Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    But for me, 1 key, absolute key ingredient in a tittle winning team, is that star player, who can just turn a game on its head, and win points from nothing..

And thats exactly what they are selling in bale...
    and what you sold in rvp lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That just sounds like bale's gone tbh(if they get them). But I was saying that arsenal had better Attacking midfield/winger options in depth but I'll say that Spurs have a better team as of now(if bale stays of course). Tbh they could be in the mix for the title with this team if the players gel. These are the calibre of signings arsenal should be making and he's getting cabaye ffs.

If Arsenal can afford world class/2nd tier players now though they really need to get that big signing underwraps now. I looked at the tottenham game and they lacked that cutting edge in the attacking midfield/winger positions due to bale not being there but these signings look like that's no longer a problem. Even if bale goes arsenal will be really hard pushed for top 4 this season.
    Yeah I agree no way they'd be able afford Willian and Lamela if they weren't going to sell Bale. AVB has bought well knowing that he is about to lose Bale but I think they'll have a stronger team now rather than Bale carrying the whole team. They'd look formidable if the deals go through.

On a side note, do you think if Arsenal had missed out on the 4th place they would have done more to improve their team? Cause it looks like Wenger was being complacent and thought that since they got the championship qualifying spot they'll defiantly get it this time as well.

Im disgusted. If we do not make the Top 4 this year Wenger has to go. I don't know whether the man is so stubborn he refuses to change his ways, or he is the fall guy for the board.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nwakaeme)
    and what you sold in rvp lol
    He is talking about being a title winning team,not on about fourth place.

Why do you come on here just to annoy the Arsenal fans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    even with these players, I wouldnt put spurs as title contenders..

Though with them, (and presuming arsenal dont improve) they will easily be fighting it out for 2-4..

But for me, 1 key, absolute key ingredient in a tittle winning team, is that star player, who can just turn a game on its head, and win points from nothing..

Sure, one of the new players, all brilliantly talented, could become this, and take up the mantle.. buts its a big gamble, and we have no idea how they will all work/blend as a team..
    That's not the case.
    1. bale wasn't the key man before last season it was modric and they did better last season than the one before.

2. Chelsea under mourinho from 04-06. Considering drogba was poor the first two seasons, we had kezman in 04-05 ffs and crespo was probably as good as drogba was in 05-06(decent but not the drogba of 09/10 or in the CL two seasons ago), robben was injured half the games, and lamps was probably as important as makalele was I'd say it was a team effort.

3. Bayern munich last season exactly mirrors no.2. Kroos was their main man in midfield with schweinsteigger and martinez but he got injured and robben shone late in the season. But people forget how dante bossed it at the back with whoever he partnered. How lahm was vital to their play in the same way robben, ribery, mandzukic were and muller. Add to that gustavo and martinez both did a great job in midfield.

ReputationRep:
    Cabaye is a good player no doubt. I reckon he'd do an arteta but right now arsenal don't need to steady the ship they need to set sail. Exactly what tottenham are doing.
    Spot on. Cabaye is a 'safe' signing', we have plenty of players like him in the squad. I don't see the point in buying him, especially for the £20m required. That's probably one area in which we aren't lacking. We pretty much need a GK, CB, CDM, Winger and a CF. 5 players and less than two weeks left in the transfer window, ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEssence)
    Im disgusted. If we do not make the Top 4 this year Wenger has to go. I don't know whether the man is so stubborn he refuses to change his ways, or he is the fall guy for the board.
    They're all in it together.

The board and Wenger are both responsible for Arsenal's fall from grace. Both of them need to leave if Arsenal want to get back to the top again.

But since I can't see any manager (that is available) that can come in and do a much better job, you might as well keep Wenger, extend his contract and carry on challenging for fourth every season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    Yeah I agree no way they'd be able afford Willian and Lamela if they weren't going to sell Bale. AVB has bought well knowing that he is about to lose Bale but I think they'll have a stronger team now rather than Bale carrying the whole team. They'd look formidable if the deals go through.

On a side note, do you think if Arsenal had missed out on the 4th place they would have done more to improve their team? Cause it looks like Wenger was being complacent and thought that since they got the championship qualifying spot they'll defiantly get it this time as well.
    I agree here. The thing is that they can always sell bale in january too to Real, which could see them ahead of arsenal/us so even if they dip in form when he leaves(he'll get a better deal too as it's january) it won't affect them too much. FFP won't affect them either as the financial year starts in april iirc and they'd get the money in mid-season. So eitherway spurs are in a really strong situation atm.

I don't know. I think that they needed the money for that emirates deal, so then they'll say that missing out on the CL would cause them to lose out on such players as they lose 50m being 5th and lose out on the performance based emirates deal.

ReputationRep:
    should've got mario gomez for 15m when you could, only a year ago he was banging in 41 goals a season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Squirtle-)
    They're all in it together.

The board and Wenger are both responsible for Arsenal's fall from grace. Both of them need to leave if Arsenal want to get back to the top again.

But since I can't see any manager that can come in and do a much better job, you might as well keep Wenger, extend his contract and carry on challenging for fourth every season.
    What do you want the board to do ? Force players on him ? People chuck in the board cause they don't wanna accept its all wengers doing and by venting at them as well it doesn't seem so bad

ReputationRep:
    Gazidis doesnt deal with transfers Wenger does, Gazidis said on his twitter before he decativated it that Arsenal have money to spend but they respect Wenger's "footballing decisions". Wenger had "faith" in his existing squad already and thats why he has been reluctant to spend and thats why its his fault

if it was up to wenger, he wouldn't have even announced that there was 70M available to spend at the start of the summer

ReputationRep:
    I agree here. The thing is that they can always sell bale in january too to Real, which could see them ahead of arsenal/us so even if they dip in form when he leaves(he'll get a better deal too as it's january) it won't affect them too much. FFP won't affect them either as the financial year starts in april iirc and they'd get the money in mid-season. So eitherway spurs are in a really strong situation atm.

