(Original post by Pimped Butterfly)
    Neymar is good, great, fantastic, world class,
    Man like Pimped exhausting all his adjectives

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Neymar is good, great, fantastic, world class, one of the best forwards that Barca have ever had, and already has achievements, and is playing at a level, that sees him comparable to some of the tier 2 Brazilian greats, like the three Rs.

But he's still only the third best player in that frontline. Suarez will never win a BdO due to political reasons (amongst others) but he is, imo, more crucial than Neymar, and Messi is still the best player ever playing near his best. I can concede that when Neymar is given centre stage, like when Messi was out, he plays to a level that's above Suarez, and even not that far off Messi. But whilst Messi is pulling the strings, Suarez is still a better player than Neymar (let alone Messi), and Neymar wouldn't deserve a Ballon d'Or as a result.
    Agree with every word. I'd go as far as saying - due to the political reasons you mention - you won't even see Suarez ever in the top three.

ReputationRep:
    Neville has taken Valencia to hell get that man out ASAP

ReputationRep:
    Nah I disagree regarding Suarez. Despite the political and personal bias against him, there comes a point where you can't simply ignore his performance. If he carries on scoring and assisting goals at the rate he currently is, especially in important games, he will without a doubt challenge for the award.

I also have a feeling that a lot of people subconciously want to see someone else win it for a change and therefore may impact the voting.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Nah I disagree regarding Suarez. Despite the political and personal bias against him, there comes a point where you can't simply ignore his performance. If he carries on scoring and assisting goals at the rate he currently is, especially in important games, he will without a doubt challenge for the award.

I also have a feeling that a lot of people subconciously want to see someone else win it for a change and therefore may impact the voting.
    Agree with your last paragraph, but it's altogether more likely to be Neymar who gate crashes the party.

ReputationRep:
    Neymar > Busquets > Suarez

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Flashback to when Neville called Wenger "naive"

ReputationRep:
    A Neville quote from 2015 doing the rounds on twitter, saying that he wouldn't look his family in the eye if he was part of a team that lost 7-0 at Barca. Not sure how true it is but an embarrassing result for him nonetheless. Can't be in the job for too much longer no surely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)
    A Neville quote from 2015 doing the rounds on twitter, saying that he wouldn't look his family in the eye if he was part of a team that lost 7-0 at Barca. Not sure how true it is but an embarrassing result for him nonetheless. Can't be in the job for too much longer no surely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't find anything to prove he actually said it but I'm sure I remember the quote. Might not have been about Barcelona though. Sure it'll surface eventually.

ReputationRep:
    **** evening for Spanish football. Not that it isn't already about as exciting as watching paint dry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how anybody could have watched the game yesterday and not enjoyed it. Footballing exhibitions don't come much better.

Suarez's finish for the seventh, the Barca moves for the second and third goals, the Suarez backheel before Messi screwing two Valencia defenders, I just don't know how you can't enjoy that.

ReputationRep:

Your last paragraph is completely wrong, however you feel it to be.

The details of Leo Messi’s fifth Ballon d’Or have been published, and it turns out it was quite a convincing victory. The Argentinian collected 41.33% of the votes, while second placed Cristiano Ronaldo had 27.76% and Neymar Jr7.86%.Of the 23 nominees, four Barça players made it into the top ten. Apart from Messi and Neymar Jr, Luis Suárez was fifth with 3.38% of the votes
    Ronaldo (disclaimer is one of the greatest players ever etc) flopped every big game in 2015. And somehow still got 2/3rds of the vote that Messi did. Meanwhile Suarez can't even get ahead of Lewandowski, despite, by the stats, having the best calendar year of anyone in world football. Messi took the headlines for the home leg against Bayern and the CdR final (and rightly so) but Suarez was the one who got doubles away to City and PSG, winner in the final, winner in the first Clasico, two goals and an assist in the second Clasico, and had the best goals+assists contribution over the year of any player in the world. Take out penalties and both Messi/Ronaldo and he's comfortably ahead of both (https://i.imgur.com/HLrR85H.jpg, 8 penalties for Messi in there, with Ronaldo having the same G+A as Messi, only with 11 penalties). And he got less than a tenth of the votes that Messi did.

The Ballon d'Or is a glorified popularity contest. It always has been, and Ronaldo's standing is justification of that. Suarez doesn't have a hope in hell of winning it, and it's almost a given that Messi/Ronaldo will win it, when they're past their peak and don't deserve it, over Neymar/Suarez/whoever. For the record, I'm comfortable with Messi winning it for 2015. As good as Suarez is, he's not Messi, and he couldn't have done what Messi did during the latter stages of the season, and measuring his influence is impossible by goals and assists alone. Suarez should definitely have been second or third though.

Btw Pep got 22% of the votes to Enrique's 31%, despite Pep flopping the biggest game of his season too. Pep's the best manager in the world but the voters vote for an established level/reputation/popularity, rather than performance over the year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ClockEnderAFC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by scriggy)

Can't find anything to prove he actually said it but I'm sure I remember the quote. Might not have been about Barcelona though. Sure it'll surface eventually.
    That cannot be true. Surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    That cannot be true. Surely?
    Nope.

I don't see how he will keep his job other than a win vs Betis. Bet he's 'delighted' he accepted a phone call from a friend named Peter back end of November! But it's good experience for him and shouldn't have any effect on his managerial ambitions.

ReputationRep:
    Your last paragraph is completely wrong, however you feel it to be.

