Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiz)
    Didn't exactly work last season. And Origi is just as good in the air as Benteke so
    I wasn't being completely serious, I don't advocate just throwing crosses because of one game. But Origi as good in the air as Benteke? Not a chance, it's not even debatable. Benteke's aerial game was his main source of goals at Villa, had one of the highest number of aerial balls won and highest number of headed goals in the period he was at villa. Very few players in the league comparable with him aerially.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If Henderson wasn't the captain I'm pretty sure he'd have been dropped by now, I was less than convinced by him last season, notwithstanding injuries.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool lack leaders on the pitch who can change the way the team plays. In training the team had clearly set up to play from the back to draw out Burnley attackers which would in turn leave space in the midfield to work in. However this didn't work at all because Henderson was awful. Trying to play out of the back with the two CBs miles apart left acres of space in the middle of the field for the 2 Burnley forwards to poach the ball in - which is why they scored.

Once Burnley were 2 up (and arguably 1 up), there was no space in the middle of the field for Coutinho et al to work with. At this point Liverpool should have had the smarts to change strategy a use the wingbacks to get in behind and lob crosses in and punt balls in to the box from the half way line. The problem with doing this is that you lose possession against a good team and get caught on the break, but Burnley were so deep they would have cleared the ball and given it straight back to Pool. And actually giving Burnley the ball would have given Liverpool the opportunity to regain possession when Burnley didn't have 8 men behind the ball.

At half time Klopp should have taken out Lallana (who is virtually useless once the opposition sits back) and played Origi for some height in the box and put on Moreno so that we had pace on the left (which might have induced some fouls which were lacking from Burnley) and able to whip it in off his left foot.

Henderson was appalling and I can't see how he can start ahead of Can (don't think the 2nd goal would have been conceded had he been on the pitch) or Lucas.

Hopefully this game is an eye opener for Klopp that Liverpool need to learn how to play against a team that sits back if you want to make CL. It is all fun and games gegenpressing in Cup matches where your opponents are forced to try to win, but in the league when you need to grind out wins against Watford, WBA, Sunderland, Burnley, Hull, Leicester you need to have a system to beat teams that sit back. Liverpool need to learn how to get balls booted in to the box. Even if you don't score headers, there is a chance they'll be a hand ball, or a dodgy penalty given, or penalty for shirt pulling. To emphasise just how stupid Pool were against Burnley, when they had corners, they played them short! And rather than running into the box and maybe drawing a foul to earn a penalty, they played the ball out to the centre of the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday must have been gegendepressing for you guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Yesterday must have been gegendepressing for you guys
    You have no idea.

This tweet shows how Liverpool fans felt from beating Arsenal to losing vs Burnley. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    You are defensively pretty poor. Only a couple of games in, but your ability to conceded from a relatively low attacking output, that was a trend under a larger sample Klopp last season. Statically speaking, not just a little bit either, its horrendous. Its as bad as the attacking is good.
    I think last season was more down to the personell errors mainly Mignolet who either made goal conceding errors or just wasn't saving anything. That being said under Klopp we are far more prone to counter attacks, therefore the quality of chances for the opposition would be much higher. Lovren and Sakho seemed to cope fine and was our most solid partnership but Sakho is injury prone and Mignolet and Moreno (and Sakho at times) are prone to unacceptable numbers of goal conceding errors. Klavan and Lovren just isn't working atm but it is still early yet.

ReputationRep:
    A Liverpool fan giving me the same old spiel at work after the Arsenal game- "We're gonna be frightening this season" Man U maybe- Liverpool??.... narrowly beating a poor Arsenal side doesn't mean you are going to do wonders - Liverpool are perennial under-achievers, it's always been the way and always will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    A Liverpool fan giving me the same old spiel at work after the Arsenal game- "We're gonna be frightening this season" Man U maybe- Liverpool??.... narrowly beating a poor Arsenal side doesn't mean you are going to do wonders - Liverpool are perennial under-achievers, it's always been the way and always will be.
    "always"

TIL time started in 1991

ReputationRep:
    In the last 30 minutes we saw a lot of Lovren trying to play the ball forwards and switching it out to the left. Obviously a lot of it was a bit wayward but it makes me think that in future when we're in games like that where we're behind but completely dominating it could be useful to move Can into defence. Sub on an attacking player for one of our CB's and bingo.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Tony Barrett just tweeted that we are looking to send Sakho out on loan.

EDIT: Paul Joyce just said same thing. Seems to be all over the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Tony Barrett just tweeted that we are looking to send Sakho out on loan.

