The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9140
Original post by Medicine Man
Do you get tested on all modules at the same time or do you have more exams in the summer term?

Yeah, all this week. 3 modules, 3 days. That's one 'good' thing I suppose, all over with and no more exams this year, just the project. If they'd spread them out, I suppose theoretically I'd have more time to prepare for each and could do better, but I doubt I would. It'd probably just spread out the suffering. lol

Though there are vivas if you're at a borderline for a grade. It's annoying though, they won't tell you what you're borderline for, ie if you won't know if you're borderline pass/fail. But pass mark is 40% and I just can't imagine anyone getting below 40%.
Getting bored of project week now. Got my cases in the first few days. My life goes to **** when I don't have lectures - sleep and eating pattern becomes erratic, haven't done a decent food shop in days, lose complete track of what day it is. Feels bad man.
Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of getting diagnosed with/disclosing mental illness to medical school during the course? Struggling to get information, would really appreciate a PM!
Reply 9143
Original post by chloemo14
Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of getting diagnosed with/disclosing mental illness to medical school during the course? Struggling to get information, would really appreciate a PM!

Hello one of my close friends has recently been diagnosed with depression and the medical school have been extremely supportive of her. PM me if you wish to although I can't say I know all the circumstances as I haven't wanted to intrude more than she has wanted to talk about.

So have you been diagnosed? As in you've been to your GP/Psychiatrist?

If so, are there any people you can meet with face to face to discuss welfare? I spoke to the head of the medical school when faced with similar issues, and she was very supportive, noted it down on file and it helped me with circumstances regarding exams and stuff and I have been occasionally seeing people since. If you don't know whether this is available to you, send an email to the admin or whoever, explain you have a confidential health issue you wish to discuss with someone in the medical school and they will help you from there. If you're on medication they'll note it down and any side effects etc and take it into account and give you support with work etc, and will probably ask if it has affected your work to date.

Don't worry, they're very supportive and it's a very serious and surprisingly common issue amongst students. I had problems with depression and my flatmate has bipolar disorder and we've both been given a lot of support.

Just like any other affliction - if you can get on with the course (and if in clinics be safe with patients) - not a problem and support is out there as far as I'm aware.

In my experience only tell them what you have to.
They seem to be supportive with some people. Depends in my experience.
Finally got my K/D on CoD to up over 2.0 to make up for when I first started playing.

Much more productive than mere PBL.
Does anyone have access to this paper?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15539807

Thanks! :smile:
Does anyone have access to this paper?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15539807

Thanks! :smile:
:smile:
Original post by i'm no superman

Thanks man! :smile:

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." :s

No worries, no need for that at all!

Just started reading this: http://dev.biologists.org/content/135/21/3491.full.pdf

FML. I'm going to bed.

No worries, no need for that at all!

Just started reading this: http://dev.biologists.org/content/135/21/3491.full.pdf

FML. I'm going to bed.

:lolwut:

*shudders*
Reply 9153
Original post by SMed
Wrote the entire essay from start to finish, continuously, added nothing, took nothing away, right to the last full stop at the end of the conclusion. Hit the bibliography button, submitted it in with 5 minutes to spare.

Read through at the end look for errors, mistakes or to make improvements?

Gets a 1st.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SMed

Spoiler

Congrats man! Good boost before your exams this week!

Mate, seriously BSc essay marking is kinda dodgy. One of our essays we handed in took 5 days to turn around - I was still typing away 2 hours before it was due in. I got my essay back, no ticks, no comments alongside the essay, just a very specific percentage and 2/3 general comments about my writing style. I'm not complaining though, I got 76%. Booya! :p: But it is really weird. Another essay I did jst before chirstmas (and spent a fair bit of time on) scored 65% - I haven't got this one back yet so I don't know if there were ticks and comments on it (but I suspect there probably aren't). It just seems that after a while, your score is inversely proportional the length of time you spend on an essay and the amount of effort you put in. You just need to get the words down it seems.
Reply 9155
Congrats man! Good boost before your exams this week!

Mate, seriously BSc essay marking is kinda dodgy. One of our essays we handed in took 5 days to turn around - I was still typing away 2 hours before it was due in. I got my essay back, no ticks, no comments alongside the essay, just a very specific percentage and 2/3 general comments about my writing style. I'm not complaining though, I got 76%. Booya! :p: But it is really weird. Another essay I did jst before chirstmas (and spent a fair bit of time on) scored 65% - I haven't got this one back yet so I don't know if there were ticks and comments on it (but I suspect there probably aren't). It just seems that after a while, your score is inversely proportional the length of time you spend on an essay and the amount of effort you put in. You just need to get the words down it seems.

Agreed. There were lots of comments on the paper, and if I was just looking at those I thought she was going to give a 2.1-2.2. Then at the end it just says 'Low First'. :biggrin: Not complaining. :tongue:
Original post by SMed
Get's a 1st.
Good job!
Reply 9157
Reading our most clinical case entitled "A Young Woman with Violent Diarrhoea", it contains the line: "She still managed to meet up with friends for nights out down the Bigg Market where she followed the local traditions of drinking large amounts of Vodka and then being sick ... she went home, and proceeded to pass diarrhoea in the shower."

:rofl:

I love whoever writes our casebooks.
Original post by Beska
Reading our most clinical case entitled "A Young Woman with Violent Diarrhoea", it contains the line: "She still managed to meet up with friends for nights out down the Bigg Market where she followed the local traditions of drinking large amounts of Vodka and then being sick ... she went home, and proceeded to pass diarrhoea in the shower."

:rofl:

I love whoever writes our casebooks.

Reminds me of possibly the funniest thread ever posted on the internet:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120921191&page=1
I've spent the day reflecting

*cries*

Latest

Trending

Trending