Official LSE Applicants+Decisions 2009 Watch

This discussion is closed.
apa123
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Economic Historian 1)
And in response to your question, you hire people who have amassed the right skill set because of their degrees. People can attain these without the degree, yes, but the degree is one of the best indicators of such qualitative information, before the interview process.
I cant say I agree with you there. Look at all those people from oxbridge with degrees in music etc that get into IB. I have no first hand experience from that particular type of work but from i have heard you really dont use the knowledge from your uni studies at all. It is a lot more about intelligence and social abilities.

But yes, i agree with your second point. However, if AF people can land interviews, then they should have the same chance as econ people to get the job...

Isnt the lse application process the same thing? I mean, A-level and IB people should have a "better set of skills" than, say, swedish or norwegian high school diplomas but that alone doenst mean that they are better or more likely to succeed at the lse...
VanillaLatte
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
anyone heard anything today??? i certainly didn't ...
JohnKennedy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apa123)
Look at all those people from oxbridge with degrees in music etc that get into IB
Which people? With huge demand for banking jobs, I find it quite unprobable that music graduates would get jobs in the financial sector, especially now that banks are cutting back on recruitment.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by apa123)
I cant say I agree with you there. Look at all those people from oxbridge with degrees in music etc that get into IB. I have no first hand experience from that particular type of work but from i have heard you really dont use the knowledge from your uni studies at all. It is a lot more about intelligence and social abilities.

But yes, i agree with your second point. However, if AF people can land interviews, then they should have the same chance as econ people to get the job...

Isnt the lse application process the same thing? I mean, A-level and IB people should have a "better set of skills" than, say, swedish or norwegian high school diplomas but that alone doenst mean that they are better or more likely to succeed at the lse...
Oxbridge, particularly Oxford, is a league of it's own when it comes to networking and the so called 'old-boys network'. As, to lesser extent, is LSE. But yes I agree with you to a point- the degree is less relevant, but it should be so that those who chose to take the harder, more competitive option of Economics, get greater rewards...we do live in a meritocratic society after all :tongue:
Yes, of course, if they get an interview the questions raised upon their degree are then irrelevant.
But swedish/norweigen students have no choice- A&Fers choose not to do Economics- and they do sit extra LSE papers to prove they are just as capable. I have nothing against A&Fers that eventually decide to go into IB, fair play, but against those who seemingly chicken out of Economics based applications, already knowing they're going to use A&F as a view to IB.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's no wonder LSE is now almost synonymous with Investment Banking lol and known as 'a nursery of Investment Bankers' since even in an applicants thread, almost everyone has some sort of interest in IB as a future career! :tongue:
In fact it's about time someone made some link between LSE and IB!
How many of you on here would like to go into IB? Lol be honest... :tongue:
jakehoward1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's no wonder LSE is now almost synonymous with Investment Banking lol and known as 'a nursery of Investment Bankers' since even in an applicants thread, almost everyone has some sort of interest in IB as a future career! :tongue:

:woo:

dont know what they do but yeahhhhhhhh

:yep:
dramaminedreams
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'll be honest. I have thought about IB for a long time, on and off. But overall, it is not the career for me. Too much politics. If anything I don't think they get paid enough for the work most IBers put in. A hedge fund on the other hand..
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dramaminedreams)
I'll be honest. I have thought about IB for a long time, on and off. But overall, it is not the career for me. Too much politics. If anything I don't think they get paid enough for the work most IBers put in. A hedge fund on the other hand..
:yep: same lol :tongue:
Although you'd have to be someone really special and lucky to get into a top hedge fund right after uni, without working as an IB first :tongue:
Hence, I want to be an IB, first . Which in itself isn't exactly a walk in the park LOL!

Which one of the LSE degrees would in your opinion be best for those with a view to working in a top Hedge Fund?
JohnKennedy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Economic Historian, you may be glad to hear that I don't plan on going into investment banking despite the fact that i'll be going to LSE.

RE:A&F degree, there is really no need to get angry with people that choose A&F because they have an easier time with admissions and course content, if they are not as good as economics graduates they won't get the job, if they are better then they deserve it!

how is your revision going? What subjects did you have to get AAA in?
dramaminedreams
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:yep: same lol :tongue:
Although you'd have to be someone really special and lucky to get into a top hedge fund right after uni, without working as an IB first :tongue:
Hence, I want to be an IB, first . Which in itself isn't exactly a walk in the park LOL!

Which one of the LSE degrees would in your opinion be best for those with a view to working in a top Hedge Fund?
Economics. It's a no brainer really. If the Maths department improves, then Maths&Economics would probably be better.