EDIT: Paul Joyce just said same thing. Seems to be all over the media.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1471902953.224902.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  55.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    Lol why??

ReputationRep:
    So let me get this straight.

We've conceded 5 goals in 2 games, are playing a CM at LB and are in desperate need of defensive improvement, yet we're "considering" sending our best CB out on loan?

If Sakho goes out on loan, he's basically lost to us. Why even bring in Klavan, only to send Sakho out on loan?
    Let's also not forget that Matip will have AFCON during the season which will mess things up even further.

Karius, Matip and Sakho all injured and we're without a competent LB.
    What the hell is happening here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Lol why??
    It's completely surprising and quite unfair on Sakho as he was in really good form before his ban.

Apparently it's for him to regain fitness since he's been out since May and has also been injured. I've heard people say it could be due to his disciplinary problems with Klopp. I guess Klopp wants to show Sakho who's boss and see if Sakho is willing to work hard to see if he wants a career at Liverpool. Also, Klopp blocked Lucas' move because he wants Lucas to stay as a CB.

ReputationRep:
    I miss Carragher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    So let me get this straight.

We've conceded 5 goals in 2 games, are playing a CM at LB and are in desperate need of defensive improvement, yet we're "considering" sending our best CB out on loan?

If Sakho goes out on loan, he's basically lost to us. Let's also not forget that Matip will have AFCON during the season which will mess things up even further.

Karius, Matip and Sakho all injured and we're without a competent LB.
    What the hell is happening here?
    As far as I'm aware Matip is fine and is set to join Lovren tomorrow at CB. Karius is apparently 4 weeks away too and Sakho only started training today.

I still think we'll get another signing, journos such as James Pearce and Tony Barrett said there might be one more on the way- I'm not sure who though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The most galling aspect of the Burnley defeat was the fact I feel like I've seen it time and time again over the past 20 years.

In many ways, this Klopp side strike a greater resemblance to Roy Evans' 1995-96 team than many here may realise (due to your tender years). They are effervescent going forward, but they struggle against two banks of four.

I really fear for this Liverpool side - because I don't think they have a 0-0 in them. And, if a team in the bottom eight or so can score first, I worry about our ability to probe and penetrate. We will reduce ourselves to Coutinho pot shots, which just isn't healthy.

No player from Saturday emerged with any credit - except maybe Mignolet, who couldn't do anything with the goals, and Grujic, who injected some life into the game. Sturridge was wasted, and I feel sympathy for him, but the midfield was bypassed far too often and Henderson's performance was arguably the worst I've ever seen from him - though he wasn't helped by a lack of runs into space from the forward men.

Burton will be a tricky outfit to navigate. This is the biggest week of their history, in some respects, because they face Derby this weekend. They are good at set-pieces and Stuart Beavon is a threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    The most galling aspect of the Burnley defeat was the fact I feel like I've seen it time and time again over the past 20 years.

In many ways, this Klopp side strike a greater resemblance to Roy Evans' 1995-96 team than many here may realise (due to your tender years). They are effervescent going forward, but they struggle against two banks of four.
    Yeah, I agree. However, I would say your were more defensively strong in 95/96. But, again you had quality all over the pitch, Fowler, Collymore, Barnes, McManaman, McAteer etc..
    I think in that period the difference between yourself, Newcastle and United in level of quality was not that much but both yourself and Newcastle lacked a little mental toughness. And, I do believe you see that today, your tend to play better against the bigger teams, whilst you struggle against teams that sit back and make it difficult to break down. An example of that being the case in 95/96 was the famous 4-3 win against Newcastle followed by a 1-0 loss to Coventry.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    Yeah, I agree. However, I would say your were more defensively strong in 95/96. But, again you had quality all over the pitch, Fowler, Collymore, Barnes, McManaman, McAteer etc..
    I think in that period the difference between yourself, Newcastle and United in level of quality was not that much but both yourself and Newcastle lacked a little mental toughness. And, I do believe you see that today, your tend to play better against the bigger teams, whilst you struggle against teams that sit back and make it difficult to break down. An example of that being the case in 95/96 was the famous 4-3 win against Newcastle followed by a 1-0 loss to Coventry.
    We were better in defence - but arguably only marginally. We had very good wing-backs back then, but we were so vulnerable and could be cut open through the middle very easily. Everybody talks about Newcastle being the entertainers, and they were, but Liverpool had a knack for high-scoring games too in the mid-1990s.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely considering sticking a fiver on Burton.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.