I don't know. I think that they needed the money for that emirates deal, so then they'll say that missing out on the CL would cause them to lose out on such players as they lose 50m being 5th and lose out on the performance based emirates deal.
    Yeah agreed we don't know what would have happened if they hadn't qualified. But this year it looks like the league is going to be so unpredictable especially at the top. I wouldn't bet against Spurs, Arsenal or even Liverpool making the top 4. And then theres the question of who is gonna win the league? It's gonna be a very interesting season thats for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** did Wenger keep on announcing we had a 'war chest' to spend this summer. If Spurs manage to capture Willian and/or Lamela then they will be right up there. Why the hell isn't Wenger going for these calibre of players instead of failing to sign players in positions which aren't even needed. He needs to realise the fans want success and reaching the top four isn't a trophy. I have a genuine fear if we don't qualify next year that we will end up losing Jack Wilshere, we can't afford to lose him at all.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal FC Supporter
    I'm actually so depressed right now... Only 13 days left to make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Roma's representatives are in London to sell Borriello to West Ham, not Lamela...

ReputationRep:
    Bergkamp, Ljungberg and Vieira will be in the Fifa14 Legendary XI :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r4dical)
    Why the **** did Wenger keep on announcing we had a 'war chest' to spend this summer. If Spurs manage to capture Willian and/or Lamela then they will be right up there. Why the hell isn't Wenger going for these calibre of players instead of failing to sign players in positions which aren't even needed. He needs to realise the fans want success and reaching the top four isn't a trophy. I have a genuine fear if we don't qualify next year that we will end up losing Jack Wilshere, we can't afford to lose him at all.
    I reckon jack wilshere would look good in blue... But seriously it's an absolute farce what has happened,. It seems like the announcement was made for tickets to be sold. It's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    Apparently Roma's representatives are in London to sell Borriello to West Ham, not Lamela...
    SSN are saying that Lamelas agent is meeting up with franco baldini or whatever his name is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    http://www.football-italia.net/38544...ottenham-talks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    What do you want the board to do ? Force players on him ? People chuck in the board cause they don't wanna accept its all wengers doing and by venting at them as well it doesn't seem so bad
    Don't get me wrong. Wenger has to take a huge amount of blame for everything that's going on.

But there's two ways we can look at this:

1) Kroenke and the board (K + the board) want to turn Arsenal into a money making machine (e.g. high ticket prices). So they want a manager who is going to make them a profit in transfers nearly every season, while still coming 4th and competing in the CL. Wenger is perfect for this. There are so many quotes directly from Wenger that he doesn't want to pay over the odds for quality players. K + the board may share Wenger's views on this since they want to make as much money as possible. Paying over the odds for quality players will obviously reduce their pool of money.

Without the addition of quality players to keep Arsenal competitive, there is a lack of ambition within the club. So quality players like RVP are allowed to leave to make the board a profit, some of which they'll add to their pockets.

Of course, Wenger doesn't really care. He just wants to continue his 'project' to try and get kids to play amazing football and conquer the world. What a pipe dream. Of course, he's going to continue to pursue his delusions since many Arsenal 'fans' are so far up his arse and will make excuses for all his failures. So there's never been much pressure on him to change.

Hence K + the board and Wenger are in it together. It's all a money making scheme. The board are happy to keep Wenger to get more money for themselves and hence, make him one of the highest paid managers in the world to keep up this scam, where they rip fans off for millions. Wenger is happy to continue being stubborn and fulfill his pipe dream while getting a huge pay cheque for it.

Also remember that rich people like Usmanov have been slightly suppressed by high ranked people at Arsenal. They could have sold the club to him but they refused. Perhaps, selling to Usmanov would have put in jeopardy their aim of sucking as much money out of Arsenal.

2) Or maybe, the board are actually quite innocent in all this. They might acknowledge that they don't know that much about football and hence felt that they were better off leaving things into Wenger's hands.

The fact that Wenger was adored by so many Arsenal fans and many of the media around the world may have reinforced the view that "Arsene knows best" and he's better off in charge of footballing matters.

But they realised that a lot of fans were getting frustrated at the lack of success for the past 8 years. So they had been stocking up over £150m in reserves for Wenger to spend when he gives up on his 'youth project' and wants to make Arsenal successful again. Since Wenger had so much backing from the fans and hence a lot of power, they weren't going to force him to spend the cash or sack him for not obeying orders (in case they get backlash from the fans). But they would give hints that they want him to spend. Evidence for this is when members of the board have come out over the years and confirmed to the fans that Arsenal have a lot of money to spend. This indirectly is to pressure Wenger into spending money to improve Arsenal. But of course, Wenger refuses since he feels the players are overpriced.

But they're the board. Even if Wenger has so many fanboys, K + the board still has more power over him. So when Wenger feels that a quality player is overpriced, the board should just override him and pay the extra millions necessary to secure the deal.

Hence K + the board has to take some blame.

All evidence suggests that (2) is a lot closer to the truth than (1). (1) is based on a lot of speculation whereas (2) has a lot more facts to back it up. However, I wouldn't rule out (1). It's not impossible.

But to end this post, there can be no doubt that Wenger has to take a lot of the blame. There is so much evidence that Arsenal have money and Wenger feels that players are overpriced and won't be willing to pay the money the club demands for the player. Anyone who says otherwise is lying, a Wenger fanboy and a disgrace to Arsenal and football.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.