Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Liverpool FC Thread XII watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Italian clubs don't have money and he's already played for AC Milan and Inter Milan. I think the top 3 (Juventus, Roma and Napoli) are smart enough to avoid him and I don't think any other Italian team can afford the 20-21mil Euros.
    Can see him back at Inter with Mancini tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Rumoured starting XI tonight:

Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Henderson, Lucas, Markovic, Moreno, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)

Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Henderson, Lucas, Markovic, Moreno, Gerrard, Coutinho, Sterling.
    Honestly I'd rather see Borini over Gerrard against Chelsea. He's never been great against Chelsea (scored once?) and they have so many players with high work rate that Gerrard will always be pressed.

I'm not sure this is the game to continue playing 3-4-3 but happy to be proved wrong.

Maybe we'll be lucky and Mourinho will rest a couple of players? He's got to have his eyes on the tie against Man City at the end of the month.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)

No surprises, really.

Markovic is the only doubt I'd have. Unsure whether he has the defensive capabilities to handle Hazard compared to, say, Manquillo.

Sterling as the lone frontman makes more sense than Borini, even if the latter is more of a finisher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    No surprises, really.

Markovic is the only doubt I'd have. Unsure whether he has the defensive capabilities to handle Hazard compared to, say, Manquillo.

Sterling as the lone frontman makes more sense than Borini, even if the latter is more of a finisher.
    I was impressed with Markovic defensively against Villa. Regularly won the ball back, tracked his man and shut out plenty of attacks. Moreno was the weak link against Villa.

Depends how much of the ball we have. If we're sitting deep then Sterling makes more sense since he's got more pace. If we're going to have more of the ball, I'd rather he was deeper where he can run at players instead of being marked out by the Chelsea CBs.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/...-edging-closer

Should we be trying to sign Milner? Would he be a starter for us every week? Where could we play him?

Sturridge
    Coutinho Sterling
    Milner Lucas Henderson
    Moreno Sakho Skrtel Rightback
    Goalkeeper

Would that make the most out of Henderson and Milner or is that too industrial and not enough creativity? Would he just be a great squad addition and come in regularly rather than the first name? Would get a lot more game time here over Man City tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No one want Lallana in the team tonight ? I heard he was due to be fit tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    No one want Lallana in the team tonight ? I heard he was due to be fit tonight
    Ease him back in against Bolton? Not sure if he will impress against the physical nature of Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Honestly I'd rather see Borini over Gerrard against Chelsea. He's never been great against Chelsea (scored once?) and they have so many players with high work rate that Gerrard will always be pressed.

I'm not sure this is the game to continue playing 3-4-3 but happy to be proved wrong.

Maybe we'll be lucky and Mourinho will rest a couple of players? He's got to have his eyes on the tie against Man City at the end of the month.
    i fear that you're right.
    i feel like this is the kind of team a 3-4-3 would get destroyed by.
    although to be honest, i don't think it matters how we set up against chelsea - they're way too good for us.

i'll remain hopeful since anything can happen, although my expectations are not high tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    i fear that you're right.
    i feel like this is the kind of team a 3-4-3 would get destroyed by.
    although to be honest, i don't think it matters how we set up against chelsea - they're way too good for us.

i'll remain hopeful since anything can happen, although my expectations are not high tonight.
    This is where I miss Rafa Benitez. He knew how to make us feared even where we were underdog. We were never easy to beat and we never rolled over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    No surprises, really.

Borini a finisher? Have you seen him shoot? .

Looking forward to a good game tonight, hopefully we'll get the result we need. Anything can happen boys!

ReputationRep:
    Milner makes sense on a free. Improvement on Henderson in a creative sense and helps out the defence but it's not the type of signing that will really push you onto the next level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    Borini a finisher? Have you seen him shoot? .
    Compared to Sterling! Haha.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    match thread for tonight http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post53075413
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Moreno, Markovic, Coutinho, Sterling

Subs: Ward, Enrique, Lambert, Manquillo, Lallana, Borini, Rossiter

ReputationRep:
    On my way to Anfield now

ReputationRep:
    pissed off.

one one hand, what a performance by the lads - game of the season.
    on the other hand, how can we beat chelsea at the bridge?

we messed it up by not taking our chances; we dominated them all game yet we only scored a single goal.
    in the second half we had plenty of shots - courtois is a beast but you gotta feel that with somebody clinical like sturridge, we would've won that game comfortably.

all in all, chelsea fans breathing a sigh of relief - they know they were lucky tonight but won't mess it up at home.

P.S: shout out to skrtel, MOTM as far as i'm concerned (sterling a close 2nd).

ReputationRep:
    Everyone be like Sturidge is clinical sturidge is clinical. He is a selfish injury prone glass. He will marginally up the squad. The kinda player LFC really need is a Costa or my favorite Luiz Suarez

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho thinks they were in control, with more quality.

One shot on target (was a penalty)

I'm actually laughing out loud.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Mourinho: "It was a fair result."

Haha, nice one lad.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 4, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.