased (did Cran need to write on Dan's own page how many votes he beat Dan by in the Chair election? did Fez need to write that QQ's leadership win was so surprising?) and the rest won't be kept up-to-date.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    That's the worst thing about it. People shouldn't write their own history.
    I remember once having to edit your own after being flabbergasted at the rubbish i'd read. All those occasions when i'd beaten you to government were described as times that you'd 'chosen' not to be in government.

I'm content with somebody neutral writing it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Looks like I'm about to agree with JD on something. Though I'm not going to go as far as condemning everyone with a page.

This is a massive ego trip though. Everything with even the hint of subjectivity will be biased (did Cran need to write on Dan's own page how many votes he beat Dan by in the Chair election? did Fez need to write that QQ's leadership win was so surprising?) and the rest won't be kept up-to-date.
    I'm not condemning all of them, just what we've seen so far, which will be all of them. I know mobbsy has already done some work touching up, but the vandalism has already started, people not using VPNs are opening themselves to attacks, and I expect within a week Aph's page will just be crap from both sides, myself and Nigel, and some others, will have had pages made saying how awful we are, and there will be gender wars if S ever gets a page

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I remember once having to edit your own after being flabbergasted at the rubbish i'd read. All those occasions when i'd beaten you to government were described as times that you'd 'chosen' not to be in government.

I'm content with somebody neutral writing it.
    When you say 'mine' I assume you mean 'Labour's'? I've never had the pleasure of competing against you to form a government.

The current wiki, edited by the Speaker - who can be complained to and petitioned in ATS - is the closest we'll get and the best option. I'd like to think I could be neutral. But don't intend to have to be.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is petros or mobbsy left wing?
    And I assumed it was made yesterday as there has been nothing to the contrary said.
    (Original post by cBay)

Agreed.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not condemning all of them, just what we've seen so far, which will be all of them. I know mobbsy has already done some work touching up, but the vandalism has already started, people not using VPNs are opening themselves to attacks, and I expect within a week Aph's page will just be crap from both sides, myself and Nigel, and some others, will have had pages made saying how awful we are, and there will be gender wars if S ever gets a page

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good point.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    To be fair currently the only locked pages we have are the hansards and constitution/GD on TSR. So vandalism is already possible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Is petros or mobbsy left wing?
    And I assumed it was made yesterday as there has been nothing to the contrary said.

Agreed.
    Petros, yeah, mobbsy, doesn't have an ego trip in there, it pretty much rewrites the side bar with a little extra in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If people start going to the wikia to have digs at people, they are even more pathetic than I thought.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When you say 'mine' I assume you mean 'Labour's'? I've never had the pleasure of competing against you to form a government.

The current wiki, edited by the Speaker - who can be complained to and petitioned in ATS - is the closest we'll get and the best option. I'd like to think I could be neutral. But don't intend to have to be.
    Yes. If there's one thing thing i've learnt over the years here its that coalition battles are about 10% policy, 30% election results and 60% people. Members will vote for a coalition based on whether they think their partners MP's are complete asses more than whether they agree on the best regulatory banking framework.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cBay)
    If people start going to the wikia to have digs at people, they are even more pathetic than I thought.
    Can you link me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    There have been a few occasions of where members have taken the piss a bit on some member's pages, but if certain member's pages get targeted constantly, they can be locked, once the relevant info is put in, and changes can then be added as and when necessary.

From my opinion of it, it's meant to be a bit of fun, have extra info to the TSR wiki (member's pages etc...), whilst being factually correct. That's why anyone can edit pages, so if someone sees something incorrect, they can change it. People can also just say they don't want a page 'of themselves' and it can be removed...
    cBay I made that logo (you can see my total artistic talent )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Can you link me?
    I've not seen anything, was mostly just referring to Jammy's post 9129
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    From what I've seen so far it's just a way for people to massage their egos, and those people tend to be the ones on the left that care about their meaningless titles.

There is little info on there, it's set up terribly with most people not even linked, even if they are one of the few that have stroked their ego and made a page.

To say this has been going on for some time it seems just like the MEU

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Going to address your points.

It's up to people how much detail they put onto their own page. My page is generally very detailed as I like to procrastinate and it helps me remember dates.

There was a handful of us that started it. You can't criticise us for lack of information when it's only just been made public. As a team we've carried it as far as we could on our own but it's impossible for us to complete it alone in a short space of time.

Most people aren't linked as they haven't got pages yet. As soon as they have pages the links automatically go in. It's [[pagename]] in the source editor.

It's been going on and off for about a month. People have lives and I'm happy with the foundation we've set.

There is a suggestions page linked on the home page. If there are things you think are missing I suggest you post them there.

It's a bit of fun - why so serious?

-------

On people messing with pages, I can see and review every edit, reverse then and lock pages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.