Ronaldo (disclaimer is one of the greatest players ever etc) flopped every big game in 2015. And somehow still got 2/3rds of the vote that Messi did. Meanwhile Suarez can't even get ahead of Lewandowski, despite, by the stats, having the best calendar year of anyone in world football. Messi took the headlines for the home leg against Bayern and the CdR final (and rightly so) but Suarez was the one who got doubles away to City and PSG, winner in the final, winner in the first Clasico, two goals and an assist in the second Clasico, and had the best goals+assists contribution over the year of any player in the world. Take out penalties and both Messi/Ronaldo and he's comfortably ahead of both (https://i.imgur.com/HLrR85H.jpg, 8 penalties for Messi in there, with Ronaldo having the same G+A as Messi, only with 11 penalties). And he got less than a tenth of the votes that Messi did.

The Ballon d'Or is a glorified popularity contest. It always has been, and Ronaldo's standing is justification of that. Suarez doesn't have a hope in hell of winning it, and it's almost a given that Messi/Ronaldo will win it, when they're past their peak and don't deserve it, over Neymar/Suarez/whoever. For the record, I'm comfortable with Messi winning it for 2015. As good as Suarez is, he's not Messi, and he couldn't have done what Messi did during the latter stages of the season, and measuring his influence is impossible by goals and assists alone. Suarez should definitely have been second or third though.

Btw Pep got 22% of the votes to Enrique's 31%, despite Pep flopping the biggest game of his season too. Pep's the best manager in the world but the voters vote for an established level/reputation/popularity, rather than performance over the year.
    Why are you posting voting statistics from the last Balon D'or as if that's in any way relevant to this season? Ronaldo had one of his greatest ever seasons (stat wise) and Messi was just winning Barca everything and like you said, got much of the glory that he usually does. So of course he got overshadowed. This year it's different. Ronaldo has dropped off and Messi has been relatively low key this season compared to usual.

Yes it's based on calendar years but lets be honest, most people's perceptions are formed during the actual footballing seasons. At the end of the day if Suarez wins the golden boot while also going clutch in important games then you're mad to think he won't challenge for the award.

I'll also be surprised if Ronaldo makes in into the top 3. With his poor performances in addition to Real looking like they're going to have another trophyless season.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo hasn't really been poor this season tbh.
    Barca's front 3 have just been really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Ronaldo hasn't really been poor this season tbh.
    Barca's front 3 have just been really good.
    He hasn't scored a single goal against the top 6 La liga sides this season. And it's not like he's making up for it in other areas...

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't scored a single goal against the top 6 La liga sides this season. And it's not like he's making up for it in other areas...
    42% of league goals have come against Espanyol .

ReputationRep:
    4-0 Sevilla against Celta.

Barca vs Sevilla in the CDR final, I hope we have as good a game as the European Supercup game.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you posting voting statistics from the last Balon D'or as if that's in any way relevant to this season? Ronaldo had one of his greatest ever seasons (stat wise) and Messi was just winning Barca everything and like you said, got much of the glory that he usually does. So of course he got overshadowed. This year it's different. Ronaldo has dropped off and Messi has been relatively low key this season compared to usual.

Yes it's based on calendar years but lets be honest, most people's perceptions are formed during the actual footballing seasons. At the end of the day if Suarez wins the golden boot while also going clutch in important games then you're mad to think he won't challenge for the award.

I'll also be surprised if Ronaldo makes in into the top 3. With his poor performances in addition to Real looking like they're going to have another trophyless season.
    Because you perceive that there is some genuine desire for 'change' in the duopoly, and yet despite Ronaldo having a poor calendar year by his standards (and winning nothing and flopping every big game), and Messi having been injured for most of 15-16 until the voting period, and Neymar putting in eye-catching performances in that period, AND Suarez being shithot all calendar year including scoring so many key CL goals, including in the final, and having more non peno goals and assists than anybody else, there was no evidence of this desire to break the duopoly in the minds of the voters. In fact, with 41% and 27%, Messi and Ronaldo had the highest combined % of votes that they've had since 2011, which was higher by mere decimal figures. The duopoly only got stronger with regards to the voting.

Claiming that it's solely down to the previous season and not the calendar year is completely incorrect btw, when you factor in how Ronaldo won his last two Ballon d'Ors (especially the one where he won it off the back of two games against Sweden, just before the newly-extended voting period), and how Lewandowski's shithot form propelled him above Suarez in the voting this year.

With regards to your point about Messi and Ronaldo's form dipping; well, Ronaldo has shown signs of becoming his 'real self' under Zidane (and already has 11 goals in the Champions League ffs). And Messi's season has can be summarised with the word 'injury'. When he's played he's been great, and you can expect him to kick on into full form in the new year. In no world is either player's form dropping off so much that they won't make next year's top 3.

Suarez won the Golden Boot in 2013-14 and didn't even make the nominations lol. Sure there were circumstances surrounding that but the facts are that he's received three bans for biting people (ffs), pissed off all of Africa and all these high and mighty moral high ground *******s, and is accused of being a racist/having intentionally said things which were racist (incorrectly on both counts, though what he said can be deemed racist in European culture). Suarez is so disliked that even Lewandowski beat him in the standings ffs.

So when you factor in that Suarez is the most disliked sportsman in history and it severely hurts his voting popularity, that there is no evidence of this perceived desire to change the BdO duopoly (and only evidence to suggest it's as strong as ever despite there being two very worthy other contenders), and that Messi/Ronaldo can be expected to perform to their usual high standards, there is not a shred of evidence in your argument.

He won't challenge for the award no matter how good his season is. Quote me. He's my favourite player ever btw, and I do think he'll win the Golden Boot.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.