Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    On the one day I get to sleep in:

- Got woken up last night at 2 am by the fire alarm
    - Waited outside in the cold till 2:45 before they fixed the problem
    - Got woken up again at 7 by the fire alarm going off again
    - Got REALLLY scared when my locked door suddenly opened and a maintenance guy walks in to check my fire alarm ~ 11am
    - And here I am heading back to lectures

ReputationRep:
    Do any other medical schools have students do Structured Literature Reviews for SSC's or is it just here?

ReputationRep:
    Finally got my weekly afternoon off on a non gym day. Dat dere nap time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetconwy1)
    Do any other medical schools have students do Structured Literature Reviews for SSC's or is it just here?
    Yeah, we have to do one. I'm doing mine on the new warfarin alternative dabigatran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I remember someone on here talking about having to do this a few years back - they brought a bottle of wine in and did a wine tasting session.
    I'm going to do how to cook a stir fry I think because I'm boring as ****.

ReputationRep:
    At Keele we do - currently choosing my topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    Grab
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Anyone have access to:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...g%20%281985%29

Please?
    Have you got access? Not sure if you get more access to stuff on your BSc.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got access? Not sure if you get more access to stuff on your BSc.
    I do actually. Had to use my JASME Log In for that. PM/Facebook message me your email address.

EDIT: Never mind. I'll just use the one on your facebook profile.

EDIT 2: Sent to your hotmail account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    • Avoid powerpoint
    • If you have to use it, don't read off the slide
    • Ask questions to the audience
    • Aim to give your talk for 3/4 of the time to ensure you leave time for questions and finish on time

Or you could just tell them to go to the pub and you will be a winner all round! :p:
    Thanks for the advice!! I am too much of a wimp not to use a powerpoint, but I have cut down what I had by two thirds and most of what's left is pictures, so I'm hoping it's going to be OK. I wish I could just take them to the pub!!! But I don't think the medical school would approve sadly...

ReputationRep:
    In other news I need to make a 15 minute presentation on a non-medical topic. I need to teach it. I have literally no idea what I'm going to do. Suggestions?
    We all had to do this recently, there was quite a lot of variety. In my group there was netball, rugby tackle, putting, relativity, cello, paper boat making, off side rule and fishing. Other groups had cooking, wine tasting and urdu. What are you good at? If you pick something you already know loads about it will make it much easier. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    I do actually. Had to use my JASME Log In for that. PM/Facebook message me your email address.

EDIT: Never mind. I'll just use the one on your facebook profile.

EDIT 2: Sent to your hotmail account.
    Cheers matey. Lets me verify my claim from the first sesh. I was finding trouble finding a paper I had access to that proved that long term recall was much greater from PBL than lectures.

(Original post by mrs_bellamy)
    We all had to do this recently, there was quite a lot of variety. In my group there was netball, rugby tackle, putting, relativity, cello, paper boat making, off side rule and fishing. Other groups had cooking, wine tasting and urdu. What are you good at? If you pick something you already know loads about it will make it much easier. Good luck!
    Atm, I've settled on making a stir fry just because it's easy, I have some ideas for seperate slides and I think there's not a lot of scope for asking ridiculous questions. My only other major skills are computers and a quick presentation on computer hardware maintence would be the driest ****.

Oh ****, maybe I want to teach the 10 dimensions... Hmm...

ReputationRep:
    A fifteen minute presentation would be quite fun. Not sure what I would do it on. Possibly teach a few basic waltz steps although probably not enough time, maybe some chacha. In which case maybe something sailing related...hmm. What else could I do I wonder.
    I would much prefer this to my mandatory presentation on a dull topic.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    We do literature reviews, although they are our ARs (Analytical Reviews) rather than SSSs (the latter are 10 minute presentations on up to date research within the module currently being studied).

They are on set papers and we have one a module (so this year, 3) and they are of 2000 word length

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    We do literature reviews, although they are our ARs (Analytical Reviews) rather than SSSs (the latter are 10 minute presentations on up to date research within the module currently being studied).

They are on set papers and we have one a module (so this year, 3) and they are of 2000 word length
    How difficult is it to get to UEA? A flatmate and I might be going up on the 9th of Feb to see Mastadon/Red fang/Dillinger escape plan as they're sold out in Brixton.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How difficult is it to get to UEA? A flatmate and I might be going up on the 9th of Feb to see Mastadon/Red fang/Dillinger escape plan as they're sold out in Brixton.
    That depends on where you're coming from :p:

If you're in London, it's simply a case of London Liverpool --> Norwich --> UEA (bus)

There's also a megabus that goes from Victoria --> UEA :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Bugger, was hoping to get to that. Can't be arsed to head too far off though.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Feeling low
    What's up buddy?

(Original post by Mushi_master)
    Bugger, was hoping to get to that. Can't be arsed to head too far off though.
    Yeah, I only found out today and Brixton is sold out. Everywhere is sold out apart from Glasgow and Norwich. Going to ring up Brixton to see if there's any tickets going though on hold or anything, will let you know if I do.

That depends on where you're coming from :p:

If you're in London, it's simply a case of London Liverpool --> Norwich --> UEA (bus)

There's also a megabus that goes from Victoria --> UEA :dontknow:
    Megabus? Is that at dodge times though? Otherwise there must be a national express coach... The train will otherwise go from stratford too right? Should be pretty easy to get there and back.

Pretty sure I've got the Friday off as well so I can go on a full on bender afterwards, not sure what Norwich is like on a Thursday night though?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Megabus? Is that at dodge times though? Otherwise there must be a national express coach... The train will otherwise go from stratford too right? Should be pretty easy to get there and back.

Pretty sure I've got the Friday off as well so I can go on a full on bender afterwards, not sure what Norwich is like on a Thursday night though?
    I've no idea tbh. And yeah there is National Express to campus too And yeah some trains stop at Stratford, some don't (I think it's every other train but you'd have to check)

Thursday night is student night in town so it should be alright. It's the weekend that can be a bit dodge :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea tbh. And yeah there is National Express to campus too And yeah some trains stop at Stratford, some don't (I think it's every other train but you'd have to check)

Thursday night is student night in town so it should be alright. It's the weekend that can be a bit dodge :p:
    Tidy. The trains are going to be too early on Thursday night (last train 10pm) anyway so I'm going to have to stay in Norwich til 5am ish.

Now to convince one of my other flatmates who's get on exam at 9am on Friday morning that this is a good idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.