Although, having said that, I reckon a straight maths degree + econometrical/mathematical economics masters would be the perfect combination. (bit of bias there, but i still think it is quite true)
albiesworld
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dramaminedreams)
yeah but to get into a hedge fund most people work in IB first as an analyst and then after 2/3 years (depends on the bank I'd assume and what area you work in, with M&A being preferred) and then transfer over...

and about your degree relevance, a member of my family works as an IB, and he has a law degree...

it really comes down to the person I guess...
Marcx89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have a very high respect for people who pursue economics at a degree level to work for governments or become scholars, it pretty much ends there.
Canuck1
Report 9 years ago
They are academically able-before they take the 'easier option' and embark upon an Acc & Fin degree instead of Econ/Maths, if they have a view to an IB role in the future (not applicable to those with Accounting aspirations),but the Acc & Finance degree does not then do them justice.
And in response to your question, you hire people who have amassed the right skill set because of their degrees. People can attain these without the degree, yes, but the degree is one of the best indicators of such qualitative information, before the interview process.
Take a chill pill. Wow. I hate to burst your bubble but investment banking requires limited skills other than work ethic and the ability to put up with b.s.
I don't think you need advance calculus to make a chart, graph or financial model.....in fact I know because i did it for 2 years. Furthermore, in the US, you can work for Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley with an art history degree.....any chimp can be trained to be an investment banker. However, they do test for personality and whether they can stand to be with someone for 10hrs +, and im sure you and beefeater would fail miserably.

If there is an easier way to get to the same end, that in itself can be the smarter move.

get back to your studies or you won't have to worry about being the next i-banker from LSE. so can we please focus this thread on the real issue.....how long it takes LSE to get back to candidates....especially those with exploding offers.
apa123
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by JohnKennedy)
Which people? With huge demand for banking jobs, I find it quite unprobable that music graduates would get jobs in the financial sector, especially now that banks are cutting back on recruitment.
Erhh, banks will obviously recruit less in a recession. There is no doubt about that.

As for the people, I cannot give you any specific examples but if you read read around it, you will probably find someone... If i remember correctly, there were a bank that had recruited oxford people with degrees is history and music... and yes, i am being extremely vague i know... but as econ historian mentioned, oxbridge grads play in a league of their own and the old boy networks probably helps a lot...

if they are not as good as economics graduates they won't get the job, if they are better then they deserve it!
exactly.
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Economic Historian, you may be glad to hear that I don't plan on going into investment banking despite the fact that i'll be going to LSE.

RE:A&F degree, there is really no need to get angry with people that choose A&F because they have an easier time with admissions and course content, if they are not as good as economics graduates they won't get the job, if they are better then they deserve it!

how is your revision going? What subjects did you have to get AAA in?
Lol true, I'm not exactly worried about it anyway I'm confident in my own abilities, just friendly banter really :tongue:

My revision's really picked up of late, I had to get AAA in Maths, Psych and Econ. After Jan results (we got them early ), I've now officially got AA under my belt, in Econ (94% average completed last year) and Psych this year (one module still to go!), and need 10 UMS in C4 for an A in Maths...so basically 3 A's already
Just the AS FM and the 2 AEA's to satisfy now!
Thank you for your interest and concern though!
the_sword
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by iljw)
Thanks! That makes me feel a bit better:rolleyes: all i've received is an acknowledgement email so at least i know they have my application! I take it you applied to oxbridge?
yeh but i completely messed up the entrance exam for oxford lol but ye if i dont get LSE it makes choosing my firm easier (Warwick or Cass lol) but i'd still like an offer, just to know i was good enough :P
Economic Historian 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Canuck1)
Take a chill pill. Wow. I hate to burst your bubble but investment banking requires limited skills other than work ethic and the ability to put up with b.s.
I don't think you need advance calculus to make a chart, graph or financial model.....in fact I know because i did it for 2 years. Furthermore, in the US, you can work for Goldman Sachs or Morgan Stanley with an art history degree.....any chimp can be trained to be an investment banker. However, they do test for personality and whether they can stand to be with someone for 10hrs +, and im sure you and beefeater would fail miserably.

If there is an easier way to get to the same end, that in itself can be the smarter move.

get back to your studies or you won't have to worry about being the next i-banker from LSE. so can we please focus this thread on the real issue.....how long it takes LSE to get back to candidates....especially those with exploding offers.
Lol you need to lighten up too... It was just a little friendly banter! :tongue:
I'm aware of the importance of networking and socially desirable skills to put it mildly lol, I'm not that pedantic about something I clearly have researched extensively before...and have an offer for a week-long placement at a top bank already, even though I'm not at Uni yet (clearly, I can't be that bad to spend 10+ hours with ). And yes, Art History grads can be trained to be an IB, but in which division. There's more to it than meets the eye.
But yes i agree with u, this discussion is better placed in a different forum.
bj_945
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cnguyen)
I have an offer from SOAS for Econ too. It was ranked 18th last year, although it generally has a good reputation, many people believe it should have garnered a higher than 18 (according to The Guardian or The Times, I don't remember which). SOAS is probably better for you if you're planning on working abroad. I think with the whole globalization movement etc. thinking internationally is the way to go, so maybe SOAS isn't so bad after all.

Meh, I wouldn"t be bothered about the reputation, I would love to study at SOAS for the atmosphere-such a cool place. But they don"t do my course
And I know in many places, such as the BBC, it has an incredible reputation.

Tbf hopefully I will end up at UCL, just across the road so meh

Peace x
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't
whamjam
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To "john kennedy",
what do you plan on becoming? President? just curious

Also, about this whole accounting and finance in IB argument, leave it up to the recruiters to decide who is best suited. Seriously, if they see real talent, passion, dedication and ability in an art graduate, they should employ him/her.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1100)
79.14%
Leave (290)
20.86%

Watched Threads